By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330
quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

About what exactly I am delusional!? How what you wrote has anything with what I wrote!?

Regardless visual differences, it still same CoD game.

Its not, but thats classing "next game" of that generation, and in any case we talk about much bigger power difrence. What hapens when a game is pushing PS4 to its limits and runs at 30FPS!? Bigger downgrades, but that doesn't need to mean that game would be run in less than 30 fps on Switch.

You start with aiming at 30 fps, and than just go with best visuals you can get maintaining FPS of around 30 FPS.

if you are talking about a reworking then any port can be done, it's way more expensive and time consuming, but running the same code, which what most ports are, won't work on switch.

I talk about downgrade, not made version of existing game from ground  just for Switch, I mean thats why they are calling ports. Switch supports evre modern engine that PS4/XB1 support, so evre game could be ported to Switch, only question is how much would need to be downgraded.

Also this is what SQ, wrote last week:

"Switch's core architecture similar to PS4/Xbox One. Some adjustment necessary, but multi-platform games not impossible", and "(When consider games for Switch), we won't rule out any IPs. Those include new ones, currently active ones, currently not-active ones".

Around the Network

It's on track to have the best 1st year ever for a console, with something around 15m. On top of that, rumor has it that it may ship between 25m-30m next year, so that would put it at 40m~45m on its first 2 years. Besides that, I suspect this system will be supported for 6 years as their main system, like the 3DS, so I'd say it's very possible that Switch will finish on top.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Miyamotoo said:
quickrick said:

if you are talking about a reworking then any port can be done, it's way more expensive and time consuming, but running the same code, which what most ports are, won't work on switch.

I talk about downgrade, not made version of existing game from ground  just for Switch, I mean thats why they are calling ports. Switch supports evre modern engine that PS4/XB1 support, so evre game could be ported to Switch, only question is how much would need to be downgraded.

"Switch's core architecture similar to PS4/Xbox One. Some adjustment necessary, but multi-platform games not impossible", and "(When consider games for Switch), we won't rule out any IPs. Those include new ones, currently active ones, currently not-active ones".

what ever you, yet they aslo said they tried to get FF15 but it wasn't possible, call me when a demanding AAA 30fps gets ported to switch. 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/04/square-enix-tried-running-final-fantasy-xvs-engine-on-switch-it-didnt-work-well-enough

Miyamotoo said:

Fact is that some Wii U owners still didn't bouth Switch (I am one of them), but that relly doesnt matter beacuse every strong/big game is potential system seller in any case, and 3D Zelda games are always one of biggest Nintendo games evre generation, not buy sales, but buy attention of hole gaming industry, and thats also very important for platform. With every new strong/big game Switch receives it become more desirable console for hole market, that's a fact.

You again dont make sense, point is that Nintendo with Switch will have much more similar 3rd parties like examples that I mentioned, like I wrote we already had two 3rd party exclusives in 1st 9 months of console on market, and for instance Bandai Namco already said they have 3 Switch exclusives for next year, and it very possible that Platinum Games work on exclusive game also, and Nintendo yet need to start talking about 2018. lineup so its very posible more of them will be.

I don't comparing situation between WiiU/Switch and PS4/Pro, but possible situation between Switch/XL-Pro with PS4/Pro. Nintendo will easily bring more than twice better and stronger games and much more games than Wii U had. Again, first with Wii U they were suporting 3DS in same time, second Wii U was fail and they didnt want to invest too much in it, and third Wii U had short life (around 4 years) so had less games, its very obvous that with unifeded platform, desire to invest much more in platform that will obviously be very successfule and that will have longer life span, Switch will have much more and much more better and stronger games than Wii U had, and that goes for 1st party games, 2nd party games, 3rd party exclusives and multi platform games.

OoT 3D is remake of 15 years old N64 game while BotW is maybe even best and biggest Zelda ever, SM3DL is first 3D handheld Mario while Mario Odyssey is maybe even best 3D Mario and definatly biggest 3D Mario game ever, in other words, BotW and Mario Odyssey blows away OoT 3D and SM3DL. And dont forget that Switch also had one of best MK game ever, thats also huge system seller, and biggest new Nintendo IP and system seller game that will probably be bigger than Smash Bros. Splatoon 2. So Its very obvous that Switch 1st year linuep blows away hole 1st 3DS year linuep, and that we probably talking about best 1st year linuep (actualy 1st 9 months) for any Nintendo system.

