By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your favorite games of 2017?

1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Call of Duty WW2

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

1. BotW
2. SMO
3. H:ZD

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

It is of course Breath of the Wild

I'm not sure, but it's almost a tie between BOTW and SMO. Maybe I prefer Odyssey, but not by a huge lot. And I think that XC2 might be the third, but, right now, my top would be something like this:

1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Nier:Automata
4. Persona 5
5. Metroid: Samus Returns
6. SteamWorld Dig 2
7. Cuphead
8. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
9. Fire Emblem: Warriors
10. Ni-oh

I think every game I've mentioned was a high-quality effort, and I tried to make the list varied. Nintendo was the triumphant developer this year, because of a phenomenal start with the Switch. 

Last edited by Volterra_90 - on 14 November 2017

Breath Of The Wild

Honorable mention to Cuphead and Nex Machina.

Still I haven't played a lot of 2017 games yet.

Around the Network

Breath of the Wild.

I'll just list all the new games I've played this year from worst to best:

12. NBA Playgrounds (Switch) - Before the patch I was actually having a lot of fun with this, put around 10 hours into it, then the patch came and made it completely unplayable for me. I wish I could get a refund for this. 15/100

11. Splatoon 2 (Switch) - Very disappointed with this one. No local multiplayer is inexcusable, returned it in a day. 25/100

10. Miitopia/Hey Pikmin (3DS) - Both of these were very dry, shortlasting fun, like those cheap lollies from the shop you'd get as a kid. I never finished either, but I enjoyed the few hours I spent on them.  50/100

9. Pokemon Ultra Moon (3DS) - Now I've been going around warning people away from this game if they've already got S/M, and I absolutely do feel this is but a cheap cash-grab that should have been DLC for S/M. That said, looking at them on their own, they are solid games that fix a lot of the problems wrong +with S/M, it's just too bad that they changed literally nothing about the story besides removing superfluous cut-scenes in the first 95% of them from S/M. 74/100

8. Mario Kart 8 DX (Switch) -  A fantastic port that improved everything. I would've liked a few new characters and tracks, but you can't have everything, hey? 80/100

7. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions (3DS) -  I loved the original game, so of course I loved this one too. The QOL improvements they made were good,and Bowser's Minions was a fantastic side addition, well worth the price of admission. 84/100

6. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS) - Apparently I'm a rarity among the FE fanbase in that I actually really loved Awakening and Fates. I realise that it was a remake, but not having the support options, marriage system and ability to have children as was in the other 3DS games subtracted from this one for me a bit. Still absolutely fantastic though, I really enjoyed my playthrough. 85/100

5. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Switch) - Completely from left-field, but its one of the most charming games I've ever played, a real joy. 90/100

4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - Zelda's never really been my thing, neither have open-world games, but this one knocked it out of the park, really fantastic, I enjoyed it a lot. 92/100

3. Puyo Puyo Tetris S (Switch) - Never really been a puzzle game guy, but I managed to get my GF into gaming with this title, it's so addictive that its my most played Switch title at over 200 hours. I wouldn't have ever thought it possible, but I've really grown to love this game. 94/100

2. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - Was so hyped for this all year - the first time I've ever been hyped for a Mario game - and it still managed to outdo my expectations. Perfection. 100/100

My No.1, I feel is objectively not as good as Odyssey, but I loved it more. It blew my expectations away too, so it earns a boost for that.

1. Fire Emblem Warriors  (Switch/N3DS) - I went in to this with low expectations and got blown away, a fantastic, fun game with a lot of depth. 100/100

Last edited by RingoGaSuki - on 14 November 2017

1. Horizon Zero Dawn
2. Nier Automata
3. Persona 5
4. Gravity Rush
5. Yakuza 0

1 Horizon Zero Dawn
2 Uncharted lost legacy
3 Nier Automata

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I can't really make a respectable list. I've played about 50 games this year but not a lot of the heavy-hitters.

Still haven't played Nioh, Nier, Horizon, Fire Emblem, Mario + Rabbids, Cuphead, Persona, Divinity 2, Sonic Mania, etc.

So I'll just post from what I have played.

10) Tokyo Xanadu (PSV)
The combination of dungeon crawling and relationship management makes this action RPG a winner

9) The Surge (XOne)
An overlooked gem of a Souls-like, The Surge brings the genre into a sci-fi dystopia

8) Sundered (PS4)
A procedurally-generated Metroidvania that works surprisingly well

7) Resident Evil 7 (XOne)
A triumphant return to form for one of the industry's best series

6) Blaster Master Zero (NS)
Old-school sensibility meets modern convenience in this loving remake

5) Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (XOne)
An underrated SMS classic shines again with gorgeous new graphics

4) Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4)
A thoughtful, content-rich RPG with systems and mechanics working like clockwork

3) Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
Featuring endlessly-inventive ideas and perfect controls, this latest 3D Mario shines

2) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
Nintendo's best racing game made perfect with a robust battle mode

1) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS)
Arguably the best game ever made, BotW marks a brave step forward for sandbox games