Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2017 NPD Thread! PS4 > XBO > Switch

Farsala said:
Errorist76 said:

Nice cash in?!

They were basically selling both 189,- X1S and 499,- X1X at a loss....not sure if that's what cashing-in actually means...

 

I agree with the aforementioned statement btw. They should have sold it at 400,- no matter the loss, which could have made all the difference. Now Sony has essentially a 300-150,- price advantage for an already more attractive console. It's only gonna get worse if they don't cut price soon, which they probably will...angering early buyers just like they did at the X1 launch back then.

Nah I said cash in their pocket, since they kept the price so high they get more revenues from it. And of course hardcore launch buyers will pay more so it was smart of them to keep the price high. Of course they will cut the price in a timely manner, just like Sony did with the Pro, but MS has more room to cut since it is already so high.

Microsoft kept stating that they’re essentially selling X1X at a loss. We can safely assume an 189,- X1S was also sold at a loss. Revenue is only secondary if no profit comes from it. No cash in their pockets at all.



Around the Network
hudsoniscool said:
thismeintiel said:

Well, $349 =/= $399.  I think best case scenario is the X will be $299 in '19, either permanently or for Black Friday.

First of all a 2017 500$ console vs a 2019 400$ console won't be that big of a power difference. If it's 500$ sure it could be fairly large but 400 will probably be like the pro vs the x but roles reversed. And I think x would be 249-299 no higher than that.  The rate in which tech is increasing has slowed significantly. 

A 400$ console in 2019 would probably be a 9-10tf console with a ryzen CPU. The gpu would still be very comparable x to the ps5. There would be a very large difference in CPU though.

Nah, we're going to be getting something that has at least 2x the performance of the X's GPU.  Sony is going to want to be able to wow people with it being 2x+ more power than the X, which is supposed to be a beast.  And like you said, there is going to be a big difference between the Zen core CPU and the Jaguar cores found in the PS4/XBO.  Should see, at a minimum, 16 GB of GDDR6(X) RAM, maybe with 1-2 GB of DDR4 for the OS.  Sony's going to make sure they squeeze as much out of that $399 as possible.  Launching like they always do, taking a slight loss, but making up for it in game sales.



TheTruthHurts! said:
So.......to sum it up for November.

Sony is still killing it (as usually)!

Xbox is doing amazing and the X is a beast. (Guess it’s not going anywhere, 😉)

Nintendo is smoking hot and will continue to sell extremely well moving forward.

Seems everyone is doing great...I LOVE IT!

TheTruthHurts!



I don't get the hand waving away of switch say sales this month because sales will be better in December. It's not like Sony and MS consoles don't have good December sales as well. From looking at the numbers Nintendo has greater MoM increased from November to December but that seems to come down to the fact they don't do deals in November but how don't see how this is somehow good.

You can't claim switch is the next Wii every month it wins then back track when it doesn't sell out in either officer or November with Mario and plenty of stock.



Splatoon 2 ~100K in November

Skyrim Switch a little over 100K

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2173678/
https://www.resetera.com/posts/2190828/

Last edited by Sh1nn - on 16 December 2017

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
quickrick said:
SO switch is only did 750-770k. lmao thats pretty bad.
quickrick said:

console will be very front loaded it wont reach 3ds numbers. nintendo has 4 monster franchises out, plus its getting boost from thesmall user base that buys there home consoles, thats why its in front of 3ds.

quickrick said:

what? 3d mario is also huge, mario 3d land out sold NSMB 2. zelda is also huge. the game have gotten crazy critic acclaim. i'm willing to bet 2d mario wont beat mario odyssey in sales. mario odyssey in sales is a monster. 

First off, see the post I made just above about why the Switch's numbers aren't bad.

Second, saying the Switch won't match the 3DS after this short of a time span is a pretty ballsy claim, considering there is no consistent ratio between first-year sales and lifetime sales, even with just Nintendo systems. There is no reason to assume "Switch 2017 ≤ 3DS 2011, therefore Switch lifetime ≤ 3DS lifetime."

