By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If Sea of Thieves Succeeds?

 

What will happen with Rare if Sea of Thieves is successful?

They'll make more new IPs 13 35.14%
 
They'll resurrect some of their old IPs 8 21.62%
 
They'll separate from Microsoft 4 10.81%
 
They'll expand into other genres 3 8.11%
 
Other (please specify) 9 24.32%
 
Total:37
ThisGuyFooks said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Then that's another reason for Nintendo to buy back Rare's pre-Microsoft franchises, if Microsoft is just gonna leave them to rot in favor of Sea of Thieves and new IPs.

They had a great relationship with Nintendo back in the days.

Even tho the personal is not the same from back then, if there is a company that would take advantage of the studio is Nintendo.

Not that Sony wouldn't, but Rare's style of games is more similar to Nintendo's.

I know, and it's so hard watching them not being able to work together anymore!

Maybe Nintendo and Microsoft can cut a deal, since they seemed to have done so with Mojang, which is also a Microsoft subsidiary.



Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
ThisGuyFooks said:

They had a great relationship with Nintendo back in the days.

Even tho the personal is not the same from back then, if there is a company that would take advantage of the studio is Nintendo.

Not that Sony wouldn't, but Rare's style of games is more similar to Nintendo's.

I know, and it's so hard watching them not being able to work together anymore!

Maybe Nintendo and Microsoft can cut a deal, since they seemed to have done so with Mojang, which is also a Microsoft subsidiary.

I miss Rare's glory days as much as the next guy, but I think you need to let the dream die.

Rare isn't Rare anymore. Even if they wanted to resurrect Conker or Banjo or Perfect Dark, they wouldn't do it justice.

Nintendo is still making Rare-like games even without its IPs. Something like SMO plays like Mario X Banjo. Heck, Donkey Kong Country Returns is literally an extension of Rare's work on SNES. Maybe we'll even see a DKR sequel next year.



Veknoid_Outcast said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I know, and it's so hard watching them not being able to work together anymore!

Maybe Nintendo and Microsoft can cut a deal, since they seemed to have done so with Mojang, which is also a Microsoft subsidiary.

I miss Rare's glory days as much as the next guy, but I think you need to let the dream die.

Rare isn't Rare anymore. Even if they wanted to resurrect Conker or Banjo or Perfect Dark, they wouldn't do it justice.

Nintendo is still making Rare-like games even without its IPs. Something like SMO plays like Mario X Banjo. Heck, Donkey Kong Country Returns is literally an extension of Rare's work on SNES. Maybe we'll even see a DKR sequel next year.

But I've yet to see Nintendo make games that feel like the next GoldenEye or the next Killer Instinct.



spemanig said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Once I did a thread where we discussed what would happen to Rare if Sea of Thieves failed, considering how big this game is and how much Rare has riding on it.

Now to have a more positive discussion, I'd like to discuss with you what will happen to Rare if Sea of Thieves is successful.

I believe Rare, and for that matter Microsoft as well, will invest further into classic Rare franchises like Banjo-Kazooie or Conker, because it's pretty much common sense.

What do you think will happen if Sea of Thieves is successful?

No it's not. It's a new franchise. If it's a success, investing in a sequel or more new franchises is what is common sense.

Kind of like Minecraft (also owned by Microsoft)? As others have said, if this game is a success, it's going to be a very long time before you ever see a sequel if at all. This is the sort of game that receives DLC until the end of time.



CaptainExplosion said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I miss Rare's glory days as much as the next guy, but I think you need to let the dream die.

Rare isn't Rare anymore. Even if they wanted to resurrect Conker or Banjo or Perfect Dark, they wouldn't do it justice.

Nintendo is still making Rare-like games even without its IPs. Something like SMO plays like Mario X Banjo. Heck, Donkey Kong Country Returns is literally an extension of Rare's work on SNES. Maybe we'll even see a DKR sequel next year.

But I've yet to see Nintendo make games that feel like the next GoldenEye or the next Killer Instinct.

But you don't need Rare to do that.



Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
CaptainExplosion said:

But I've yet to see Nintendo make games that feel like the next GoldenEye or the next Killer Instinct.

But you don't need Rare to do that.

Maybe not, but Nintendo doesn't seem like they've given us replacements to either of the games I mentioned. They (alongside Retro Studios for some) have replaced Perfect Dark with Metroid Prime, they have made new Donkey Kong Country games, but no crazy ultra-violent tournament fighting game or spy-themed FPS.



CaptainExplosion said:
VGPolyglot said:

But you don't need Rare to do that.

Maybe not, but Nintendo doesn't seem like they've given us replacements to either of the games I mentioned. They (alongside Retro Studios for some) have replaced Perfect Dark with Metroid Prime, they have made new Donkey Kong Country games, but no crazy ultra-violent tournament fighting game or spy-themed FPS.

Why do they need to fill such specific styles though?



VGPolyglot said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Maybe not, but Nintendo doesn't seem like they've given us replacements to either of the games I mentioned. They (alongside Retro Studios for some) have replaced Perfect Dark with Metroid Prime, they have made new Donkey Kong Country games, but no crazy ultra-violent tournament fighting game or spy-themed FPS.

Why do they need to fill such specific styles though?

Because that's what Rare did, and they did that very well, but we won't get either Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat on Switch, and with Free Radical in shambles there won't be another Time Splitters.



CaptainExplosion said:
VGPolyglot said:

Why do they need to fill such specific styles though?

Because that's what Rare did, and they did that very well, but we won't get either Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat on Switch, and with Free Radical in shambles there won't be another Time Splitters.

Why do they need to do what Rare did?



VGPolyglot said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Because that's what Rare did, and they did that very well, but we won't get either Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat on Switch, and with Free Radical in shambles there won't be another Time Splitters.

Why do they need to do what Rare did?

Because there's probably no way we'll ever get anything like the old Rare if they don't.