By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Great success for Nintendo Switch during #blackfriday!

Miyamotoo said:
DialgaMarine said:

The price went back up because they sold out, and my guess is that retailers aren’t yet sure if the price will continue, so they put the coming stock at $300 as the default. Sony could very easily do what MS is doing and keep it down until January. But even if you’re right, and it was only a specific number, I have serious doubts that number was anything low; It would still be multiple millions, no doubt. 

Exactly, and this $199 price was just for Black Friday. I don't think Sony will put price to $199 until January because PS4 selling great even with $299 price point. I also dont think it was low number, just $100 price cut and for instance Gamestop give away $50 credit voucher was great deal, so demand was huge, but probably multiply milons just for US just for Black Friday is little high.

The price drop is for several days; they just sold out online before BF.

It's slated for 11/19-11/27.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Dulfite said:
Nintendo's major point of success is going to be profit. If they don't sell as many consoles as Sony/Microsoft, it probably has to do with supply restraints, but if it doesn't, I'd imagine due to no price cuts and the fact that most major sellers are owned by them as opposed to 3rd party, that Nintendo is making the most money by far this weekend.

On the hardware side, maybe. But if we account all these sales on PSN cards Sony had this week, then oh my gosh, there's no competition then xP

Except those PSN cards are used to buy digital games, right? And if so, then Sony has to (I'm sure) reimburse those companies for their games being sold, and considering the vast majority of games on the ps4 are 3rd party (unlike Nintendo), they have to give a LOT of money over to those third party companies. Or is my logic incorrect here?

Not to mention Nintendo makes enormous profit off amiibo, and I'm sure a lot of those suckers sold this holiday (and they are all individually tracked on charts, right? So it's hard to know how well financiall everyone is doing compared to others).

Dulfite said:
Mar1217 said:

On the hardware side, maybe. But if we account all these sales on PSN cards Sony had this week, then oh my gosh, there's no competition then xP

Except those PSN cards are used to buy digital games, right? And if so, then Sony has to (I'm sure) reimburse those companies for their games being sold, and considering the vast majority of games on the ps4 are 3rd party (unlike Nintendo), they have to give a LOT of money over to those third party companies. Or is my logic incorrect here?

Not to mention Nintendo makes enormous profit off amiibo, and I'm sure a lot of those suckers sold this holiday (and they are all individually tracked on charts, right? So it's hard to know how well financiall everyone is doing compared to others).

The difference is likely that Sony gets a distribution fee for PSN that they otherwise forfeit to other retailers.

Why in god's name would Nintendo already want to lose money on a console they just pretty much released? Has it even been out for a year yet? Exactly...while Sony obviously can afford to discount the PS4 heavily. And it should, as it has been on store shelves for over 4 years.

So yeah...not surprised the way these companies are handling their stuff.

Insidb said:
Dulfite said:

The difference is likely that Sony gets a distribution fee for PSN that they otherwise forfeit to other retailers.

Amazon doesn't get any of that?

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Insidb said:

Amazon doesn't get any of that?

I should clarify this:

Amazon makes a profit off the cards they sell for Sony's service, as a distributor.

Sony make a profit off selling the games that people buy with those cards on the Playstation store.

Sony always makes their publishing fee, but this creates new revenue streams for them and their distributors.

Insidb said:
Miyamotoo said:

Exactly, and this $199 price was just for Black Friday. I don't think Sony will put price to $199 until January because PS4 selling great even with $299 price point. I also dont think it was low number, just $100 price cut and for instance Gamestop give away $50 credit voucher was great deal, so demand was huge, but probably multiply milons just for US just for Black Friday is little high.

The price drop is for several days; they just sold out online before BF.

It's slated for 11/19-11/27.

Point is that $199 price is not available any more, but you can and you could easily find everywhere online PS4 at price that was before this Black Friday deal.

Dulfite said:
Nintendo's major point of success is going to be profit. If they don't sell as many consoles as Sony/Microsoft, it probably has to do with supply restraints, but if it doesn't, I'd imagine due to no price cuts and the fact that most major sellers are owned by them as opposed to 3rd party, that Nintendo is making the most money by far this weekend.

yep

Nintendo doesn't need to be in 1st place in Black Friday sales as they are clearly making the most profit.

Here in the UK everywhere is doing the Xbox One S with a game such as the new Assassins Creed Origins for £169, whereas a Nintendo Switch with a game will be atleast £299.

At those prices Nintendo will be making alot more profit, even with less sales.

It's a new console so expect it to sell well, plus Nintendo rarely discounts their consoles. For example the WiiU only ever had a $50 discount on a black Friday and that was the 2016.

PSN & XBOX GT : cutzman25