By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - FCC is trying to end net neutrality. This is what it can look like.

I'm sure Donald Trump won't allow this. He wants to make America great again. He will do everything in his power to stop this. Right?

Around the Network
Hiku said:
VAMatt said:
Net neutrality robs consumers and businesses of choice. It protects incumbent ISPs from real competition, as it requires all players to provide the exact same service.

It's like cable TV, essentially. We all want to be able to pick and choose the cable channels that we pay for. But, big media has bent over backwards to ensure that we have to pay for everything, even if we don't want it. Net neutrality ensures that we are subject to the exact same problem with the internet. I would gladly choose a slower connection to about 95% of the World Wide Web, in exchange for faster streaming and gaming network connection. But, under the current law, it is illegal for a company to offer me that. That is ridiculous. Likewise, I might be interested in starting an internet service provider that creates plans tailored to the needs of individuals, or various businesses. I am not allowed to do that. In this way, the current law protects the big boys from smaller startups.

Ok, so your argument is that USA should give full authority to the telecom companies to discriminate against any part of the internet they want, in any way they want, because they could use this power to give us better deals? Because of "competition"?

Here are the problems with this blind trust in the giant telecom companies to do the right thing. Because yes, it is mainly about them. Because they have all but destroyed any prospect of meaningful competition in the USA. There is little to no competition coming from smaller telecom companies because their service either has to be leased from one of the bigger telecom companies, or can't reach the majority of the country. This is what the ISP landscape looks like in USA as of Dec 2013 (which was before the net neutrality law) for wired connections:

https://qz.com/186881/nearly-one-in-three-americans-have-no-choice-when-it-comes-to-their-internet/

The fact that 67% of the population only have access to two or less ISP options (you can take a wild guess at which ones those tend to be) even though there are currently 1,230 different ISP's that specifically provide wired connections, shatters any illusion about competition from smaller companies keeping those ISP's in check when they have such a monopoly.

This is also the main reason for why USA has some of the highest broadband costs in the world:

Other countries with net neutrality rules have no problem creating a more competitive and healthy market. Internet is not so much cheaper (and faster) in Japan because ISP's can restrict our services to just Youtube for $4.99/month... (P.S. They don't.)

However, we have examples from other countries without net neutrality and more competition among ISP's than USA where ISP's have begun shady practices with splitting up the internet into packages.
I'm sorry if I have little sympathy for the one guy who only wants access to one or two sites to save a buck (no one actually consumes the internet that way), when it means everyone else gets screwed over royally as a result. When the internet is sold in packages, full access to the entire inter, and without caps, will be considered a premium service that takes into account the prices of the separate packages. As opposed to being standard, as it is today in most countries.

But the giant telecom corporations are lobbying hundreds of millions to get this passed, to give us better deals? To invite more competition? It's not to recuperate their investments and then some? Right..
Ajit Pai was the head lawyer at the legal department at Verizon. He is not at the FCC to fight for the little guy, but for the giant telecom companies.
And we have proof of these ISP's ill intentions.  T-Mobile for example was secretly throttling (slowing down) all video traffic, not just certain partners. https://m.windowscentral.com/it-turns-out-t-mobile-really-throttling-all-video-through-bingeon-according-eff

Oh and one more thing. You previously argued that "things were fine before this law, so we don't need it". Things being fine in the past doesn't mean things won't be bad in the future. It would be unreasonable to think so. But the reason things were fine before this law is only because of vigilant resistance. Not because ISP's didn't try. Because they did, since a decade before this law was passed.

"Internet providers have attempted to throttle traffic by type or by user (Comcast in 2007), have imposed arbitrary and secret caps on data (AT&T 2011-2014), hidden fees that had no justification or documentation (Comcast in 2016), and tried to give technical advantages to their own services over those of competitors (AT&T in 2016). These attempts were only revealed in retrospect once they were discovered and lawsuits filed. If the deterrents those lawsuits provided eventually had been part of preemptive rulemaking then these practices would never have been attempted at all."

