Forums - Movies Discussion - You going to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi this weekend? How was it? 220 million first weekend domestic, more than entire Justice League run

I laughed throughout the whole movie. It ripped off entire scenes from the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Poor Mark Hamill looked ashamed to be involved.

If you go into the movie expecting that it will suck like I did, you'll have a blast. It's MST3K bad. Frickin' hilarious!

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
amp316 said:
I laughed throughout the whole movie. It ripped off entire scenes from the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Poor Mark Hamill looked ashamed to be involved.

If you go into the movie expecting that it will suck like I did, you'll have a blast. It's MST3K bad. Frickin' hilarious!

oh c'mon there are multiple posts here saying it has original ideas and takes risks, being "unlike any other Star Wars movie" and now you're telling me that it's ripping off older movies in the series again.

Well maybe I'm going to like it as well, since now my personal expectations have hit rock bottom.

Barozi said:
amp316 said:

oh c'mon there are multiple posts here saying it has original ideas and takes risks, being "unlike any other Star Wars movie" and now you're telling me that it's ripping off older movies in the series again.

Well maybe I'm going to like it as well, since now my personal expectations have hit rock bottom.

Wait until you watch the throne room scene from ROTJ again...

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Barozi said:
amp316 said:

I don't really get the "breaks the mold" comments. I mean, he does wildly unexpected things with characters that don't make sense, and doesn't feel the need to explain plot holes, but that's not really treading new ground, its just bad film making. 

The actual story line and scenes aren't all that different than anything thats come before.  He just is the first to not give a shit about background.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

I heard that it was horrible from enough people that I I trust so I'm not bothering to watch it.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
I heard that it was horrible from enough people that I I trust so I'm not bothering to watch it.

I honestly wish I had not seen it. With as big of Star Wars fan as I am, there's no way that anyone could've convinced me not to see it, but, man, I wish I didn't know what they did with these characters.

Just got back. I give it a tentative 7.5/10, though I feel like I will need to see it again to give it a proper final rating. 

The good:
-It's nowhere near as formulaic as episode 7, and therefore much less predictable
-Poe and Phasma actually get some screentime after barely getting any in Episode 7 despite being billed as main character for that movie
-It's not afraid to take risks
-Good space battle sequences
-Good Rey and Ben versus Imperial Guard battle sequence
-Good chemistry between Rose and Finn, and a good set up for a love triangle between Rey, Rose, and Finn

The bad: 
-Pacing problems
-Not all of the risks pay off
-A bit of cringey dialogue
-First Star Wars movie without a climactic lightsaber battle (one of my favorite things about Star Wars)
-Wasted opportunity to not have Lando come in with a fleet at the end and engage the First Order fleet to give them time to escape from Krait)
-Luke is a bit sad in this movie, feels like a shell of a man, and though he recovers a bit at the end, he still kind of goes out with more of a fizzle than a bang
-Snoke feels like a bit of a waste, dying before we learn anything about him or his origins. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 15 December 2017

shikamaru317 said:

Just got back. I give it a tentative 8/10, though I feel like I will need to see it again to give it a proper final rating. 

The good:
-It's nowhere near as formulaic as the first movie, and therefore much less predictable
-Poe and Phasma actually get some screentime after barely getting any in Episode 7 despite being billed as main character for that movie
-It's not afraid to take risks

The bad: 
-Pacing problems
-Not all of the risks pay off
-A bit of cringey dialogue
-First Star Wars movie with out a climactic lightsaber battle (one of my favorite things about Star Wars)
-Wasted opportunity to not have Lando come in with a fleet at the end and engage the fleet to give them time to escape from Krait)

Wasn't just Phasma in the one scene at the end when they confront Finn? Or am I forgetting another scene? I didn't think she was on screen more than a couple minutes, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

epicurean said:
Aeolus451 said:

I honestly wish I had not seen it. With as big of Star Wars fan as I am, there's no way that anyone could've convinced me not to see it, but, man, I wish I didn't know what they did with these characters.

I'm not a big of star wars but i really the "universe". It has a lot of potential. After I watched The force awakens, I was worried that the new films would all be canon-breaking, plot hole ridden, nonsensical cash cows. I really don't like it when non-fans try to make films or shows based on books or some other kind of source material because they don't like or respect the source material so they rarely ever do it justice. I saw that disney bought fox so any of the IPs like dead pool are in their hands. 

I think ultimately, all other things aside, the worst thing about this movie is that it leaves things pretty much exactly where they started, and it really drove home the point that Star Wars is never going to end. I mean sure, it's somewhat expected that cash cows will get milked for all they're worth, and I suppose as long as the product is good, that's fine, but this just had me like.....ya......this is never ever going away. Great stories have a beginning, middle, and end. This movie, and the main Star Wars franchise moving forward, has a beginning, middle, and then cycles back around to an alternate beginning. Everyone might not pick up on this right away, but I suspect it will get real old real quick for many.