By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch's successor?

They should definitely build on this platform. I just hope they take a NES to SNES approach and just beef up the specs and not do anything radical with the hybrid formula that works.

Around the Network

There will be a Switch 2, which will be handled in the same way as the "NEW" 3DS.  The Switch 1 will still get games that it can handle, but there will be some games that are focused on more powerful hardware that only the Switch 2 can handle (similar to Xenoblade 3DS).  Also games released on both the Switch 1,2 (see what I did there) will run smoother on the Switch 2, similar to Hyrule Warriors Legends on 3DS.

This will allow for 3rd party games to be available on the Switch 2 in all instances to keep up with new Sony and MS hardware, while also not shafting Switch 1 owners.  Nintendo has found a place in the market via Hybrids, to abandon it for yet another 4k system would be foolish.  What they need it to make sure they can continue providing current gen games on the go at 1080p docked (Switch 2 of course) to remain relevant.

However IF they wanted to provide a 4k option, you would need the Switch 2 and dock with a supplemental GPU.  It would need to be the Switch 2 though, because Switch 1 just is not doing 4k, period.  They could market it in 2 skus.  One with a base dock, and one with thw upgraded 4k dock at a higher price.

This is not only what I feel is best for Nintendo, but also what I feel they will do.  4K is an afterthought for them, there are already many ways to get it.  Keeping the Switch line capable of running games at home or on the go however is where they can make a huge and successful mark, and where they will find the most growth as a whole.

It would not suprise me if Nvidia is working on  a Switch 2 chipset as we speak.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Unless the Switch successor launches in more than five or six years, it won't have the power to run games at native 4K. And even if they launch it by then, I would still doubt it. But what Nintendo can do is make a Switch 2 capable of running games at 1080p in portable mode and upscale them to 4K with better effects and lightning when docked.

Instead, if VR does catch up, Nintendo should improve the joycons and use the extra horsepower of the Switch 2 to make it VR compatible with a simple accessory like the Gear VR glasses.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JRPGfan said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Switch doesn't really need a successor for at least seven years. Just make lighter revisions that have better battery life, and can do 1080p in handheld mode.  (1080p in docked mode you mean right?)

^ this.

Kinda like the "new 3ds" have abit more juice (but not much), so it ll more often do 1080p instead of 900p.

I could see a "switch XL" or whatever revision come out like next year or so.

1080p in handheld mode. But not for four years probably. Better battery life and lighter version should be priorities over resolution. 

Switch 2 likely use Volta gen 1 or 2. That chip can maybe match base PS4 performance. Still, a ways off before it's viable in a portable like A Switch.

Around the Network

Whatever it is, it's practically guaranteed to sell less than the Switch.

Way too early to say. We have to see how technology progresses. How much better are batteries going to be? How much better are small chips like Tegra X2 and X3 etc going to be? How many switches will sell? If Nintendo sells 110 million plus Switches will Sony make a hybrid? All of these things and more will affect the next variation of the switch.

Too soon. We dont even know what nintendos gameplan is for revisions yet. Instead of a new system we could just see switch body redesigns with 1080p, tegra 2 processor, VR potential, etc. The design of the Switch is too flexible and unique to talk “successor” at this point.

I think next we will see more an upgrade like ps4 pro or xbox one x

call it the Switch 2, plain and simple. get the point across that this is still the Switch, but even better and capable of so much more.

use the same dock. more docks in circulation will just make it easier to use across multiple TVs. imagine if every TV already had a dock, it would be a whole other level of convenience.

be backwards compatible. speaks for itself