By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch's successor?

It'd be doable sometimes if the system can output it, but it'd make balancing the docked and portable versions pretty odd, and likley wouldn't be at all reasonable for PS5/XB2 portsI'd be surprised if it wasn't just a more powerful Switch, maybe with some random minor gimmicks added (something akin to the PSP to Vita). We know Nintendo is happy to repeat a handheld concept if it works, and the Switch certainly does.

I can't see 4k happening though. Even the X1X is still frequently missing that target (far be it at a better graphical fidelity, though one i think people would hope for from a Switch 2), and that's a absolutely massive jump over the Switch. Even if Nintendo did go all in on the hardware necessary for it (assuming it exists at a reasonable price by then), i doubt many developers would take that rout. It'd be doable sometimes if the system can output it, but it'd make balancing the docked and portable versions pretty odd, and likley wouldn't be at all reasonable for PS5/XB2 ports.

Edit: Ending got cut off: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8639019

Last edited by Zekkyou - on 26 November 2017

Around the Network

I was just thinking it would be a Switch 2, as I feel there's room to make the system better and just have a more powerful hybrid that's closer to people's expectations, visual wise.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

The Super Switch.

Retro compatible with the Switch, but with Ps4 like performance, on the go.

In like 5 years.

What I wish for them to do, is make new iterations of the Switch every few years, keeping it retro-compatible with the older Switch, but improving the performance/power. Kinda similar to what we saw from the 3DS to the New3DS, but with a much bigger power improvement.

Last edited by Hynad - on 25 November 2017

I cant imagine a Switch successor being as powerful as even PS4 Pro. Maybe PS4, but that seems like a stretch simply because it would be insanely expensive and unnecessary.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

So basically Nintendo should take everything that the Switch isn't and do that for their next console...

Nope, not gonna happen. The Switch is here to stay and is basically going to be like the GB/GBA/DS/3DS line for the forseable future where we get incremental hardware upgrades every generation or so but the fundamentals are still the same.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Flilix said:

Switch U

Switch U2 or Switch 2U.

SegataSanshiro said:
Switch 2 likely use Volta gen 1 or 2. That chip can maybe match base PS4 performance. Still, a ways off before it's viable in a portable like A Switch.

Base XB1-PS4 in handheld mode sounds about right. 2020-2021 could probably hit $299 again. Whether NiN wants to or needs to at all, is the question.

After what happened with the Wii U, can NiN create another Wii and stick with that same basic concept for 10 full years or more? Little deviation from Switch for a long time, wouldn't be very innovative of NiN, especially when it comes to their home consoles. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a great steady business model, but could NiN stop themselves from coming out with something else totally different and gambling once again like they usually do?

Flilix said:

Switch U

Switch Mii

CaptainExplosion said:
Zekkyou said:

I'd be surprised if it wasn't just a more powerful Switch, maybe with some random minor gimmicks added (something akin to the PSP to Vita). We know Nintendo is happy to repeat a handheld concept if it works, and the Switch certainly does.

I can't see 4k happening though. Even the X1X is still frequently missing that target (far be it at a better graphical fidelity, though one i think people would hope for from a Switch 2), and that's a absolutely massive jump over the Switch. Even if Nintendo did go all in on the hardware necessary for it (assuming it exists at a reasonable price by then), i doubt many developers would take that rout. It'd be doab

It'd be doab?

Haha, sorry. That should continue with "It'd be doable sometimes if the system can output it, but it'd make balancing the docked and portable versions pretty odd, and likley wouldn't be at all reasonable for PS5/XB2 ports".

It was meant to be an expansion of the "i doubt many developers would take that rout" point :p I'd edited it in.

Nintendo Swap

I don't have a 4K tv and truthfully, we are still 3 minimum maybe up to 4 years before a Switch successor would be needed. At that time, if the technology is there and the price is right, 4K maybe an option but honestly, I don't think Nintendo or any mid to Indie budgeted developers are excited for that possibility.