By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330

Miyamoto, that 20M figure was for this fiscal year. The 25-30M is for the next. It’s not the same number that was revised.

Around the Network

They'll sell around the same amount 80-85m or so for both.

JRPGfan said:

If Nintendo does a price drop to 250$ early next year (they can sell it at break even prices), and theres a even cheaper (199$) docked only version. Then lateron with Switch XL ect..... yeah I could see Nintendo doing 100m+ with the switch.

Its still really early though...its hard to say, in 2019 we should have a much better "idea" of where things end up though.

There is no any reason to Nintendo do price drop to $250 early next year, so that's highly unlikely.

Also, remember when you were saying that Switch will have price cut for this holiday season or at least Zelda or Mario Odyssey bundle for $300, and I and few others were saying to you that is not happening? :)

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 12 November 2017

Wyrdness said:
They'll sell around the same amount 80-85m or so for both.

The PS4 is forecast to sell 79M by March 2018...

It is still too early to tell but I've said from the beginning that the Switch has the potential to match DS sales and thus outsell the PS4 lifetime. Things will depend on so many factors (when will the successors release? Will one company make a big mistake? Is Nintendo going to go back to their Wii U habits when it comes to game-design? What will the macro-economic conditions look like in a few years?) but the potential to be the market leader is there for both companies. I wouldn't focus too much on LTD sales at this point and look at 2018 instead which could turn into a fierce battle for the number one spot. We now have two equally strong competitors with very different philosophies. It's going to be way more interesting than the last few years.

Around the Network
StarDoor said:
Azuren said:

Three years was simply how long I feel 8th Gen has left. Even if it outsold the PS4 by 20% every week for the next FIVE years, it wouldn't do anything. PS4 has too much of a headstart, and despite what some people insist, Switch is an 8th Gen and will likely be replaced around the same time as the PS4.

So you seriously expect that Switch will have a lifecycle of 4.5 years at max? Switch launched 3.5 years after PS4, but it'll get replaced at the same time. Obviously.

And that's not even addressing how completely illogical it is to think that Switch selling 20% more than PS4 for the next five years is some sort of difficult feat. You do realize that at least 4 of those years are going to be after PS4's peak, right?

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised. 6 years for Wii, 5 years for Wii U... Seems to be Nintendo's range for their main platforms.

Oh, then you simply got the wrong message out of it: I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm pointing out that if sales were in the Switch's favor for the rest of the generation, it'd take massive margins to close the distance before 8th Gen is over and companies start pushing out new systems. Then there's the fact that Sony is simply more likely to support their system longer than Nintendo will.

Will Sony always have the advantage week to week? No. Will the Switch be able to consistently generate large enough numbers to over take PS4 before a hypothetical Switch 2 releases? Very unlikely.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

fatslob-:O said:
VideoGameAccountant said:

Your analysis is a bit off.

First, let's compare by fiscal year since we have official numbers for that (and the Switch launched in March so calendar year is a bad comparison anyway). In the PS4's first full fiscal year (3/31/14 - 3/31/15) Sony shipped 14.8 million PS4s. If Nintendo meets their projections, they will sell 14 million units. Nintendo reports sale through, so the 800K difference can be mostly attributed to global retail inventory. (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-ships-22-3-million-units-worldwide/1100-6427007/)

In the second full fiscal year, Sony shipped 17.7 million PS4s. According to the WSJ (which has been credible in the past), Nintendo is expecting to manufacture 25-30 million Switch systems for its second full fiscal year. This puts it well ahead of the PS4. Moreover, if it matched Sony's sales in the first full fiscal year, why would it not happen in the next, especially as there will be more games next year. (https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-sells-17-7-million-ps4-units-in-fiscal-year-2015/)

Whether Nintendo can meet the 14 million projection has yet to be seen, but it's likely as the system has taken off in Japan and is top in US 5 out of the 7 months since its release. Nevertheless, your numbers appear a bit off. 

It really isn't ... 

