By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - You going to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi this weekend? How was it? 220 million first weekend domestic, more than entire Justice League run

shikamaru317 said:

Just got back. I give it a tentative 8/10, though I feel like I will need to see it again to give it a proper final rating. 

The good:
-It's nowhere near as formulaic as the first movie, and therefore much less predictable
-Poe and Phasma actually get some screentime after barely getting any in Episode 7 despite being billed as main character for that movie
-It's not afraid to take risks

The bad: 
-Pacing problems
-Not all of the risks pay off
-A bit of cringey dialogue
-First Star Wars movie with out a climactic lightsaber battle (one of my favorite things about Star Wars)
-Wasted opportunity to not have Lando come in with a fleet at the end and engage the fleet to give them time to escape from Krait)

Wasn't just Phasma in the one scene at the end when they confront Finn? Or am I forgetting another scene? I didn't think she was on screen more than a couple minutes, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Around the Network
epicurean said:
Aeolus451 said:
I heard that it was horrible from enough people that I I trust so I'm not bothering to watch it.

I honestly wish I had not seen it. With as big of Star Wars fan as I am, there's no way that anyone could've convinced me not to see it, but, man, I wish I didn't know what they did with these characters.

I'm not a big of star wars but i really the "universe". It has a lot of potential. After I watched The force awakens, I was worried that the new films would all be canon-breaking, plot hole ridden, nonsensical cash cows. I really don't like it when non-fans try to make films or shows based on books or some other kind of source material because they don't like or respect the source material so they rarely ever do it justice. I saw that disney bought fox so any of the IPs like dead pool are in their hands. 

I think ultimately, all other things aside, the worst thing about this movie is that it leaves things pretty much exactly where they started, and it really drove home the point that Star Wars is never going to end. I mean sure, it's somewhat expected that cash cows will get milked for all they're worth, and I suppose as long as the product is good, that's fine, but this just had me like.....ya......this is never ever going away. Great stories have a beginning, middle, and end. This movie, and the main Star Wars franchise moving forward, has a beginning, middle, and then cycles back around to an alternate beginning. Everyone might not pick up on this right away, but I suspect it will get real old real quick for many.

It's another prequel. Some of it is AotC-tier.

Enough of it was good to make me like it, barely.

I saw it this morning. I really liked it a lot. I would put it as better than Force Awakens (and the prequels too). Not quite as good as the original trilogy, but really no films are, so that is kind of an impossible standard. I really enjoyed myself, and I look forward to watching again.

Around the Network

Also, I think the resistance leaders spend more time picking their outfits than talking strategy lol. I suppose the movie wouldn't be pleased if I make a joke about how this is what happens when you put women in charge.

The last jedi is a disaster, sometimes I can see why people can like or hate a film and see where they're coming from but I cant find any reason to defend this. When someone says they liked it I cant help but wonder why, it is a completely broken movie with only a few good scenes.

$45M for a Thursday night preview is insanely high. In comparison, Beauty and the Beast, the highest grossing film of 2017 so far, brought in $16M on its Thursday preview. That’s almost 3 times as much. Star Wars is going to hit some serious numbers, especially after the resoundingly positive reviews.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Uh... It's almost like they forgot all the plot points established in TFA. The story is a train wreck and the humor is cheesy to the point of derailing tension in key scenes. Another huge issue was that every time I thought the movie would hit that climatic peak, it would deescalate until the movie simply just ended. However, porgs are cool and BB8 is still awesome.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

It was better than 7 but not by much. Both within my bottom Star Wars films.

Especially 3 moments really ruin it and it has to do with the characters;

Leia wtf
Snoke...
Luke meh