By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 worldwide sales top 70.6 million, PlayStation VR tops two million

Lawlight said:

So, if the 3.4M is achieved, shipments should be about 77M. That leaves 2M to be shipped in Q4 to achieve the target of 79M by March 2018.

According to global hardware chart.  They sold over 4 million PS4s worldwide in 2017s Jan/feb.  I think they should easily surpass the 79M shipment projection.  

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Intrinsic said:

And we are saying that launch aligning stuff is pointless if you are trying to compare a staggered launch to a global launch. Cause the comparison is always slanted. 

At the end of the day what's important is how many consoles can be shipped. If Sony could ship more consoles they would have done so but they couldn't. Same way how even with the PS4 they couldn't release in every territory on launch day. the PS2 was in Japan only for 9 months because that's the only territory their available stock could manage until they could ramp up production. 

I honestly can't tell if you are disagreeing with me or not because I can't see the relation between what you are talking about and the original discussion... If you align the launches by region, the PS2 is ahead.

That is just because you are being stubborn.

The point we are making is that Sony wouldn't have been able to sell more PS2 even if they launched global because their manufacturing capability was limited to what they were making and that was just enough to meet Japan demand.

Same way Wii and Switch if launched to more countries (or less) wouldn't change the first 6 months of sales since they were totally sold out for all those months.

The supposition of "they would make more if launching in more countries" is illogical since they want to sell as much as they can, so they will produce as much as is viable, and if they didn't produce more/released in more countries was because that wasn't viable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CGI-Quality said:

The very fact that we can even compare another console to the PS2 is a feat. No, the PS4 isn't on the same global level of dominance as it, but all the reasons why are (or should be) easy to understand. The console market in Japan has calmed since the 2000s and the US sees far stronger competition between machines. That doesn't remove the emerging markets the PS4 will enjoy that the PS2 did not.

Say the PS4 remains 8 million behind the PS2 until its final unit is counted. That would be insane, no matter what means one uses to compare the two.

Keeping a no more than 10M until the end of gen may be feasible, but PS4 would need some magic to reach 150M until discontinued =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

CGI-Quality said:
DonFerrari said:

Keeping a no more than 10M until the end of gen may be feasible, but PS4 would need some magic to reach 150M until discontinued =]

It will just have to do what the PS2 did - reach the right audience at the right time. I don't expect much beyond 130m, but currently, nothing suggests that it won't reach higher.

What we suppose PS2 did was expand to the Others market at the end of life when it was 100-150 USD, but PS4 is doing that sales on Others from the off-set... but sure I would be happy with they hitting 150M.

DonFerrari said:
Teeqoz said:

I honestly can't tell if you are disagreeing with me or not because I can't see the relation between what you are talking about and the original discussion... If you align the launches by region, the PS2 is ahead.

The point we are making is that Sony wouldn't have been able to sell more PS2 even if they launched global because their manufacturing capability was limited to what they were making and that was just enough to meet Japan demand.

Same way Wii and Switch if launched to more countries (or less) wouldn't change the first 6 months of sales since they were totally sold out for all those months.

The supposition of "they would make more if launching in more countries" is illogical since they want to sell as much as they can, so they will produce as much as is viable, and if they didn't produce more/released in more countries was because that wasn't viable.

Sure. Sony couldn't launch globally with the PS2 because their manufacturing capabilities were limited. This in turn meant that the PS2 was only available in Japan for its first 9 months, which in turn is the reason why the PS4 is ahead. Does that change anything of what I've said? Or what Shadow has said for that matter?

Last edited by Teeqoz - on 08 December 2017

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:

Sure. Sony couldn't launch globally with the PS2 because their manufacturing capabilities were limited. This in turn meant that the PS2 was only available in Japan for its first 9 months, which in turn is the reason why the PS4 is ahead. Does that change anything of what I've said? Or what Shadow has said for that matter?

Sigh..... ok. I'll try this one more time. I'll use bullet points.

