By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - FCC is trying to end net neutrality. This is what it can look like.

People will find a way to justify why they don't deserve this right and will willingly throw it away

Around the Network

For all the people against net neutrality, could you provide actual evidence that we're better off without it? So far from this thread all I've seen was anti-government conspiracy nonsense

crissindahouse said:
The big ISPs are those who want the net neutrality gone the most and then we have people who believe it would be a much better situation where competition would make the life for those ISPs harder....

You make too much sense. The nice big ISP companies are just trying to fight the evil government so they can share all their profits with small startups to create a healthy competitive environment.

It's pretty ludicrous to see people on this site in favor of abandoning it as I would assume most people here are heavy consumers on internet data with movie streaming and digital downloads. Those will be hit the hardest with extra fees and speed throttling. ISPs here have always favored data caps to charge more for heavy users. Without net neutrality they have better tools to directly target 4K streaming, file sharing, and digital downloads. Heck why not nickel and dime on latency for gaming.

Anyway seems I don't have to worry
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/as-us-prepares-to-gut-net-neutrality-rules-canada-strengthens-them/

The reality is that when you force eveybody to pay the same even if they don't use all that, is that these people are subsiding the ones that use more... But god forbid free market to make people pay less.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
The reality is that when you force eveybody to pay the same even if they don't use all that, is that these people are subsiding the ones that use more... But god forbid free market to make people pay less.

Don't data caps take care of that already?
Here you can get 25 GB per month at 5 Mbps for CAD 33 a month, all the way up to unlimited at 1 Gbps for CAD 145 a month.

Except here ISPs tried favoring certain streaming services by not counting their data usage to your monthly usage rate. That was deemed unfair competition and cracked down on. Seems that only protects free market competition?

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, but the thing is that 55% of the American population use stream services, that's a lot and with a tiered internet that means more money for ISP's. Realistically who uses the internet just to open emails? 

This is actually the first thing that Trumo has done that scares me.

DonFerrari said:

But there are already different rates available based on internet speed.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't data caps take care of that already?
Here you can get 25 GB per month at 5 Mbps for CAD 33 a month, all the way up to unlimited at 1 Gbps for CAD 145 a month.

Except here ISPs tried favoring certain streaming services by not counting their data usage to your monthly usage rate. That was deemed unfair competition and cracked down on. Seems that only protects free market competition?

Data cap cover the quantity used... but if you can have also a choice on the services and pay less using less or more using more it even out and make people that focus their usage pay less in the end.

In Brazil we have very few ISPs because the regulation prevent competition so they say the neutrality protects the user.... but it protects more the interest of the few companies. Not sure how it goes over there.

But it really isn't much different than having a combo where the "unlimeted" or any higher plan is cheaper when bought with a streaming service.

darkrulier said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, but the thing is that 55% of the American population use stream services, that's a lot and with a tiered internet that means more money for ISP's. Realistically who uses the internet just to open emails? 

Even with most people using streaming, the type and consume differs. And we can look at it at 55% getting a raise in their bills or long term they keeping flat and the rest paying less. Technology even end up lowering the cost continually.

VGPolyglot said:
DonFerrari said:

But there are already different rates available based on internet speed.

Yep, but that is only one dimension.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sethnintendo said:

Ajit Pai can suck a fucking dick. That fucking corporate whore. I'd bitch slap him in the face if I ever saw him.  Only problem is I'd get him confused with any other Indian so I'd probably just bitch slap some random Indian in the face.

I really hope you don't bitch slap me if you randomly run into me on the street. I don't want to be compared to this corporate slave.