The Switch may have had four notable games this year, but Zelda and 3D Mario are not proven consistent system-sellers, MK8D was a re-release of 3-year-old Wii U game (re-releases never move any significant amount of hardware), and Splatoon was not a system-seller in the U.S. Also, simply being a critically-acclaimed game doesn't automatically make a title a system-seller. Many titles with a 90+ Metascore have failed to be system-sellers.

We still have the Gen VIII Pokemon game in the works, which will be a definite blockbusters, plus the likely Mario Kart 9 and Smash 5, and probably also price cuts and/or hardware revision in the future. The Switch's long-term sales are still up in the air, and I think it still has plenty of potential to outsell the 3DS. But for now, it's doing perfectly fine.

Yes the Switch numbers are good. But as much as we don't have numbers to really claim sub 3DS, we also don't have to claim over 3DS or Wii, but usually only the lower predictions are being trashed on.

BrittinShicks said:
The numbers being discussed here are STILL too low. Switch did much better than 900K. Why doesn't the industry get press coverage of the actual numbers? A summary of Nielsen TV ratings is discussed by the media nearly every day of the week. Why no mention of game sales? Let's all complain to the video game outlets and maybe they will FINALLY do a better job.

Anyway, Switch had a good month. Not a "great" month, but a good month, that we can all be proud of. Hopefully December will be even higher!

So you are saying NPD is lying about Switch sales?

reviniente said:
thismeintiel said:

You're not putting things into full context.  The Pro not only had stock issues at launch, as Sony underestimated demand, but it also launched just a month after it was announced.  Sony didn't really push it all that much, most likely because they didn't want to alienate their normal users that may have thought they were being abandoned.  MS, on the other hand, have talked about pretty much nothing but the X for a year and a half.  They had around an extra months worth of preorders to go towards launch numbers.  They also made sure that they had plenty of stock for launch.  And the fact that the power gap is much more significant over the base model, plus gave the power bragging rights back to Xbox fans, made it an easier sell.

The important thing is the X is not going to do what MS wanted it to do, reinvigorate XBO sales.

You're grasping at straws. The quote from the Resetera forum (from where we take the sales figure) puts PS4Pro sales, this November, at around 260,000 (or 65% less than the X). The X did better wether launches are aligned or not. And ultimately, isn't SONY responsible for managing the ill conceived launch of their own console? And what's with that 'The important thing is the X is not going to do what MS wanted it to do, reinvigorate XBO sales.' line? Are you really that emotionally invested in 'winning' the generation?

*Edited launch from lauch.

PS4Pro sales weren't ever really big, they are consistently around 20% of the total sales, so your point is? Sony launched PS4Pro for people to make better use of PSVR or the ones with 4K TV it was never ment to take the front row as MS have been doing with X1X. You are mixing strategies here.

flashfire926 said:
I love how some of the ps guys are desperately trying to paint a bad picture for xbox/nintendo.
Doing this just makes you look worse.
I mean, just admit that other consoles are doing well too and get a move on.

And I'm under the impression you never do bad comments about Sony right?

PortisheadBiscuit said:
flashfire926 said:
I love how some of the ps guys are desperately trying to paint a bad picture for xbox/nintendo.
Doing this just makes you look worse.
I mean, just admit that other consoles are doing well too and get a move on.

Exactly, the desperation is really palpable

Which desperation exactly? The desperation of keep selling more than others?

Farsala said:
Errorist76 said:

Nice cash in?!

They were basically selling both 189,- X1S and 499,- X1X at a loss....not sure if that's what cashing-in actually means...

 

I agree with the aforementioned statement btw. They should have sold it at 400,- no matter the loss, which could have made all the difference. Now Sony has essentially a 300-150,- price advantage for an already more attractive console. It's only gonna get worse if they don't cut price soon, which they probably will...angering early buyers just like they did at the X1 launch back then.

Nah I said cash in their pocket, since they kept the price so high they get more revenues from it. And of course hardcore launch buyers will pay more so it was smart of them to keep the price high. Of course they will cut the price in a timely manner, just like Sony did with the Pro, but MS has more room to cut since it is already so high.

