By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Won November NPD ( PS4 1.54M, XBO 1.4M, NSW 770K)

Miyamotoo said:
NATO said:

He was asked if he would comment on the leak

He said the full report was incoming, he did not say it was fake, he did not say it was wrong, he simply suggested it was incomplete.

So he also did not said it was accurate, but he definitely confirmed its incomplete at least.

If it was false data, it wouldn't be "incomplete", "incomplete" implies it's correct but not all there, if it was false/wrong, it could not be incomplete because none of it would be real.

I know you really don't want to accept those switch numbers, but you're setting yourself up for a sting if you insist on going that route.

Around the Network

Good sales by everyone! I am slightly surprised that ps4 outsold xbox one with hard push on a new console and xbox one s was slightly cheaper as well.

Didnt ps4 have some stock issues on online shops?

NPD?¿??

I don´t think so. 

"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs

NATO said:
Miyamotoo said:

So he also did not said it was accurate, but he definitely confirmed its incomplete at least.

If it was false data, it wouldn't be "incomplete", "incomplete" implies it's correct but not all there, if it was false/wrong, it could not be incomplete because none of it would be real.

I know you really don't want to accept those switch numbers, but you're setting yourself up for a sting if you insist on going that route.

Fact is that he did not confirmed that those numbers are accurate, and that he didnt wrote they are wrong.

Its not point about numbers at all, if you go back to my first reply for OP, I just wrote that this are not official NPD informations and numbers and that we will have real NPD thread when we get official NPD informations, so that NPD dont need to be in headline of OP. Nothing more, nothing less. I mean even original thread in Resetera dont have NPD in headline just "Mizuho Securities:"

Miyamotoo said:
zorg1000 said:

First post-launch Nov NPD
DS-369k
PSP-???
360-511k
Wii-981k
PS3-466k
3DS-795k
Vita-215k
Wii U-225k
XBO-1.23m
PS4-831k
NSW-770k

Yup, terrible Switch numbers, and Nintendo is doomed like usual.

I still don't know if these numbers are true or not, but if they are, it was much different than what people were expecting from the Amazon thread.

Around the Network

Nvm, already addressed my point earlier

Last edited by 160rmf - on 08 December 2017

We reap what we sow

collint0101 said:
zorg1000 said:

First post-launch Nov NPD
DS-369k
PSP-???
360-511k
Wii-981k
PS3-466k
3DS-795k
Vita-215k
Wii U-225k
XBO-1.23m
PS4-831k
NSW-770k

Seems like the switch did pretty ok in the grand scheme of things. 

Ya it didnt do as well as i thought it would but without any bundles or discounts it still did pretty well. I should have looked at historical data and seen only 1 console ever had a 1+ million first (non launch) Nov.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Assuming these numbers are about right, that puts combined PS4+XBO sales at over 2.9M, a new record for combined PS+Xbox sales, beating out the previous record of Nov. 2015 (2835k). The best November last gen was Nov. 2011, which saw combined PS3+360 sales of 2.6M; that month now ranks #3 for best November for combined PS+Xbox sales. It's also the second-best November for an Xbox system ever, bested only by the 360's 1688k from Nov. 2011 (which is itself still the #2 best November performance ever behind only the Wii's showing in Nov. 2008). It also about ties with the PS4's performance in Nov. 2015, which was the #1 November ever for any PlayStation system, and the third-best November ever for a home console, bested only by the Wii and 360.

Also, it's worth pointing out that of the list of the Top 15 best November performances ever in the U.S. is utterly dominated by the Wii, 360, PS4, & XBO. The only other system to show in the list was the PS2, with its 1.3M sold in Nov. 2002 putting it at #7 (it's second-best November is all the way down at #17). The 360 takes the #2, #6, and #11 positions for 2011, 2010, and 2012, respectively. Not only does this show how freakishly popular the Wii was, it also shows how important November has become in recent years for PlayStation & Xbox. Prior to 2011, November was a much smaller portion of overall Q4 sales for the two brands. 2011 was when we really started to see aggressive Black Friday promotions, notably the temporary price cuts that are now the norm. While it's hard to say if November's growing importance has come at the expense of December, there's no doubt that November has been on the rise.

This does not seem to be the case for Nintendo, who have seen their relative Nov.-to-Dec. ratios jump around all over the place. 2011 saw the Wii drop a lot less in November than in December, with the two months having the second-closest Nov.-Dec. gap for Nintendo of the past 20 years outside of the launch years for the GameCube and Wii U (it gets beat by 2008, which saw the Wii's best November followed by a December that wasn't much bigger (can't say for sure, but since there weren't any big BF deals that I'm aware of, stock was likely the culprit).

Which brings me to the Switch. So, maybe it didn't break a million like most thought it might (Amazon showed it very close to the others, meaning it was very over-represented there). But there were also no big BF deals for the Switch, either. In the absence of such deals, I'm inclined to think we'll see a more typically lopsided holiday in December's favor like we've seen for most Nintendo systems throughout the years. It would not surprise me in the least if the Switch sold at least 1.4M in December. ~770k is not a bad month compared to how other systems did in November their first full Q4.

And with that, I'll wait until we get some confirmation of actual numbers before I update my charts.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

snyperdud said:
leo-j said:

I disagree, it wouldn’t be wise to sell the system at a loss, nearly 800,000 units while it sells gangbusters in Japan is a successful figure, it’s just playstation has become the market leader again worldwide, and it’s really on a crazy tip, 199 ps4 with blunray, Netflix, and the best game library, is hard to compete with 

Well the Switch deal on Black Friday wasn't a price cut (obviously) but instead they threw in an extra joycon. So why not cut the price to the equivalent of the cost of the Joycon? In my opinion, that would've been the better move. Once people own the console, they buy accessories, games, subscriptions etc. And they recoup any loss they may have sustained upon the inital purchase. But obviously for that to happen, they have to get the console in homes first, which they'd have an easier time of doing at a lower price point. 

I never heard of that extra joy con deal. Where was that? Anyways, it was still the Switch’s first BF so who would’ve guessed it would be discounted for that time of the year when the switch hasn’t even past it’s first full year and it’s still selling really well at $300? It’ll probably be discounted in the next holiday.

NATO said:
acdcste said:

Erm he actually said they get clearer results next week, which indicates the opposite to me. But we’ll see soon enough

No, he specifically said:

the full data release, including digital data, comes next week

Which indicates a more complete breakdown of sales data (inc software) is forthcoming.
Try harder.

What’s with the “try harder”, all it does is make you come off as an arse!