All of Nintendo's numbers in quarterly reports are SHIPMENTS ... (even when we're comparing on a fiscal year basis, PS4 is still going to ship more than the Switch according to Nintendo) 

You don't need WSJ to tell how many consoles were shipped during the fiscal year, we can get the figures from the console manufacturers themselves in their quarterly reports. The 25-30M figure is just a rumor and nothing more when Digitimes reported a rumor that Nintendo expected the Switch to ship 20M units for this fiscal year but they were off by 6M units when Nintendo only raised their forecast by 4M units totaling to 14M units for this fiscal year ... 

Actually, there might be precedent to show why the Switch may not match PS4 in it's second year and it doesn't matter how many games are releasing for a system but what are the relevant games. When all is said and done for this fiscal year Nintendo is expecting to ship a total of 16.74M units for the Switch and in comparison to the 3DS which released in a similar timeframe to the Switch had shipments totaling 17.13M units for the end of it's first fiscal year ... 

Nintendo is expecting to ship 14M units for this fiscal year on the backbone of Zelda, MK8:D, Splatoon 2 and SMO. For comparison the 3DS shipped roughly ~13.5M units in it's first fiscal year with games such as Nintendogs + Cats, Zelda, SM3DL and MK7 yet coincidentally they'll both have similar shipment totals ... 

We don't know what Switch's titles are going to be next year but 3DS in 2012 released with blockbusters such as NSMB2 and AC:NL was only able to increase shipment by ~400K units for the following fiscal year which amounted to ~13.9M units for the second fiscal year so if the release schedule on the Switch is anything like the 3DS was in 2012, there's not much chance for the Switch to keep up with the PS4 or let alone match it when it is already not doing so ... 

My numbers are not off but I do admit to using a different methodology such as using calendar years ... 

First, its common knowledge (even as back as my first account in 2008) that Nintendo reports sales figures as those to customers and Sony reports shipments (you can see this as the linked reference shipments for Sony). I couldn't find specifics on Nintendo IR site. If you have a source that says otherwise, I'd like to see it. We can just go with shipments because it really doesn't matter.

On the 25-30 million number, it's coming from the WSJ. The reporter has been right about numerous other things related to Nintendo. The most obvious one was that Nintendo was making a hybrid system. 

But even then, let's ignore that. Let's say Nintendo hasn't decided shipment numbers at all for FY 2018. Well, if we compare the PS4 to the Switch, they have sold about the same if Nintendo meets projections. The Switch was also supply constrained in both Japan and the US. Why couldn't it sell about what the PS4 sold in year 2? It's already selling what the PS4 did in year one (only a 6% difference if Nintendo meets projection and does not exceed them). 

What is funny is you want to compare it to the 3DS and not any other system. Why not compare it to the PS4? It's also would put it close to that. Why not compare it to the DS, which saw a much stronger year 2(and shipments of 25M would make it a similar case). The 3DS was the follow up to Nintendo's best selling systems ever, so wouldn't it have a strong launch? This is what you get when you look at the two fiscal years together rather than comparing each year individually. If you on;y look at the 3DS's first full fiscal year, Switch is projected to beat it. In fact, let's look at the titles for the first full fiscal years

2012 (4/1/2011 - 3/31/2012) - https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120427e.pdf

