By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If Sea of Thieves Succeeds?

 

What will happen with Rare if Sea of Thieves is successful?

They'll make more new IPs 13 35.14%
 
They'll resurrect some of their old IPs 8 21.62%
 
They'll separate from Microsoft 4 10.81%
 
They'll expand into other genres 3 8.11%
 
Other (please specify) 9 24.32%
 
Total:37
eva01beserk said:
So If MS gets a succesfull game as service they will make old single player niche games? Yes that makes perfect sense.

For rare's sake and all the fans that are hoping for some revival of old rare game, you better hope sea of thieves fails, or else they will be stuck on that single game for ever.

No. Gamers want good games in general. Hoping for a game to fail for the assumption of older games to be revived is stupid. 

This is an industry with thousands of employees. KI was a revival and wasnt made by Rare. Also nothing is stopping MS from using a small team at Rare to monitor Sea of Thieves while they continue to innovate and create.

Id rather play an amazing game now than a bad one in hope of a revival of an older game.

If anything, if Rare succeeds with Sea of Thieves than it gives confidants to the brand and there owners to create more, not the other way around. Thats silly.

If Sea of Thieves fails, it has more of a chance of Rare being absorbed rather than MS giving them more freedom.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 12 December 2017

Around the Network

I’m looking forward to this game. I don’t care what happens afterwards as long as this game is good.



Rare is owned by MS so I don't think they'll go anywhere unless they are financially in a good enough position to leave. If they left, would they even have any IPs to take with them or does MS own them?!

If SoT does well, MS will have them milk SoT, after all, it is GaaS. Best case scenario, they will have a dedicated team working on expansion passes and updates whilst another team at Rare starts on a new similar project.



Azzanation said:
eva01beserk said:
So If MS gets a succesfull game as service they will make old single player niche games? Yes that makes perfect sense.

For rare's sake and all the fans that are hoping for some revival of old rare game, you better hope sea of thieves fails, or else they will be stuck on that single game for ever.

No. Gamers want good games in general. Hoping for a game to fail for the assumption of older games to be revived is stupid. 

This is an industry with thousands of employees. KI was a revival and wasnt made by Rare. Also nothing is stopping MS from using a small team at Rare to monitor Sea of Thieves while they continue to innovate and create.

Id rather play an amazing game now than a bad one in hope of a revival of an older game.

If anything, if Rare succeeds with Sea of Thieves than it gives confidants to the brand and there owners to create more, not the other way around. Thats silly.

If Sea of Thieves fails, it has more of a chance of Rare being absorbed rather than MS giving them more freedom.

Yea you are right, wanting a game to fail is not gona help anything. Definetly wont give rare more freedom. Unless is a game like battlefront, thats something that everyone can agree that must fail so publishers stop pushing greedy microtransations on us. 

What I dont agree with you is about suport to games we want to see more off. Even if the game is not as good, if is going in the direction we would like I say we suport it, even if it means buying a game we dont like very much. We have to vote with our wallets and if there is money in that direction then more devs would risk venturing in that direction. Then maybe a good game will come that we will like.

I know it sound dificult to say buy a crappy game now in hopes of a good game maybe coming, but such is the position we are in. Games as service, online multyplayers, microtransactions, loot boxes, preorder bonuses, season passess, all this garbage was voted by consumers when they purchased it in masses wich led devs to keep at it. While it will not stop, we can at least push a little in the direction we want by buying some iffy games.



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

It doesn’t take nearly as big a staff to maintain and support a game as it does to build one. Sea of Thieves can succeed, and Rare can move on to other things. Hell, don’t they already have another game in the works? lol.

I don’t have any worries about them becoming “Black Flag Studios” or something dedicated to churning out sequels. This seems more like a game that would just be expanded upon, not milked with sequels. You know, like Destiny should have been handled.



Around the Network
ThisGuyFooks said:
FIT_Gamer said:
Rare will then become Poop Deck Studios and be destined to make SoT games for the rest of their Microsoft careers.

Just like 343 with Halo, Coalition with Gears and Turn 10 with Forza, if Sea of Thieves manages to catch people's attention, the studio will turn around the SoT franchise forever.

Microsoft usually amputates the studio creativity when they hit the jackpot with a games franchise.

Then that's another reason for Nintendo to buy back Rare's pre-Microsoft franchises, if Microsoft is just gonna leave them to rot in favor of Sea of Thieves and new IPs.



CaptainExplosion said:
ThisGuyFooks said:

Just like 343 with Halo, Coalition with Gears and Turn 10 with Forza, if Sea of Thieves manages to catch people's attention, the studio will turn around the SoT franchise forever.

Microsoft usually amputates the studio creativity when they hit the jackpot with a games franchise.

Then that's another reason for Nintendo to buy back Rare's pre-Microsoft franchises, if Microsoft is just gonna leave them to rot in favor of Sea of Thieves and new IPs.

They had a great relationship with Nintendo back in the days.

Even tho the personal is not the same from back then, if there is a company that would take advantage of the studio is Nintendo.

Not that Sony wouldn't, but Rare's style of games is more similar to Nintendo's.



CaptainExplosion said:
ThisGuyFooks said:

Just like 343 with Halo, Coalition with Gears and Turn 10 with Forza, if Sea of Thieves manages to catch people's attention, the studio will turn around the SoT franchise forever.

Microsoft usually amputates the studio creativity when they hit the jackpot with a games franchise.

Then that's another reason for Nintendo to buy back Rare's pre-Microsoft franchises, if Microsoft is just gonna leave them to rot in favor of Sea of Thieves and new IPs.

You do realise that MS built 343i and Turn10 from the ground up to make Halo and Forza games right. Apart from the Coalition which will still make other games after there Gears Trilogy. What other companies have they locked away making only 1 IP that has not been made from the ground up to do so?

Rare is a company with IPs under its name. There is a big difference between 343 and Rare and how they are run. 



MS will keep their policy of deciding what the studio does.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:
eva01beserk said:
So If MS gets a succesfull game as service they will make old single player niche games? Yes that makes perfect sense.

For rare's sake and all the fans that are hoping for some revival of old rare game, you better hope sea of thieves fails, or else they will be stuck on that single game for ever.

No. Gamers want good games in general. Hoping for a game to fail for the assumption of older games to be revived is stupid. 

This is an industry with thousands of employees. KI was a revival and wasnt made by Rare. Also nothing is stopping MS from using a small team at Rare to monitor Sea of Thieves while they continue to innovate and create.

Id rather play an amazing game now than a bad one in hope of a revival of an older game.

If anything, if Rare succeeds with Sea of Thieves than it gives confidants to the brand and there owners to create more, not the other way around. Thats silly.

If Sea of Thieves fails, it has more of a chance of Rare being absorbed rather than MS giving them more freedom.

Yes, because MS is known to have devs making new IPs when they have a strong IP they could make a sequel off... sure.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."