The bottom line here is that there is already a gigantic problem with competition between ISP's in USA. Net neutrality won't impact the giant monopoly problem in the country, where competition is all but extinguished.
And even if that weren't the case, but it is, we shouldn't trust the 'good' intentions of the ISP's who lobby millions to get complete control over internet traffic discrimination and a lot of control over censoring. When the prospect of gigantic revenue growth increases, eventually the bigger corporations buy out or destroy the smaller ones, and the situation can turn out to be the way it is in USA right now. Where in spite of there being 1230 different ISP's, 67% of the population only has access to 2 or less.

I pay $20 USD per month for unlimited 100 Mbit fiber broadband. (Actually right now I'm paying $0/month for six months as part of a promotion.) And I had an even better deal in Japan. That's the sort of thing USA should strive for. Because splitting up the internet into packages combined with corporate greed is a very slippery slope. Especially in a country where market monopoly is a huge problem.

It truly is textbook doublespeak, essentially the same way as the Patriot Act is the opposite of patriotism.

Doublespeak is supposed to be deliberately ambiguous/misleading.
Which of these two terms is more ambiguous about the subject at hand? "Net Neutrality" or "Government control"?
If you want to argue against double speak, then don't do it by being worse. Because that was the only response you gave for two posts, before this one. I provided a lot more info about what net neutrality is in my opening post, than just the words "net neutrality".

VAMatt just got lawyered! In all seriousness, great post! I had no idea that USA's internet situation was so dire. I hope it all blows over but you sure don't paint a happy picture...

Zkuq said:
Pemalite said:

According to the Australian Beureau of Statistics I have access to 419 Internet Service Providers (With 77~ being large companies), which all have access to the same physical infrastructure.
So I am pretty sure competition in my case will ensure such a thing never happens.

People do need to complain until the cows come home... Complaints is what has brought us to the point where companies like EA are taking a long hard look at Micro-transactions, people are voting with their wallets and their voices and it's working.

It doesn't seem as good in the US though, unless this Wikipedia article about telecom companies and this Wikipedia article about broadband providers are missing something essential. It seems there's a relatively limited amount of nation-wide service providers, and I doubt local service providers can really make much of a mark in the big picture unless the situation is absolutely horrible. Of course in your case the situation sounds good, this thread seems to be more about the US.

Well. The main difference in the USA is that your telecom companies own the infrastructure... So they can lock out competitors almost geographically.

In Australia we have one company who owns all the infrastructure, aka. NBN Co... And all internet providers are given equal treatment for access to that  network. NBN Co is also not allowed to sell internet connections directly to consumers, thus preventing them from becoming a monopoly.

Of course with a monopoly on the infrastructure you would assume infrastructure access costs would be higher, but NBN Co still has to compete with mobile carriers. (Namely Telstra and Optus) who also retail their mobile networks to all other providers, so that keeps them in check.

Basically in the USA's attempt to create and stimulate competition in telecommunications, you have done the complete reverse which ultimately has led you to this point.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ganoncrotch said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Why don't they fucking give up? Every time the bill is stubbed they just reintroduce it under a different name.

The people who want it passed have literally spent billions on it already, they're not going to quit until it passes in some way, shape or form. They have invested too much to leave it as it is, they'll keep doubling down until it pays off big for them, they've got the cash.

Invested already? How?

Pemalite said:
Zkuq said:

It doesn't seem as good in the US though, unless this Wikipedia article about telecom companies and this Wikipedia article about broadband providers are missing something essential. It seems there's a relatively limited amount of nation-wide service providers, and I doubt local service providers can really make much of a mark in the big picture unless the situation is absolutely horrible. Of course in your case the situation sounds good, this thread seems to be more about the US.

Well. The main difference in the USA is that your telecom companies own the infrastructure... So they can lock out competitors almost geographically.

