By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Skyrim VR is my Game of the Year

Johnw1104 said:
As a person who owns a Vive, I still prefer non-VR more often than not. VR is fun for jump-scare games and zombie-style games or those awesome 3-dimensional "Paint" style ones in my opinion, but I honestly think I'd get tired of wearing the headset too quickly to enjoy a game like Skyrim.

Perhaps in the future when it amounts to little more than a pair of glasses you pop on I'll change my mind, but right now it still feels too cumbersome for extended sessions.

You need to consider that PSVR is much more comfortable to wear than the Rift and Vive.

Around the Network
ThisGuyFooks said:
The PSVR version of Skyrim has been received very, very well by the public.

A Fallout 4 VR version of the game is almost certain in my opinion.

It would be Amazing!

Will release on PC soon. PSVR version is likely at some later date, especially after Skyrim’s success. I’m curious what Microsoft will do with VR...I expect them to release VR/AR for X1X at some point next year. 

Johnw1104 said:
As a person who owns a Vive, I still prefer non-VR more often than not. VR is fun for jump-scare games and zombie-style games or those awesome 3-dimensional "Paint" style ones in my opinion, but I honestly think I'd get tired of wearing the headset too quickly to enjoy a game like Skyrim.

Perhaps in the future when it amounts to little more than a pair of glasses you pop on I'll change my mind, but right now it still feels too cumbersome for extended sessions.

I find holding up the move controllers to become tiring much sooner than the psvr headset. In fact the headset has never felt tiring to wear. Playing while standing I can do for about an hour before my back starts complaining. Holding up the AIM controller about the same. With move while sitting I simply rest the controllers on my knees but after 3 hours of swinging sword shield and shooting arrows,I start feeling it. With a DS4, no limit found yet.

I don't know how Vive sits on you head but psvr kinda melts away in the background. I've wanted to itch my head while playing and bumped into the headset forgetting it was there! That is a problem though when you play very active games. You don't want to work up a sweat with the helmet on. 15-20 minutes of dead hungry is enough.

Anyone remember Shroud hearth burrow, where is the claw? I defeated the ghost yet the objective is still the same, Investigate Shroud hearth barrow. Oh nvm, I didn't pick up the book. I never do, stupid weight limit.

The game only has one real problem in VR. It's very hard to keep track of your health in fights. A health bar somewhere, usually out of view,  just doesn't cut it. Remember to save often. Perhaps using rumble to simulate a quickening heart beat when getting low on health would eliminate the need for a health bar. Stamina bar, heavy breathing maybe? Magick bar, dunno. Health is the most important anyway, plenty times I've been surprised by suddenly dying in a fight I thought was going well. There's no real feedback how hard you get hit.

Just dropping by to give an update after getting the ZVR2 unit. I have played a little over an hour on both the ZVR1 and now the ZVR2. Got to say I really hope that patch for smooth turing drops soon, because honestly, the snap turning bothers me. I can spin around in circles in Arizona Sunshine or Farpoint and drift and do dounts in Driveclub, Dirt Rally, and GT for hours without issue, but the snap turing messes me up after a bout 45min to an hour. Been that way on every game that offers it. It is like if every time I turned my head I purposly and noticably blinked, it is draining, headache inducing, and nausea inducing. That said, I am still quite impressed with everything else so far.

Now, moving to the new headset. Wow! What an improvement. First off, yes, the ability to plug it in, and not have to mess with HDMI cables again for at least a year, is, a, bless-ing (Thank You Sony, for fixing this oversight).

On top of that, the new headset itself has seen some very nice ease of use updates. The new HDMI/USB cable from the Break out Box to the Headset is nearly the size of the USB cable for the controller, and the in line connector hub, and the power/volume/mute button are all removed. Now it is just a clean slim wire, no more stepping on or kicking the bulky, heavy hub!

Now you find the Power button and the Volume controls on the bottom of the visor. The adjustment switch for telescoping the visor is now on top, and the headphone jack has been moved to the back. I am opting to use my platinum headset instead of the built to snap in ear buds. It is very nice having the cord hang from the back as opposed to getting tied up with my left arm, which always happened in the past.

