By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards 2017 winners

Looks like Zelda and Cuphead were the real darlings of the show. Cuphead, in particular, won best art direction against a bunch of games with much bigger budgets. Very impressive.

Around the Network

So the Underline is what won in those categories?

Why is GTS Underlined and FM7 bold?

So what won best racer? To save confusing just remove the Bold from FM7 or the Underline from GTS.

Also congrats to Zelda, its my GOTY for 2017

Last edited by Azzanation - on 10 December 2017

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Looks like Zelda and Cuphead were the real darlings of the show. Cuphead, in particular, won best art direction against a bunch of games with much bigger budgets. Very impressive.

And Hellblade.

Those 3 came on top.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Azzanation said:

So the Underline is what won in those categories?

Why is GTS Underlined and FM7 bold?

So what won best racer? To save confusing just remove the Bold from FM7 or the Underline from GTS.

Also congrats to Zelda, its my GOTY for 2017

Forza won.

JWeinCom said:
KLAMarine said:

It's been a while for me too but I recall being blown away by moments in U2 in ways U1 did not manage to.

I'm not arguing that it wasn't significantly better, but it's not a reinvention.  Breath of the Wild is a reinvention not because it's better (I actually think I like Skyward Sword slightly better myself), but because it significantly changes the conventions of the series.  Uncharted 2 basically does the same things Uncharted does, just better. The only major change is multiplayer.

Uncharted didn't need to reinvent itself though till part 4. Which had a considerable change in game play and some unscripted sections and containing some actual exploring. What Uncharted 2 did do very well where the animations, which all looked very fluently. Also Uncharted 2 was the first entry containing really big stepieces.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Qwark said:
JWeinCom said:

I'm not arguing that it wasn't significantly better, but it's not a reinvention.  Breath of the Wild is a reinvention not because it's better (I actually think I like Skyward Sword slightly better myself), but because it significantly changes the conventions of the series.  Uncharted 2 basically does the same things Uncharted does, just better. The only major change is multiplayer.

Uncharted didn't need to reinvent itself though till part 4. Which had a considerable change in game play and some unscripted sections and containing some actual exploring. What Uncharted 2 did do very well where the animations, which all looked very fluently. Also Uncharted 2 was the first entry containing really big stepieces.

The context of the conversation was that critics prefer games that reinvent themselves, with Uncharted 2's reception being an example.  So, that's what I was commenting on.  

Pavolink said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

And Hellblade.

Those 3 came on top.

Yes, true.  I forgot about Hellblade, mostly because I had never heard of that game before the awards show.  Might have to check it out.

After watching that lil musical montage for GOTY, it kinda made me want Mario Odyssey to win. Such a great song for the game. Zelda taking it though I don't mind, haha.

The show overall started well, but gradually declined as it went on. I felt their priorities were quite off. What surprises me the most was best RPG was only casually mentioned while others like Best Student Game got the stage. I would have switched them or at least have best RPG on the stage.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I have to say, these awards are pathetic and they actually don't mean shit to me.
Why? The fact that Horizon didn't win a single award is actually pretty much an insult to the creators. The game is freaking breathtaking and the fact it had the BEST music of the year (which they didn't even nominate it for) is absolute blasphemy! I actually feel sick to my stomach because of this and will never watch this darn show again.

Sad sad world.

StreaK said:
I have to say, these awards are pathetic and they actually don't mean shit to me.
Why? The fact that Horizon didn't win a single award is actually pretty much an insult to the creators. The game is freaking breathtaking and the fact it had the BEST music of the year (which they didn't even nominate it for) is absolute blasphemy! I actually feel sick to my stomach because of this and will never watch this darn show again.

Sad sad world.

This year had many great releases, so it shouldn't be that shocking that it didn't win any awards.