In Australia we have one company who owns all the infrastructure, aka. NBN Co... And all internet providers are given equal treatment for access to that  network. NBN Co is also not allowed to sell internet connections directly to consumers, thus preventing them from becoming a monopoly.

Of course with a monopoly on the infrastructure you would assume infrastructure access costs would be higher, but NBN Co still has to compete with mobile carriers. (Namely Telstra and Optus) who also retail their mobile networks to all other providers, so that keeps them in check.

Basically in the USA's attempt to create and stimulate competition in telecommunications, you have done the complete reverse which ultimately has led you to this point.

I don't have much to add here. The only thing I'd like to add is that I'm not American, so none of this is (directly) my problem (at least yet). I'm Finnish, and the situation here is relatively good. We have a very limited amount of ISPs, but things seem to be working out fairly well (which I'm actually somewhat surprised about).

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
I'm sure Donald Trump won't allow this. He wants to make America great again. He will do everything in his power to stop this. Right?

Nope. Regulations were made by Obama, so he'll happily sit back as the FCC strokes his glorious 2 incher as they both keep on 'winning!' against the damned Obama and Marxist SJW liberals

DonFerrari said:
SvennoJ said:

I could move to a part of the country that has access to that isp... It's not that simple in practice. Since the cable network and phone lines are privately owned other ISPs can't simply offer you a better deal.

We as gamers don't like money hatting, buying exclusives and keeping content from others. So why would we be for getting rid of net neutrality. It will be the day that I both need Bell and Rogers for ISPs to get access to the different services I want. It's shitty enough as it is, restricting certain shows to certain streaming services, now lets restrict certain streaming services to certain isps!

And you know that is basically the government rulling that keep thi very limite number of ISPs available right?

How so? The government is actually helping to achieve the opposite
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/10/11/internet-prices-canada-crtc_n_12443020.html

A recent ruling from Canada’s telecom watchdog means Canadians could soon be seeing cheaper Internet bills and more choice in Internet providers, but the move could also threaten profits at Canada’s major telecoms, experts predict.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) last Thursday ordered the major internet service providers (ISPs) to reduce the prices they charge to retail competitors who buy space on their networks.

It rather seems the opposite that government is holding the big companies back from upgrading
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/why-super-fast-internet-may-come-from-a-company-you-ve-never-heard-of-1.3182545

It's a big mess while it shouldn't be. Internet is almost as important as electricity nowadays yet building a national glass fiber network is pretty much the wild west atm. I guess electricity networks started out that way too with different voltages and hz even in different cities. Humans never learn. Trial and error is our way!

Anyway I can't think of any positives of getting rid of net neutrality. The big companies argue they could make more money without it to invest in upgrading their networks. Says all you need to know, it's going to cost more by fragmenting the service. Maintaining/upgrading infrastructure always suffers under competition. Short term profit always wins. Getting rid of net neutrality is not the way to fix that.

Hiku said:
VAMatt said:
Net neutrality robs consumers and businesses of choice. It protects incumbent ISPs from real competition, as it requires all players to provide the exact same service.

It's like cable TV, essentially. We all want to be able to pick and choose the cable channels that we pay for. But, big media has bent over backwards to ensure that we have to pay for everything, even if we don't want it. Net neutrality ensures that we are subject to the exact same problem with the internet. I would gladly choose a slower connection to about 95% of the World Wide Web, in exchange for faster streaming and gaming network connection. But, under the current law, it is illegal for a company to offer me that. That is ridiculous. Likewise, I might be interested in starting an internet service provider that creates plans tailored to the needs of individuals, or various businesses. I am not allowed to do that. In this way, the current law protects the big boys from smaller startups.

Ok, so your argument is that USA should give full authority to the telecom companies to discriminate against any part of the internet they want, in any way they want, because they could use this power to give us better deals? Because of "competition"?