• Super Mario 3D Land - 5.84M
  • Mario Kart 7 - 5.24M
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 2.61M
  • Pokemon Rumble Blast - 1.08M
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 4.42M
  • Splatoon 2 - 3.61M
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 1.93M
  • ARMS - 1.35M
With only 6 months in, Nintendo's titles are doing better on the Switch than they did on the 3DS. Mario Kart 8 will outsell Mario Kart 7. The lowest game (ARMS) is already higher than the lowest game on 3DS (Pokemon Rumble Blast). Zelda on Switch will likely beat Zelda on 3DS. This also doesn't include Super Mario Odyssey (which has already broken 2 million) and Xenoblade Chronicles X (which could sell 1 million thanks to Zelda and Skyrim creating demand for those types of games). So in the software department, the Switch is doing better. 
You made the point that 3DS second year didn't see a huge increase despite Animal Crossing and NSMB. But software is already doing better on Switch, so why wouldn't we assume that these games would push the Switch more than they pushed the 3DS. If you compare 1st fiscal years for both, the Switch will likely sell more. If you look at the second, it will be night and day. But you are using the 3DS because it fits the trend you like. If you look at how software is doing on both, and what shipments are projected to be in the 2nd fiscal year, it wont be like the 3DS. You could argue it will be like the PS4. You could argue it could be like the DS. But it's already outperforming the 3DS and this is the one you want to use a base line.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

RolStoppable said:

People who say things like "at least wait until..." do so because the present doesn't show their desired result. That goes for both success and failure.

If I followed your advice, I couldn't have told people before Switch launch that all lifetime predictions of 50m or less are laughably low.

You have this knack of generalizing. And always talking like everyone has some sort of anti nintendo agenda.

I think what I said is clear.... less than a year into the launch of any new hardware is too short a time to be making generation defining predictions as fact. Its ok to make a prediction and no one will argue with that. But its foolhardy to state said prediction like its a fact or to talk like you have some sort of inside knowledge on what everyone else thinks. 

Take note, I am not one of those that feel the switch will not sell well... I won't be surprised if it even outsells the PS4 at the end of its lifetime. Makes no difference to me to be honest.

Lets just end this here.... and agree to disagree as always.

PS4 will be the winner of Generation 8. Switch will be the winner of Generation 9. How will each do? PS4 will do quite well and finish in that table's S rank. Switch is another story altogether.

Switch will amaze people starting in 2019. 2018 will be a disappointing year for Switch, and Nintendo will have a fair amount of supply sitting on the shelves in most of the world. Roughly the time that Pokemon is released Switch consoles are going to start flying off the shelves. People will even say that Pokemon single-handedly saved the Switch, but the truth is that a bunch of Japanese 3rd party games will also be released around the same time. Sometime in 2019 Nintendo will run out of stock in their major territories. In 2020 and later years they are going to sell record numbers. The Switch will become this cultural phenomenon like people have never seen before.

In short this table will have to create a new SSS rank just for the Switch. It is going to get all of the people who would normally be in the handheld market plus a huge chunk of the home console market. It will be a console like no other.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
PS4 will be the winner of Generation 8. Switch will be the winner of Generation 9. How will each do? PS4 will do quite well and finish in that table's S rank. Switch is another story altogether.

Switch will amaze people starting in 2019. 2018 will be a disappointing year for Switch, and Nintendo will have a fair amount of supply sitting on the shelves in most of the world. Roughly the time that Pokemon is released Switch consoles are going to start flying off the shelves. People will even say that Pokemon single-handedly saved the Switch, but the truth is that a bunch of Japanese 3rd party games will also be released around the same time. Sometime in 2019 Nintendo will run out of stock in their major territories. In 2020 and later years they are going to sell record numbers. The Switch will become this cultural phenomenon like people have never seen before.

In short this table will have to create a new SSS rank just for the Switch. It is going to get all of the people who would normally be in the handheld market plus a huge chunk of the home console market. It will be a console like no other.

o.................................k

Only thing I agree with is the bolded part. 

And that actually is something iteresting. The PS4 and NS aren't even in the same generation of consoles. So yes, the PS4 will win gen 8, nintendos gen 8 console was the wiiU.  The NS I believe will win gen 9, when its gen 9 counterparts the PS5 and XB2 comes along. 

Now the funny thing about all this is this; the NS stands to sell better than any home console. If and only if it sells like a hybrid that it is. So based on that it will outsell the PS4 at the end of the day but lose gen 8. Win gen 9 by default because by the time the PS6 is released I strongly doubt the PS5 would have sold as much as the NS. Unless for some reason MS pulls out of the home console space.