Your posts again didn't make too much sense.

Who cares if Nintendo doesn't get WII U owners on board immediately, it'll happen unconditionally for the vast majority of the userbase with ground up titles on the Switch such as Splatoon 2 or SMO and if not those games it'll happen eventually with the release of a new Smash Bros or even Pokemon and if none of those game did it I doubt they would've been convinced with another Zelda title ... (no point in crying over spilt milk essentially) 

One was a "Bomberman" game which hasn't been a "strong" IP for years so that example is moot and the other is a crossover so it's just as much of a 3rd party exclusive as a 1st party exclusive. We still don't know what Bandai Namco's titles are for the Switch so it's too soon to classify them as "strong" yet and if they also re-clarified whether if it truly is exclusive to the Switch ... 

Switch Pro (XL doesn't make any sense since Switch is already big in a mobile form factor) isn't going to be a concern for about another 18 months. Nintendo will be plenty busy to focus on capitalizing on a new hardware architecture such as moving from an AMD GPU to a Nvidia GPU and making the transition from PowerPC 750CL CPU to an ARM64 Cortex A72 CPU. It still required tons of preparation on Nintendo's part to even come close to matching 3DS's output with the Switch even after Nintendo had ditched their home console from 2015 and their handheld from 2016 onwards ... 

We're not talking about critic reception here, we're talking about system sellers and 3DS had comparable titles on that front since it had 3 of the same big franchises as the Switch did at it's point in lifetime. MK8D is just a port of a WII U game compared to MK7 or how BotW was originally intended solely for WII U but you don't see me discounting those game like you are for OoT 3D, now do you ? 

zorg1000 said:

There's a tell tale sign that someone's argument is going downhill, they start to talk about NPD numbers not being accurate....

As for Switch vs 3DS holiday, we will just have to wait and see.

Straw man right there ... 

I never said NPD numbers are not accurate but it's that we should not take it as absolute gospel either since as much as half of the retailers don't EVER share their data with NPD. Many mainstream retailers such as Walmart does not report data to NPD, others include Costco and heck not even Amazon gives NPD hard numbers either ... 

I wouldn't be surprised to find cases from NPD numbers to be as much as +/- 10% off even as a comprehensive research group as they are ... 

And yeah I guess we'll have to see how Switch vs 3DS will pan out ... 

fatslob-:O said:
Miyamotoo said:

Fact is that some Wii U owners still didn't bouth Switch (I am one of them), but that relly doesnt matter beacuse every strong/big game is potential system seller in any case, and 3D Zelda games are always one of biggest Nintendo games evre generation, not buy sales, but buy attention of hole gaming industry, and thats also very important for platform. With every new strong/big game Switch receives it become more desirable console for hole market, that's a fact.

You again dont make sense, point is that Nintendo with Switch will have much more similar 3rd parties like examples that I mentioned, like I wrote we already had two 3rd party exclusives in 1st 9 months of console on market, and for instance Bandai Namco already said they have 3 Switch exclusives for next year, and it very possible that Platinum Games work on exclusive game also, and Nintendo yet need to start talking about 2018. lineup so its very posible more of them will be.

I don't comparing situation between WiiU/Switch and PS4/Pro, but possible situation between Switch/XL-Pro with PS4/Pro. Nintendo will easily bring more than twice better and stronger games and much more games than Wii U had. Again, first with Wii U they were suporting 3DS in same time, second Wii U was fail and they didnt want to invest too much in it, and third Wii U had short life (around 4 years) so had less games, its very obvous that with unifeded platform, desire to invest much more in platform that will obviously be very successfule and that will have longer life span, Switch will have much more and much more better and stronger games than Wii U had, and that goes for 1st party games, 2nd party games, 3rd party exclusives and multi platform games.