Here are the problems with this blind trust in the giant telecom companies to do the right thing. Because yes, it is mainly about them. Because they have all but destroyed any prospect of meaningful competition in the USA. There is little to no competition coming from smaller telecom companies because their service either has to be leased from one of the bigger telecom companies, or can't reach the majority of the country. This is what the ISP landscape looks like in USA as of Dec 2013 (which was before the net neutrality law) for wired connections:

https://qz.com/186881/nearly-one-in-three-americans-have-no-choice-when-it-comes-to-their-internet/

The fact that 67% of the population only have access to two or less ISP options (you can take a wild guess at which ones those tend to be) even though there are currently 1,230 different ISP's that specifically provide wired connections, shatters any illusion about competition from smaller companies keeping those ISP's in check when they have such a monopoly.

This is also the main reason for why USA has some of the highest broadband costs in the world:

Other countries with net neutrality rules have no problem creating a more competitive and healthy market. Internet is not so much cheaper (and faster) in Japan because ISP's can restrict our services to just Youtube for $4.99/month... (P.S. They don't.)

However, we have examples from other countries without net neutrality and more competition among ISP's than USA where ISP's have begun shady practices with splitting up the internet into packages.
I'm sorry if I have little sympathy for the one guy who only wants access to one or two sites to save a buck (no one actually consumes the internet that way), when it means everyone else gets screwed over royally as a result. When the internet is sold in packages, full access to the entire inter, and without caps, will be considered a premium service that takes into account the prices of the separate packages. As opposed to being standard, as it is today in most countries.

But the giant telecom corporations are lobbying hundreds of millions to get this passed, to give us better deals? To invite more competition? It's not to recuperate their investments and then some? Right..
Ajit Pai was the head lawyer at the legal department at Verizon. He is not at the FCC to fight for the little guy, but for the giant telecom companies.
And we have proof of these ISP's ill intentions.  T-Mobile for example was secretly throttling (slowing down) all video traffic, not just certain partners. https://m.windowscentral.com/it-turns-out-t-mobile-really-throttling-all-video-through-bingeon-according-eff

Oh and one more thing. You previously argued that "things were fine before this law, so we don't need it". Things being fine in the past doesn't mean things won't be bad in the future. It would be unreasonable to think so. But the reason things were fine before this law is only because of vigilant resistance. Not because ISP's didn't try. Because they did, since a decade before this law was passed.

"Internet providers have attempted to throttle traffic by type or by user (Comcast in 2007), have imposed arbitrary and secret caps on data (AT&T 2011-2014), hidden fees that had no justification or documentation (Comcast in 2016), and tried to give technical advantages to their own services over those of competitors (AT&T in 2016). These attempts were only revealed in retrospect once they were discovered and lawsuits filed. If the deterrents those lawsuits provided eventually had been part of preemptive rulemaking then these practices would never have been attempted at all."

The bottom line here is that there is already a gigantic problem with competition between ISP's in USA. Net neutrality won't impact the giant monopoly problem in the country, where competition is all but extinguished.
And even if that weren't the case, but it is, we shouldn't trust the 'good' intentions of the ISP's who lobby millions to get complete control over internet traffic discrimination and a lot of control over censoring. When the prospect of gigantic revenue growth increases, incentive for the bigger corporations buy out or destroy the smaller ones increases as well, and the situation can turn out to be the way it is in USA right now. Where in spite of there being 1230 different ISP's, 67% of the population only has access to 2 or less.

I pay $20 USD per month for unlimited 100 Mbit fiber broadband. (Actually right now I'm paying $0/month for six months as part of a promotion.) And I had an even better deal in Japan. That's the sort of thing USA should strive for. Because splitting up the internet into packages combined with corporate greed is a very slippery slope. Especially in a country where market monopoly is a huge problem.

It truly is textbook doublespeak, essentially the same way as the Patriot Act is the opposite of patriotism.

Which of these two terms is more ambiguous about the subject at hand? "Net Neutrality" or "Government control"?
If you want to argue against double speak, then don't do it by being worse. Because that was the only response you gave for two posts, before this one. I provided a lot more info about what net neutrality is in my opening post, than just the words "net neutrality".

