By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 worldwide sales top 70.6 million, PlayStation VR tops two million

https://www.residentevil.net/en/sevenrecord.html

On top of selling more than 2 million PSVR Units, over 328 thousand registered RE7 players have tried the game in VR. That's almost up to 12% now of the total registered RE7 userbase (including XBox and PC)

The gold edition with all content will be out on the 12th. I wonder if that will put another surge on the numbers. I know I'll be playing it again.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

Like Teeqoz said, PS2 was only available in Japan for the first 8-9 months whiich skews things.

When aligning launches per region, PS2 is still ahead.

This whole alligning launches across generations makes no sense to me. It's all just semantics. 

Things were different then as they are different now. If Sony could have made enough PS2s to have a global launch then they would never done it. But back then we didn't have the manufacturing might that is China now and those consoles were made in Japan.

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

I honestly have no idea what you are saying.

That any forced restriction can look silly.

The fact that PS2 released later on USA and Europe also allowed for stock on those launch, more SW and pent up demand. So just deciding to make all markets align and call it a day isn`t any better than compare one market against the world.

Exactly. and what's really funny about this is that all the people talking about aligning stuff are ignoring one very crucial detail. 

in all those months before the launch of the PS2 in NA and Europe. they had managed to ship only 3.5M units. That number jumped to 6M+ total shipped units after the release in the other territories. 

Sony sold through (not shipped) more than 4M PS4s in 6 weeks. 

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

That any forced restriction can look silly.

The fact that PS2 released later on USA and Europe also allowed for stock on those launch, more SW and pent up demand. So just deciding to make all markets align and call it a day isn`t any better than compare one market against the world.

Exactly. and what's really funny about this is that all the people talking about aligning stuff are ignoring one very crucial detail. 

in all those months before the launch of the PS2 in NA and Europe. they had managed to ship only 3.5M units. That number jumped to 6M+ total shipped units after the release in the other territories. 

Bruh, that's the point... Of course the PS2 sold a lot slower in its first 9 months because it was only available in Japan...

Teeqoz said:
Intrinsic said:

Bruh, that's the point... Of course the PS2 sold a lot slower in its first 9 months because it was only available in Japan...

yh of course. and not because it was only available in Japan cause Sony couldn't make enough consoles back then. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Teeqoz said:

yh of course. and not because it was only available in Japan cause Sony couldn't make enough consoles back then. 

I'm just saying that the reason the PS4 is ahead of the PS2 launches aligned is because the PS2 was Japan only for 9 months... You guys are making this way too complicated lol...

Teeqoz said:
Intrinsic said:

I'm just saying that the reason the PS4 is ahead of the PS2 launches aligned is because the PS2 was Japan only for 9 months... You guys are making this way too complicated lol...

And we are saying that launch aligning stuff is pointless if you are trying to compare a staggered launch to a global launch. Cause the comparison is always slanted. 

At the end of the day what's important is how many consoles can be shipped. If Sony could ship more consoles they would have done so but they couldn't. Same way how even with the PS4 they couldn't release in every territory on launch day. the PS2 was in Japan only for 9 months because that's the only territory their available stock could manage until they could ramp up production. 

Intrinsic said:
Teeqoz said:

And we are saying that launch aligning stuff is pointless if you are trying to compare a staggered launch to a global launch. Cause the comparison is always slanted. 

At the end of the day what's important is how many consoles can be shipped. If Sony could ship more consoles they would have done so but they couldn't. Same way how even with the PS4 they couldn't release in every territory on launch day. the PS2 was in Japan only for 9 months because that's the only territory their available stock could manage until they could ramp up production. 

I honestly can't tell if you are disagreeing with me or not because I can't see the relation between what you are talking about and the original discussion... If you align the launches by region, the PS2 is ahead.

Damn good sales. I wonder what they'll get by the end of the year.

Shadow1980 said:
So, given these numbers, it appears that as of Dec. 3 the PS4 has sold 17.2M year-to-date in 2017. Last year it sold 3.4M in the 26-day period of Dec. 7 - Jan. 1. If it can manage sales at least as good as that in the 28-day period of Dec. 4 - 31 (assuming that they once again cut the period off at the Sunday closest to New Year's), that will push the PS4 to 20.6M units.

I think at this point >20M for 2017 as a whole is a given. 21M may even be possible depending on if December is up YoY and by a sufficient percentage.

So, if the 3.4M is achieved, shipments should be about 77M. That leaves 2M to be shipped in Q4 to achieve the target of 79M by March 2018.