• Sony launched PS2  in Japan in March 2000 and then everywhere else in December 2000.
  • in the 9 months between territory launches they only managed to make and ship 3M+ consoles. 
  • for their global launch they added another 3M consoles to the fray (and funny enough cut shipments to Japan)
  • This means that even if they launched globally, in that 9 month period. They would have still only shipped ~6M consoles. 
Get it now? this whole launch aligning thing permeates the assumption that they could have sold more or had more if they launched globally. but they were selling at capacity. if they launched the PS2 globally they would have just had a really messed up stock situation for over 1 year. 
if comparing consoles. this is the why should be made from the first shipment of that console. Regardless of launch territories. cause these launches are always stock limited. 
in early 2000s companies could really only afford to have about 1M console available for launch.  Today they can have around 2-3M. Which is why they can attempt a global launch these days. 
another way to look at this that totally pisses over this whole launch aligning thing? say you are Sony. you manufacture and sells PlayStations. A shipped consoles is a shipped console. and they are shipping as much as they can make. which markets they get into or when is a case of logistics. And at the end of the day, nowhere are you going to see a docket from Sony describing total PS2 shipments and in it they will say anything about launch aligned. they will just call it shipments. period. 

Teeqoz said:
DonFerrari said:

Intrisic explained it all. Also Sony themselves still consider PS4 to be ahead of PS2 when talking about speed of sales.

You can't sell what you can't make.

And about the logistic Intrisic mentioned... he just missed one detail, launching on only one market and being the one close to the factory and that have brand recognition also meant less cost for transportation/warehousing and less marketing expended at the release.

Unless you can give another reason on why Sony would be idiotic and hold from releasing WW and avoid making money you don't have much ground. Or are you just keep the "they couldn't sell more anyway, but I'll keep deflecting to it because it sustain my argument"?

Pinkie_pie said:
zorg1000 said:

Wii is still ahead by about 7-8 million.

Ps4 will be ahead by end of next year. I think wii 4th or 5th year was really bad. 

I agree. Wii's legs were bad.

I just hope Sony provides a way to keep the momentum by adding another hardware to the family like a PS4 Portable or Tablet. I would definitely by that even if it's less powerful than PS4.

Last edited by kurasakiichimaruALT - on 08 December 2017

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Intrinsic said:
Teeqoz said:

Sigh..... ok. I'll try this one more time. I'll use bullet points.

• Sony launched PS2  in Japan in March 2000 and then everywhere else in December 2000.
  • in the 9 months between territory launches they only managed to make and ship 3M+ consoles. 
  • for their global launch they added another 3M consoles to the fray (and funny enough cut shipments to Japan)
  • This means that even if they launched globally, in that 9 month period. They would have still only shipped ~6M consoles. 
Get it now? this whole launch aligning thing permeates the assumption that they could have sold more or had more if they launched globally. but they were selling at capacity. if they launched the PS2 globally they would have just had a really messed up stock situation for over 1 year. 
if comparing consoles. this is the why should be made from the first shipment of that console. Regardless of launch territories. cause these launches are always stock limited. 
in early 2000s companies could really only afford to have about 1M console available for launch.  Today they can have around 2-3M. Which is why they can attempt a global launch these days. 
another way to look at this that totally pisses over this whole launch aligning thing? say you are Sony. you manufacture and sells PlayStations. A shipped consoles is a shipped console. and they are shipping as much as they can make. which markets they get into or when is a case of logistics. And at the end of the day, nowhere are you going to see a docket from Sony describing total PS2 shipments and in it they will say anything about launch aligned. they will just call it shipments. period. 

I don't get why you're saying this because I've never claimed otherwise. Heck, it's right there in the post you quoted - "Sony couldn't launch globally with the PS2 because their manufacturing capalities were limited. This in turn meant that the PS2 was only available in Japan for its first 9 months, which in turn is the reason the PS4 is ahead."

You are literally just repeating the point I said in my post, while somehow making it out like my post is wrong. I find it a bit baffling really.

The whole launches aligned thing shows that the PS2 sold a loooot faster in Japan, quite a bit faster in the US, and a little bit slower in Europe and the rest of the world. Due to the different manufacturing situation back then (which, again, is the reason thath the PS4 was only available in Japan in the start, as we both agree on), it's a little quirk of statistics that the PS4 is ahead when you align the first date of availability, yet behind in the individual markets.

Last edited by Teeqoz - on 08 December 2017

Shadow1980 said:
Lawlight said:

So, if the 3.4M is achieved, shipments should be about 77M. That leaves 2M to be shipped in Q4 to achieve the target of 79M by March 2018.

Yeah. Sounds about right.

Odds are that they will ship more than 2M though, thus exceeding their forecast.