By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Future of Today's Games

Nubmer 1 thing I am looking for out of this is the return of handhelds and gaming phones. Give me a unified library and OS across mobile, tv, and VR next gen. I wouldn't mind more hardware variations in the TV and VR space while they're at it. A $399.99 base model is great, but, an option for a $999.99+ option for the Core Gamers & Audio/Video nerds would be highly appreciated. Still pisses me off that I can buy a $1,000+ MP3 or Blu-ray player, but I am limited to a $499.99 console. And before anyone says it, no, PC is not the answer. I, like millions of others prefer consoles, and plenty are willing to pay for a high end option.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
TomaTito said:
JEMC said:
What?! And lose the oportunity to launch 4K remasters of current games to avoid game droughts? I doubt it

That's the first thing that came to mind, this option would only benefit the consumer since remasters would not be needed.
The publishers wont be able to get that extra income and filler material would disappear.

PS: Thanks for the bump

Third parties will keep using those techniques because it makes their life easier, resulting in a benefit for us. But I'm not sure if First/Second party studios will do that. Given that they only have to care for two very similar machines, they'll probably do something more custom that won't work in future machines, allowing them to keep launching upgraded version of those games. But it's just my pessimistic opinion.

Also, you're welcome.

SegataSanshiro said:
It's not addressed in the video and honestly, I have no fucking clue what it's talking about. I was thinking just on the headline alone. I miss the days when games went more for style and used a lot of colors. Nintendo thankfully still does that. I look at a game like ARMS and it's a great looking game. Detailed models and fabrics on the models,1080P and my screen is exploding with color. I'm more enthralled with how this game looks than any boring game aiming for more dull realism. I can only imagine when Switch 2 has a possible Volta which would nearly match a base PS4 and what Nintendo could do with that.

What the video says is that thanks to some of the techs used in current games, we may be able to run them in future PS/Xbox/Ninty machines at higher resolutions, more fps and better AA without having to buy new versions of those games or downloading patches.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Well, if Microsoft wants to push for better scalability: I won't stop them.
Just as long as the games are not capped on PC, it is a good thing.

This may be a double edged sword for their console business.

VGPolyglot said:
Ruler said:

well to be fair PS1 games had faster loading times and texture filter on PS2

I don't think that's comparable.

It pretty much is, long loading times and pixilated textures where the performance and graphics problems of their time 

Yeah, remember when I made those threads about scalability?

Unlocked fps and dynamic resolution should be features in all games so they can instantly take advantage of new hardware.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Conina said:
Well, it's about time!

PC games have profited from scalability for decade.

More like two decades.

Try almost 4 decades since pretty much DOS came along in 1981.

Ruler said:
Conina said:
Well, it's about time!

PC games have profited from scalability for decade.

well to be fair PS1 games had faster loading times and texture filter on PS2

PC was in another league entirely. Almost a generation or two ahead in some aspects.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 11 December 2017

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Zkuq said:

More like two decades.

Backwards compatibility, sure, but scalability? Not so much. I'd say PC games don't scale very well before 3D became common, which would be roughly two decades ago. I'm sure there are exceptions, as well as mods, but overall, scalability for old 2D games isn't that great.

Zkuq said:
Pemalite said:

Backwards compatibility, sure, but scalability? Not so much. I'd say PC games don't scale very well before 3D became common, which would be roughly two decades ago. I'm sure there are exceptions, as well as mods, but overall, scalability for old 2D games isn't that great.

I agree, scalability came with 3D engines. Shit became real with games like Unreal, Quake, Jedi Knight and Tomb Raider. ;)

Some older games like Wing Commander 1 + 2 had their problems with faster hardware... with no internal software brakes you needed additional apps to slow them down. Of course today DOSbox can fix that. Doom, Duke 3D, Dark Forces and System Shock had some limited scalability options (f.e. window size), but their full potential was unlocked with apps like Final Doom and eDuke32.

So two decades seem correct.

Last edited by Conina - on 11 December 2017

Zkuq said:
Pemalite said:

There is some scalability. You can apply some filters such as interpolation on 2D titles so it doesn't look as gangly on large and high resolution displays.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Zkuq said:

There is some scalability. You can apply some filters such as interpolation on 2D titles so it doesn't look as gangly on large and high resolution displays.

Eh. I still think scalability was a pretty small thing before 3D. I have to admit I haven't played a ton of 2D games from the pre-3D era, but I'm pretty sure none of the ones I've played have any scaling options (except for scaling the game view, à la Doom). With 3D, scalability is more of a rule than an exception, even though it might be somewhat restricted by today's standards (e.g. forced 4:3 aspect ratio and relatively low resolutions, although resolutions can often be edited more freely via config files).