Overall, very happy with this update. Fixs all the issues I had with the old unit, and even improves in ways I didn't consider. If you are looking to upgrade for HDR, or considering getting your 1st PSVR, make sure it is the Skyrim or Doom bundles that have the ZVR2 unit. It will make your VR expereince much more comfortable and accessable.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Skyrim Vr looks great. Wonder if VR will be mainstream in the future.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Just dropping by to give an update after getting the ZVR2 unit. I have played a little over an hour on both the ZVR1 and now the ZVR2. Got to say I really hope that patch for smooth turing drops soon, because honestly, the snap turning bothers me. I can spin around in circles in Arizona Sunshine or Farpoint and drift and do dounts in Driveclub, Dirt Rally, and GT for hours without issue, but the snap turing messes me up after a bout 45min to an hour. Been that way on every game that offers it. It is like if every time I turned my head I purposly and noticably blinked, it is draining, headache inducing, and nausea inducing. That said, I am still quite impressed with everything else so far

It hasn't messed me up yet, played for over 4 hours again, but I've set it to the smallest amount and my fingers are quite tired from the rapid clicking all night. Especially spiral staircases are an exercise in finger dexterity. It's also annoying that when you sprint you move in the direction you look but if you look too far sideways you slow down to a crawl so you still need to click click click to align your virtual body and keep looking straight ahead in RL.

Btw I don't know if it's a bug or simply not possible with the move controllers, but how do you do a charge attack or what is the block button. I saw it's a bug that you can't block with weapons, dunno about charged attacks. And I was hoping that you could attack faster when using the slow shout, but it seems to slow down your hits as well, as in it simply doesn't register most of your swings. I should try it with the bow as you can fire arrows pretty rapidly.

Skyrim is a good start, yet there is a lot more work to be done to make an RPG specifically tailored to VR. You're free to make sword fighting as cool as you want, yet you can also waggle the sword at them for the same effect. And stagger is ugly the way it is implemented (the move controllers appear while staggered to illustrate you can't hit, breaks immersion) New game mechanics are needed for VR swordplay.

KBG29 said:
Just dropping by to give an update after getting the ZVR2 unit. I have played a little over an hour on both the ZVR1 and now the ZVR2. Got to say I really hope that patch for smooth turing drops soon, because honestly, the snap turning bothers me. I can spin around in circles in Arizona Sunshine or Farpoint and drift and do dounts in Driveclub, Dirt Rally, and GT for hours without issue, but the snap turing messes me up after a bout 45min to an hour. Been that way on every game that offers it. It is like if every time I turned my head I purposly and noticably blinked, it is draining, headache inducing, and nausea inducing. That said, I am still quite impressed with everything else so far.

Now, moving to the new headset. Wow! What an improvement. First off, yes, the ability to plug it in, and not have to mess with HDMI cables again for at least a year, is, a, bless-ing (Thank You Sony, for fixing this oversight).

On top of that, the new headset itself has seen some very nice ease of use updates. The new HDMI/USB cable from the Break out Box to the Headset is nearly the size of the USB cable for the controller, and the in line connector hub, and the power/volume/mute button are all removed. Now it is just a clean slim wire, no more stepping on or kicking the bulky, heavy hub!

Now you find the Power button and the Volume controls on the bottom of the visor. The adjustment switch for telescoping the visor is now on top, and the headphone jack has been moved to the back. I am opting to use my platinum headset instead of the built to snap in ear buds. It is very nice having the cord hang from the back as opposed to getting tied up with my left arm, which always happened in the past.

Overall, very happy with this update. Fixs all the issues I had with the old unit, and even improves in ways I didn't consider. If you are looking to upgrade for HDR, or considering getting your 1st PSVR, make sure it is the Skyrim or Doom bundles that have the ZVR2 unit. It will make your VR expereince much more comfortable and accessable.

And now HDR without the need to change cables

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SvennoJ said:

It hasn't messed me up yet, played for over 4 hours again, but I've set it to the smallest amount and my fingers are quite tired from the rapid clicking all night. Especially spiral staircases are an exercise in finger dexterity. It's also annoying that when you sprint you move in the direction you look but if you look too far sideways you slow down to a crawl so you still need to click click click to align your virtual body and keep looking straight ahead in RL.

