By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii and Gamecube games will be playable on NVIDIA Shield in China (by port)

Interesting, I guess this basically confirmes Wii titles for Switch.

Around the Network

Now that I'm thinking about it, what kind of controllers will these games use with the Shield?

Wiimotes, joycons or something from NVIDIA?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Interesting. Wonder if this is Nintendo’s way of testing the market before they decide to bring Switch over.

Good deal for both parties, NVidia gets a massive lineup of exclusives and Nintendo gets to advertise their IPs for the eventual Switch release in China, plus a decent chunk of dales from old Wii titles. If this is possible, there is no reason not to expect Wii emulation on the Switch.

Last edited by Darwinianevolution - on 05 December 2017

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Looks like in the end everyone goes third party.

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
sc94597 said:
Okay, now Nintendo can port this over to the Switch, please -- or we can wait for homebrew to do it.

the Shield uses the same SoC as the Switch, they should be able to run the same code

I wasn't able to find information that verifies your assertion of the SoC being identical to the Switch.

I did find out that it is in-fact the nVidia Shield TV:

Which means... The GPU is theoretically at-least 2.5x more powerful when compared to the Switch's undocked mode.
The CPU is 90% faster.

If it is a Pascal chip, we could be looking at even more performance gains as Denver brings allot to the table and the GPU is 50% faster than the Shield TV.

So whilst accurate that they can run the same code, the Switch will be compromised on the performance side of the equation...
However, the Xbox 360 could run Original Xbox games via emulation... And the Original Xbox could give the Wii a run for it's money...
And the Switch is vastly superior to the Xbox 360, thus it should have no issues emulating consoles from that generation.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Lafiel said:

the Shield uses the same SoC as the Switch, they should be able to run the same code

I wasn't able to find information that verifies your assertion of the SoC being identical to the Switch.

I did find out that it is in-fact the nVidia Shield TV. Which means... The GPU is theoretically at-least 2.5x more powerful when compared to the Switch's undocked mode.
The CPU is 90% faster.

If it is a Pascal chip, we could be looking at even more performance gains as Denver brings allot to the table and the GPU is 50% faster than the Shield TV.

They both use the Tegra X1, I assume this new Chinese SKU uses the same.
https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/tegra-x1-processor-and-shield

The Switch chip is underclocked like you mention.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Lawlight said:
Looks like in the end everyone goes third party.

Yeah, it's just matter of time when you play Zelda and Mario on your PS4.

Why did nintendo allowed this?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Why did nintendo allowed this?

Because they don't intend to release Wii games on China market, and they probably have some agreements with Nvidia, Nvidia could port those Wii games for Switch also and its possible that they could port some other Nvidia Shield games games to Switch. And offfcourse, Nintendo will earn money from sales of those Wii games.