How do you cash in making loss?

Sh1nn said:
Splatoon 2 ~100K in November

Skyrim Switch a lillte over 100K

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2173678/
https://www.resetera.com/posts/2190828/

Should we consider these numbers good or bad?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

thismeintiel said:
jason1637 said:

Why would Sony announce the PS5 in 2019?

Why wouldn't they? This year was most likely the peak year for the PS4. Next year will more than likely either be flat or only slightly down. But, 2019 is when we're going to start seeing the decline of these then 6 year old consoles. That would be a great time to keep PS momentum going and announce the PS5, especially if it's B/C. 

 

Besides, history shows 6 years is the standard lifespan of a Playstation generation.

PS1 - '94 to '00 = 6 years

PS2 - '00 to '06 = 6 years

 

The only outlier is the PS3, which lasted 7 years before its successor launched. Personally, I think that was due to it costing so much to make, Sony wanted to try and cover some the early losses. Not an issue this generation. Besides, when Sony called the Pro a mid-gen revision, I think they meant it. They also said they no longer want to get too far behind on technological advances. 

The PS4 is still selling really well and the Pro came out last year. Its very possible 2018 could be the peak year and I don't know why Sony will cut the PS4s sales by going with a PS5 in 2019. I think the PS5 is a 2020 thing. Or even 2021.



jason1637 said:
thismeintiel said:

Why wouldn't they? This year was most likely the peak year for the PS4. Next year will more than likely either be flat or only slightly down. But, 2019 is when we're going to start seeing the decline of these then 6 year old consoles. That would be a great time to keep PS momentum going and announce the PS5, especially if it's B/C. 

 

Besides, history shows 6 years is the standard lifespan of a Playstation generation.

PS1 - '94 to '00 = 6 years

PS2 - '00 to '06 = 6 years

 

The only outlier is the PS3, which lasted 7 years before its successor launched. Personally, I think that was due to it costing so much to make, Sony wanted to try and cover some the early losses. Not an issue this generation. Besides, when Sony called the Pro a mid-gen revision, I think they meant it. They also said they no longer want to get too far behind on technological advances. 

The PS4 is still selling really well and the Pro came out last year. Its very possible 2018 could be the peak year and I don't know why Sony will cut the PS4s sales by going with a PS5 in 2019. I think the PS5 is a 2020 thing. Or even 2021.

Yep, I  believe on a roughly 2 years after decline start for the next gen to launch... so 2020-2021 is my expectation as well, it will depend on how shap the decline become.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

I don't understand the strife over XB1X sales. Or any of these sales for that matter.

The One X sold well, a lot better than the PS4pro.... now while that could be explained in nummerous ways, it also doesnt mean anything. Its not gonna make much of a difference for MS if the last 4 years is anything to go by. Come January XB1 sales will drop off a cliff again. I would have thought 4 years of the same thing would have thought everyone including MS this by now.

The NS managed sub 800k sales...... so what? Like are we all forgetting the first PS4 November sales? It had its ass handed to it by the XB1. But look at it now, its outselling the XB1 by over 2:1 globally and has a respectable lead over it in NA. If you ask me, the NS is in good company, as history has shown that winning November or even December doesn't mean shit if you can't keep decent monthly sales for the rest of the year.



Intrinsic said:
I don't understand the strife over XB1X sales. Or any of these sales for that matter.

The One X sold well, a lot better than the PS4pro.... now while that could be explained in nummerous ways, it also doesnt mean anything. Its not gonna make much of a difference for MS if the last 4 years is anything to go by. Come January XB1 sales will drop off a cliff again. I would have thought 4 years of the same thing would have thought everyone including MS this by now.

The NS managed sub 800k sales...... so what? Like are we all forgetting the first PS4 November sales? It had its ass handed to it by the XB1. But look at it now, its outselling the XB1 by over 2:1 globally and has a respectable lead over it in NA. If you ask me, the NS is in good company, as history has shown that winning November or even December doesn't mean shit if you can't keep decent monthly sales for the rest of the year.

3:1 globally, 2:1 only on accumulated;



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994