Btw I don't know if it's a bug or simply not possible with the move controllers, but how do you do a charge attack or what is the block button. I saw it's a bug that you can't block with weapons, dunno about charged attacks. And I was hoping that you could attack faster when using the slow shout, but it seems to slow down your hits as well, as in it simply doesn't register most of your swings. I should try it with the bow as you can fire arrows pretty rapidly.

Skyrim is a good start, yet there is a lot more work to be done to make an RPG specifically tailored to VR. You're free to make sword fighting as cool as you want, yet you can also waggle the sword at them for the same effect. And stagger is ugly the way it is implemented (the move controllers appear while staggered to illustrate you can't hit, breaks immersion) New game mechanics are needed for VR swordplay.

I hopped back on for another 2 hours. I really worked on my strafing skill with the left move. For stair ways I just started riding the wall and rotating the move to stay glued, may mean I am going backwards at points, but it is a lot less taxing on me than the snap turing. I am not a big fan of the way they slow you down when you look to the side either. Thesus did this as well, and when it happened here, I was like, not again. The only reason I can see this is because it may cause discomfort for some, but it would be nice if we could turn it off if it doesn't bother us.

The gameplay is definitly not built from the ground up for VR. I honestly don't know the answer to those questions. I tried the long sword, and I din't really like it, moved to the bow and felt broken after all the time I have spent with Sports Champions and Ancient Amuletor, now I am sticking with Sword and Sheild or Magic and Shield. Like you said, you are free to swing as wild as you want, but just waggling gets the job done. I was going pretty wild, after I realised that I reeled it in a bit. Not looking to tear a rotator cuff during this 100 hour campaign.

There is definitly work to be done, to figure out how to make great gameplay in VR. I hope the team will continue to make refinements to this for a while. They seem to be taking a lot of feedback. As I have been saying, I think now is the perfect time to be learing the trade of VR development. Working together with the community, they will be able to build great gameplay that can be ready for mass market products in the future.

DonFerrari said:

Yesiree, must have swapped HDMI cables close to 1000 times in the last year. Not having to go behind the TV and swap cable is going to be so nice. Ended up unplugging the power cord three times, during this fiasco, glad that won't happen again.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
SvennoJ said:

I hopped back on for another 2 hours. I really worked on my strafing skill with the left move. For stair ways I just started riding the wall and rotating the move to stay glued, may mean I am going backwards at points, but it is a lot less taxing on me than the snap turing. I am not a big fan of the way they slow you down when you look to the side either. Thesus did this as well, and when it happened here, I was like, not again. The only reason I can see this is because it may cause discomfort for some, but it would be nice if we could turn it off if it doesn't bother us.

The gameplay is definitly not built from the ground up for VR. I honestly don't know the answer to those questions. I tried the long sword, and I din't really like it, moved to the bow and felt broken after all the time I have spent with Sports Champions and Ancient Amuletor, now I am sticking with Sword and Sheild or Magic and Shield. Like you said, you are free to swing as wild as you want, but just waggling gets the job done. I was going pretty wild, after I realised that I reeled it in a bit. Not looking to tear a rotator cuff during this 100 hour campaign.

There is definitly work to be done, to figure out how to make great gameplay in VR. I hope the team will continue to make refinements to this for a while. They seem to be taking a lot of feedback. As I have been saying, I think now is the perfect time to be learing the trade of VR development. Working together with the community, they will be able to build great gameplay that can be ready for mass market products in the future.

DonFerrari said:

Yesiree, must have swapped HDMI cables close to 1000 times in the last year. Not having to go behind the TV and swap cable is going to be so nice. Ended up unplugging the power cord three times, during this fiasco, glad that won't happen again.

Mine was swapping on the rack for PS4Pro straight, so lot easier, still not something I liked to do.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Played Skyrim VR and it's incredibly immersive but the move controllers really are showing their limitations here. They need to release a new controller that has a joystick, they made one for the AIM and they already had one before, they just have to update it for VR.