OoT 3D is remake of 15 years old N64 game while BotW is maybe even best and biggest Zelda ever, SM3DL is first 3D handheld Mario while Mario Odyssey is maybe even best 3D Mario and definatly biggest 3D Mario game ever, in other words, BotW and Mario Odyssey blows away OoT 3D and SM3DL. And dont forget that Switch also had one of best MK game ever, thats also huge system seller, and biggest new Nintendo IP and system seller game that will probably be bigger than Smash Bros. Splatoon 2. So Its very obvous that Switch 1st year linuep blows away hole 1st 3DS year linuep, and that we probably talking about best 1st year linuep (actualy 1st 9 months) for any Nintendo system.

Your posts again didn't make too much sense.

Who cares if Nintendo doesn't get WII U owners on board immediately, it'll happen unconditionally for the vast majority of the userbase with ground up titles on the Switch such as Splatoon 2 or SMO and if not those games it'll happen eventually with the release of a new Smash Bros or even Pokemon and if none of those game did it I doubt they would've been convinced with another Zelda title ... (no point in crying over spilt milk essentially) 

One was a "Bomberman" game which hasn't been a "strong" IP for years so that example is moot and the other is a crossover so it's just as much of a 3rd party exclusive as a 1st party exclusive. We still don't know what Bandai Namco's titles are for the Switch so it's too soon to classify them as "strong" yet and if they also re-clarified whether if it truly is exclusive to the Switch ... 

Switch Pro (XL doesn't make any sense since Switch is already big in a mobile form factor) isn't going to be a concern for about another 18 months. Nintendo will be plenty busy to focus on capitalizing on a new hardware architecture such as moving from an AMD GPU to a Nvidia GPU and making the transition from PowerPC 750CL CPU to an ARM64 Cortex A72 CPU. It still required tons of preparation on Nintendo's part to even come close to matching 3DS's output with the Switch even after Nintendo had ditched their home console from 2015 and their handheld from 2016 onwards ... 

We're not talking about critic reception here, we're talking about system sellers and 3DS had comparable titles on that front since it had 3 of the same big franchises as the Switch did at it's point in lifetime. MK8D is just a port of a WII U game compared to MK7 or how BotW was originally intended solely for WII U but you don't see me discounting those game like you are for OoT 3D, now do you ? 

But I wrote that doesn't really matter, beacuse every strong/big game is potential system seller in any case, and 3D Zelda games are always one of biggest Nintendo games evre generation, not buy sales, but buy attention of hole gaming industry, and thats also very important for platform. With every new strong/big game Switch receives it become more desirable console for hole market, that's a fact.

I didn't even counted Bomberman, of course that not of them will be strong, again, point is that Nintendo with Switch will have much more similar 3rd parties like examples that I mentioned.

Doesn't really matter when will be out, point is that Nintendo will not have problem with development when Switch Pro/XL is out. Lol, you again dont make any sense, but Nintendo already done transition to new hardware, its not like Switch yet needs to be launched (how many Switch games they released until now!?), and actually with Switch its probably easier for them compared to Wii U because they had huge problems with Wii U and HD development and first HD games, and actually it's much easier to develop games for Switch compared to Wii U (Switch has much better and easier tools/APIs and Switch supports all engines).

And again, you dont make any sense. No, we dont talk about only about critical receptions here, we talking also about huge attention and popularity that Switch received because those games, those games are very strong system seller games, just look how much they sold until now and you will get picture. So no, 3DS didnt had nothing strong like Zelda BotW or Mario Odyssey, they totally blow away OoT 3D and SM3DL. It doesnt matter if MK8D is just a port of MK8, point is that very strong game and system seller game and actualy one of best MK game ever, and even with MK7, Switch linuep is again stronger, not just game per game but Switch also have Splatoon2 biggest new Nintendo IP and system seller game that will probably be bigger than Smash Bros. Just for record, those titles are released on Switch in just first 8 months of console on market. Zelda BotW on Switch is brand new game while OoT 3D is remake of N64 game, totally different things.

quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

what ever you, yet they aslo said they tried to get FF15 but it wasn't possible, call me when a demanding AAA 30fps gets ported to switch. 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/04/square-enix-tried-running-final-fantasy-xvs-engine-on-switch-it-didnt-work-well-enough

This if from link you posted: "That's not to say a port categorically can't happen - Tabata also made clear that no specific optimisations had been made to account for the Switch's power (which could allow for the full game to run) - but no further tests have been made as yet".

