By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If Sea of Thieves Succeeds?

What will happen with Rare if Sea of Thieves is successful?

They'll make more new IPs 13 35.14%

They'll resurrect some of their old IPs 8 21.62%

They'll separate from Microsoft 4 10.81%

They'll expand into other genres 3 8.11%

Other (please specify) 9 24.32%

Total:37

"I believe Rare, and for that matter Microsoft as well, will invest further into classic Rare franchises like Banjo-Kazooie or Conker, because it's pretty much common sense."

This is literally the exact opposite of what Sea of Thieves, and it's possible success, would stand for.

Oh yeah is this where I put my prediction?

Okay well if Sea of Thieves is successful they will keep adding content and make it like a standard games as a service game. Then we'll either get a new IP next gen that's similar, or Sea of Thieves 2. 

Around the Network

I can't see why it'll do much better than Quantum Break

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I appreciate the sentiment but I think the success of an online multiplayer-focused, shared-world, games-as-a-service title would only further deter Rare from making the kind of games that defined its halycon days.

If it's even a moderate success Rare will mainly focus on maintaining Seas of Thieves as a service. Games like that are not just finish game release it and move on to next project besides patches. The Rare people want from the N64 era works at Playtonic now. People need to accept that that rare they want isn't happening at MS.

CaptainExplosion said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
"I believe Rare, and for that matter Microsoft as well, will invest further into classic Rare franchises like Banjo-Kazooie or Conker, because it's pretty much common sense."

This is literally the exact opposite of what Sea of Thieves, and it's possible success, would stand for.

And why's that Mr. Positive?

It has nothing to do with being positive or negative, I don't understand your point there. What you're saying is just rather nonsensical. A pirate co-operative online experience that's a new IP would not mean the revival of Banjo Kazooie or Conker, if Rare wanted to do something safe they would have just started with those projects and expanded out to new ventures. They don't even have the talent to make those games, and by that I mean people experienced in 3D platformers. Yooka Laylee had that and it still failed. Microsoft won't see a reason to make a new Kazooie or Conker game, and while I think there are many reasons they should invest in making new ones, it's hard to get that kind of project on the ground.

What you wrote was an incredible leap in logic based on wishful thinking. Me explaining that isn't inherently negative, I mean I would like a new Conker or Banjo game, it's just not likely. The genres aren't even similar, you would have to go out of your way to try and make the connection between the two ideas. I think if Sea of Thieves is successful then they'll just bank on that IP, or even make a new IP similar to it.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

I was being sarcastic, because your responses are usually negative and cynical.

Even if it's just wishful thinking, it's to give people hope of maybe seeing old favorites come back.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying those games are definitely not going to happen, just that I don't think Sea of Thieves will have an effect.

And also those games are definitely not going to happen. 

Rare will then become Poop Deck Studios and be destined to make SoT games for the rest of their Microsoft careers.

I think they will support the first sea of thieves and work on "Big" Game addons or they will Produce SoT 2.

CaptainExplosion said:

Once I did a thread where we discussed what would happen to Rare if Sea of Thieves failed, considering how big this game is and how much Rare has riding on it.

Now to have a more positive discussion, I'd like to discuss with you what will happen to Rare if Sea of Thieves is successful.

I believe Rare, and for that matter Microsoft as well, will invest further into classic Rare franchises like Banjo-Kazooie or Conker, because it's pretty much common sense.

What do you think will happen if Sea of Thieves is successful?

No it's not. It's a new franchise. If it's a success, investing in a sequel or more new franchises is what is common sense.

If it's a success then Rare will become tied to the continued success of the franchise. They won't make other games and when the SoT brand runs out of steam Rare staff will be in line at the Jobcentre.

Other Rare IP are already being considered anyway by Microsoft but they don't want Rare handling them, already we have Killer Instinct, but we know Insomniac games were approached to do a new Conker and it's likely Microsoft will keep meekly asking devs to take on Rare IP, but SoT success will have no bearing on this.