By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards 2017 winners

StreaK said:
I have to say, these awards are pathetic and they actually don't mean shit to me.
Why? The fact that Horizon didn't win a single award is actually pretty much an insult to the creators. The game is freaking breathtaking and the fact it had the BEST music of the year (which they didn't even nominate it for) is absolute blasphemy! I actually feel sick to my stomach because of this and will never watch this darn show again.

Sad sad world.

Like VGP said, 2017 was just such a packed year there was definitely some tough competition.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Miyamotoo said:

Game of the Year

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Agreed. So glad Breath of the Wild got the spot it deserved.

Best Game Direction

Again, agreed. While not every change it made to the Zelda formula was a good one, it all coalesced into a fantastic get with wonderful direction.

Best Narrative

What Remains of Edith Finch
Wouldn't know, never played it.

Best Art Direction

Cuphead
Thank God, this is just about the only title that artistically set itself apart. If Cuphead didn't win, I would have just thrown all of these results in the trash. Speaking of deal-breaking awards...

Best Score / Music

NieR: Automata
... If NieR had not won this section, I'd have organized riots.

Best Audio Design

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
Wouldn't know.

Best Performance

Melina Juergens, Hellblade
Still haven't played Hellblade.

Games for Impact

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

Was it really so good that it won't this many awards?

Best Ongoing Game

Overwatch
Gross. TF2: Blizzard Edition still won't die, huh?

Best Mobile Game

Who cares?

Best Handheld Game

Metroid: Samus Returns
I've had this since before launch... Still haven't played it.

Best VR / AR Game

Resident Evil 7

A Capcom game winning awards? Preposterous.

Best Action Game

Nioh
Wolfenstein II

First major disagreement. Wolfenstein wasn't even half the game NioH was.

Best Action / Adventure Game

And now we're back on point with a big old "duh".

Best Role Playing Game

Persona 5

It only took, what, six years?

Best Fighting Game

Injustice 2
I never played it, but I love DC so whatever.

Best Family Game

Super Mario Odyssey

Oh hey, there's a Mario game.

Best Strategy Game

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

What? Rabbids beat XCOM2? Excuse me?

Best Sports / Racing Game

GT Sport
And the king of racing remains as much.

Best Anticipated Game

The Last of Us Part II
Red Dead Redemption II
Monster Hunter World
Marvel’s Spider-Man
God of War

Honestly, any of these titles could have won this.

Best Independent Game

Cuphead

Best Debut Indie Game

Cuphead

Ending in double awards for a deserving title. I'd play it if I was a fan of bullet hell shooters. Sure is pretty, though.

Forza 7 won best racing game. The opening post is incorrect. 

XCOM vs Rabbids. Well from what I've heard, people didn't think the most recent XCOM was the best in the franchise or anything, but as for Rabbids, for an XCOM fan I could this as a breath of fresh air. Or not just XCOM, any game similar to that. Think Valkyrie Chronicles. When that came out it was greatly praised. Was it better than XCOM or Fire Emblem? Not gonna go into that, just going to point out its new. A niche genre like that is nice to get a new IP to come along. (yes Mario and Rabbids are not new IP, but you know what I mean)

Wolfenstein 2. My only complaint with Action award is that I can't for the life of me see a FPS as an action game. 

StreaK said:
I have to say, these awards are pathetic and they actually don't mean shit to me.
Why? The fact that Horizon didn't win a single award is actually pretty much an insult to the creators. The game is freaking breathtaking and the fact it had the BEST music of the year (which they didn't even nominate it for) is absolute blasphemy! I actually feel sick to my stomach because of this and will never watch this darn show again.

Sad sad world.

Yeah sad world where we have to read comments like this, grow up.

StreaK said:

Sad sad world.

Yeah I'd feel so insulted if my game was nominated for 6 VGA categories. Not.

Cant complain about the show, i actually liked it and the winners cant be refuted.

The only thing that is bothering me is PUBG being nominated for GOTY.

Now, that IS a joke.

The fact that a Beta game can be nominated for the most important award is just...silly.

Whats next? Star Citizen or something?

Around the Network

Nice that Nier Automata won an award. The game's soundtrack is godly.

I't almost a crime that Horizon didn't win anything. But the games that won in the categories Horizon was nominated all deserved the award at least equally. So it's not like it was robbed.

Take Hellblade. The game was boring as hell (:P) when it comes to actual gameplay and mechanics, but the categories in which it won were for aspects it did that truly stood above the others.

Last edited by Hynad - on 11 December 2017

irstupid said:
Azuren said:

Forza 7 won best racing game. The opening post is incorrect. 

XCOM vs Rabbids. Well from what I've heard, people didn't think the most recent XCOM was the best in the franchise or anything, but as for Rabbids, for an XCOM fan I could this as a breath of fresh air. Or not just XCOM, any game similar to that. Think Valkyrie Chronicles. When that came out it was greatly praised. Was it better than XCOM or Fire Emblem? Not gonna go into that, just going to point out its new. A niche genre like that is nice to get a new IP to come along. (yes Mario and Rabbids are not new IP, but you know what I mean)

Wolfenstein 2. My only complaint with Action award is that I can't for the life of me see a FPS as an action game. 

Then they chose the wrong game.

I don't have a dog in that fight, I just found it obscene that Rabbids beat XCOM.

My only complaint is that NioH and NieR Automata both released this year, so a throwback to when FPS was exclusively about shooting demons or Nazis shouldn't have won by any stretch of the imagination.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

People are still talking about the GA? This video summed it up pretty well IMO.

Nice to see cuphead doing well. Missed the game awards sadly (first time since I started following them in like 2006 that has happened). Oh well, won't be missing next year.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).