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 14 November 2017

Around the Network

My opinion, would be the PS4. I think it will pass 100 million. The market for PS4+xb1 seams to be about 150-170 million. If Xbox manages to get to 50 then PS4 should get to 100, maybe 110. I think what happened to the wii will happen to the switch. It will sell great right up until it falls off the cliff. I think 80 million for switch. But I'm of the opinion that it's a gimmick. So what do I know.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

zorg1000 said:
Superman4 said:

3DS is a different type of device that sells for less and makes them more profit. Switch while portable isn't exactly a pocket portable like 3DS. Once the PS5 is released in 2019 Sony will stop producing the standard PS4 and drop the price on the PS4 Pro making it the bargain 4K console and the PS5 the next gen powerhouse. Nintendo will be done with the switch by 2020.

Youre acting like revisions and price cuts dont exist, yes Switch is big and expensive for a handheld at the moment but what happens if Nintendo releases a $199 Switch Lite in 2019?

With the same specs and ability to play all of the same switch games? I doubt it will happen since screen size on the switch is fixed since it's a mobile/home unit. Plus all of the accessories like the joycons etc. fit the existing size. Switch is stuck where its at. 

Superman4 said:
zorg1000 said:

Youre acting like revisions and price cuts dont exist, yes Switch is big and expensive for a handheld at the moment but what happens if Nintendo releases a $199 Switch Lite in 2019?

With the same specs and ability to play all of the same switch games? I doubt it will happen since screen size on the switch is fixed since it's a mobile/home unit. Plus all of the accessories like the joycons etc. fit the existing size. Switch is stuck where its at. 

Future revisions dont have to be an all in one device. The original Switch model is used to demonstrate the concept of a unified platform but nothing is stopping future revisions from focusing on the individual aspects.

Nintendo could theoretically release a Vita sized handheld only model and a Vita TV style console only model but with significantly better execution.

Maybe they wont do exactly that but there is no way Nintendo isnt releasing a couple revisions over the next 5-6 years.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Superman4 said:

3DS is a different type of device that sells for less and makes them more profit. Switch while portable isn't exactly a pocket portable like 3DS. Once the PS5 is released in 2019 Sony will stop producing the standard PS4 and drop the price on the PS4 Pro making it the bargain 4K console and the PS5 the next gen powerhouse. Nintendo will be done with the switch by 2020.

Almost everything is here wrong. Switch will also offcourse be cheaper and there will be Switch Mini/Pocket/Lite, and some other potential revisions. Once PS5 is relased, sales of PS4 will go down in any case not up. Offcourse that Nintendo will not be done with Switch buy 2020. (in next 3 years, while Switch is on market curently just 8 months), it's actually much more likely that will have long life similar to 3DS and also with multiply revisions. Switch is unifeded Nintendo platform now that's actually will be very successful, ofcourse Nintendo will not abondid it just only 3-4 years after launch.

Also if you really want to compare Switch and 3DS, Switch is in same time home console while 3DS is only handheld, so Switch aims at two markets in same time, home console and handheld market in same time, second Switch offers local multiplayer out of box even without TV (in handheld or tabletop mode), and third Switch will have home console system seller IPs that 3DS didn't had, huge new 3D Zelda, Splatoon, huge big console 3D Mario, Metroid Prime...and big 3rd party games like Doom or Skyrim..., but will also have big handheld IPs that Wii U did had (like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem...). So Switch will be/already is more appealing console for hole market than 3DS was, and it will sell more than 3DS.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 15 November 2017

PS4 by a small margin. I think the Switch will easily be Nintendo's second most successful home console. Who knows, maybe it will overtake the Wii. Hope it keeps the momentum

1doesnotsimply