The lack of competition in telecom is 100% the fault of government legally prohibiting competition.  So, you just provided all kinds of evidence about what happens when government gets involved in telecom, to prove a point that government should be involved in telecom.  I don't know how to respond, as you're literally arguing against yourself.  

Government and big business are one in the same in the US, and pretty much everywhere else from what I can see.  You are arguing that the crony capitalists should govern themselves.  I'd much rather let consumers and businesses work together without a third party that is bought and paid for by that business getting involved to ensure that big business always has the upper hand.  

As for the doublespeak angle - Net Neutrality is absolutely not about neutrality.  It is about robbing consumers and small businesses of choice, and putting up a huge barrier to entry in many internet dependent industries.  If that's not doublespeak in your mind, I don't know what else to say.  

VAMatt said:
Hiku said:

And even if that weren't the case, but it is, we shouldn't trust the 'good' intentions of the ISP's who lobby millions to get complete control over internet traffic discrimination and a lot of control over censoring. When the prospect of gigantic revenue growth increases, incentive for the bigger corporations buy out or destroy the smaller ones increases as well, and the situation can turn out to be the way it is in USA right now. Where in spite of there being 1230 different ISP's, 67% of the population only has access to 2 or less.

The lack of competition in telecom is 100% the fault of government legally prohibiting competition.  So, you just provided all kinds of evidence about what happens when government gets involved in telecom, to prove a point that government should be involved in telecom.  I don't know how to respond, as you're literally arguing against yourself.  

Government and big business are one in the same in the US, and pretty much everywhere else from what I can see.  You are arguing that the crony capitalists should govern themselves.  I'd much rather let consumers and businesses work together without a third party that is bought and paid for by that business getting involved to ensure that big business always has the upper hand.  

As for the doublespeak angle - Net Neutrality is absolutely not about neutrality.  It is about robbing consumers and small businesses of choice, and putting up a huge barrier to entry in many internet dependent industries.  If that's not doublespeak in your mind, I don't know what else to say.  

You ignore his entire post and somehow state it works against him? Did you not see the fact that the majority of ISP's control a large amount of the regions in the US?

Instead of just stating it's all because of the govenment, why don't you actually explain? Using doomsday words doesn't strengthen your opinion in any manner.

monocle_layton said:

You ignore his entire post and somehow state it works against him? Did you not see the fact that the majority of ISP's control a large amount of the regions in the US?

Instead of just stating it's all because of the govenment, why don't you actually explain? Using doomsday words doesn't strengthen your opinion in any manner.

The reason that the selection of ISPs for many (most?) Americans is ~2 is because government grants those ISPs territorial monopolys.  In most of the USA, there is one "telephone" company and one "cable TV" company.  These are the only companies that are allowed to provide wired internet service.  In some cases, there is only one of those companies that is allowed to provide it.  They literally are given government protection from competition.   This generally a local gang government issue.  

Another big one is bandwidth sales for wireless data.  In this case, government decides what frequencies can be used for what purpose, then they sell the spectrum in closed auctions that nobody except the giant telecom companies can get into.  Even among those companies, they will disallow some of them from owning certain frequencies in certain areas.  This is generally a federal gang government thing.  

At the federal level, nearly all of the top brass in the FCC are former telecom execs, who go back to telecom after a few years in government.  In the FTC, it is big business guys of all sorts, including telecom.  At both the local  and federal level (and state too), the politicians that appoint the regulators are bought and paid for by big telecom, and other big businesses. These are the people that are supposed to make laws that protect us from big business.  These are the people that are responsible for enforcing Net Neutrality, and other regulatory schemes.  These are the people that cause all of the problems mentioned in the post I replied to.  

Why anyone would want big telecom guys, and others (more or less) owned by them, to regulate big telecom in beyond my ability to comprehend.