By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Doom on Switch: The Complete Technical Analysis!

Shaunodon said:

http://nintendoeverything.com/doom-switch-dev-says-the-port-has-been-wicked-hard-wishes-gamers-didnt-focus-on-tech-specs-over-fun/

Elsewhere in the interview, Creighton expressed some disappointment that gamers tend to focus on technical aspects of a title rather than how fun it is. As Creighton noted:

“As a gamer, I like the hardware. A lot. A lot. A lot. As a developer, I’m grateful to be bringing games people don’t expect to the hardware, and when they’re announced, people say ‘Wha–?!’ and then ‘Oh, that makes total sense.’ This might sound defensive, but I’m bummed some gamers focus on framerate or resolution, and don’t focus on, ‘Is it fun?’ or ‘Does gameplay feel good?’ I know we’re working hard to bring quality games to the hardware for which we develop. To make them enjoyable on the TV. To make them enjoyable on the go. I’m proud of my team. We’re working hard, we’re not cutting corners, and we’re not leaving anything on the table.”

Pretty unexpected for a developer delivering a game with low framerate and low resolution to say that. 

Around the Network

I didn't really want this game on my other consoles because I don't really like first person shooters and the ones I do like are more tactical than what I believed Doom would be.

I saw some Switch comparisons and decided to buy it on day one. My thoughts:

-The online might really take some getting used to but right now, it's not my cup of tea.
-Played it in handheld mode first. Thought it looked fantastic. Looked very detailed and played smooth as butter.
-continued the campaign in docked mode and thought it looked horrible. Adjusted some settings on my 4k and now, it's decent. Looks like it would be right at home on PS4 and Xbox One aside from some blurriness at times.
-Never played the other versions so this one looks great to me. Haven't noticed any fps dips, either.
-Wish it had Achievements/Trophies.

I mostly play it docked, and it's great. I'm too busy killing demons and zombies to notice blurriness or texture quality.

I wonder how Payday 2 will look now. Another FPS but and older game so it should be more decent. But I'm worried about Wolfenstein II

On the whole I think Panic Button deserves serious props for bringing a top tier PS4/XBone/PC experience to portable hardware. Sacrifices were unavoidable given the fundamental difference in hardware, but at the end of the day, it's still Doom.

This is one of those games where it's easy to look at the specs and dismiss the results as poor, but when I sit down and actually play it, it's still excellent fun.

I'm up to Mission 4 now, playing on Normal difficulty, and I haven't yet felt as though the framerate spoils the fun. I never even noticed the frame-pacing hiccups. It's not the sharpest or smoothest of games, but the core quality of the source material shines through regardless.

Miyamotoo said:

Game runs and looks almost same in portable and handheld mode, It runs 576p in handheld mode and 612p in docked mode, thats very low difference in resolution, its hard to belive they couldnt make it run it at higher res than 612p in docked mode if portable mode is 576p. It seems to me they were focused on portable mode and didn't really pushed extra GPU power for docked mode that could result higher res.

Panic Button is also working on port of Rocket League, if they make Rocket League port again that has same resolution in portable and docked mode (and it seems it will be 720p in both modes), than my teorie is correct, that they (Panic Button) relly don't care about docked mode and that priority for them is portable mode.

To be fair, DF did not give the parameters for the dynamic res when portable; docked mode hovers around 612p a lot of the time, but can go up to 720p in less demanding scenes. 720p versus 576p is a significant difference. Pre-release comments had me worried that there would be no use of the docked boost at all as with Rocket League. Going by the screens provided I'd say the docked boost in Doom is fairly decent:

bonzobanana said:

Keeping the graphics looking similar to ps4 and xbox one is an issue I think though. I would of preferred part cel shaded graphics if it could have meant 60fps and full resolution. Yes it would have looked more comic book style rather than realistic, more like borderlands but it would have given the Switch version a more unique look and gameplay would have remained fully intact. Replacing some of the textures with basic simplifed textures could have still been attractive graphics. At least the option would have been nice.

I don't think cel shading would fit with the kind of game this is, personally. Doom is meant to be a visceral, gritty experience and I think making it look like Borderlands would detract from that.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 November 2017

Port is very disappointing. basically worse case scenario..

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Shaunodon said:

http://nintendoeverything.com/doom-switch-dev-says-the-port-has-been-wicked-hard-wishes-gamers-didnt-focus-on-tech-specs-over-fun/

Elsewhere in the interview, Creighton expressed some disappointment that gamers tend to focus on technical aspects of a title rather than how fun it is. As Creighton noted:

“As a gamer, I like the hardware. A lot. A lot. A lot. As a developer, I’m grateful to be bringing games people don’t expect to the hardware, and when they’re announced, people say ‘Wha–?!’ and then ‘Oh, that makes total sense.’ This might sound defensive, but I’m bummed some gamers focus on framerate or resolution, and don’t focus on, ‘Is it fun?’ or ‘Does gameplay feel good?’ I know we’re working hard to bring quality games to the hardware for which we develop. To make them enjoyable on the TV. To make them enjoyable on the go. I’m proud of my team. We’re working hard, we’re not cutting corners, and we’re not leaving anything on the table.”

Pretty unexpected for a developer delivering a game with low framerate and low resolution to say that. 

Way to prove his point.

Shaunodon said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Way to prove his point.

Actually, that didn't prove "his" point. Nothing in that reply stated or even hinted at me caring about frame-rate or resolution. So it didn't prove anything. The point of the reply was "of course a developer would say that, they're selling a product". Which .... is true. If he said the opposite he wouldn't be doing his job, but of course he never really had to state that in the first place. 

I also don't think his point is very valid. Don't get me wrong, fun will always be more important than resolution, graphical quality and framerate. But using that quote to excuse problems in those areas isn't good, especially when DooM is a game that actually benefits from a high framerate. 

Proving a point doesn't always give it credence, either. If he says that, and someone responds to him and says "framerate and resolution are important for x,y, and z reasons" it doesn't matter how well thought-out those counter-points are, his point would still be proven, since it was essentially "people care about framerate and resolution" and not something that automatically makes you correct if your point is proven. It's just an observation that causes the developer disappointment, not some undeniable strong argument. If his point is that people shouldn't care about frame rate or resolution, then my reply, or the many other replies in the thread have not proven his point since it has not been shown that they don't matter. 

But again, my comment didn't prove his point in any scenario. The point is that of course a developer would say that, duh.

Shiken said:

If you want a portable DOOM, do not pass on this. Aside from what naysayers are cherry picking, DF actually shows praise for the port.

If you want a full HD experience, by all means get it on another console. That is what is so great about Nintendo's path for the Switch, it can co exist with its own advantages where it lack lacks in overall power. Just get what is best for you.

DF praises the port as much as they criticize it since it's "equally impressive and subpar at the same time" but they had low expectations to begin with ... 

Despite Doom still being a technical tragedy on the Switch it managed to surpass my expectation since I was expecting a 540p resolution in docked mode ... 

I'm surprised the game came to Switch at all, but I can't see why someone would buy this version unless you don't have anything else to play it on. It looks and runs way worse and is more expensive than the other versions of this game.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
I'm surprised the game came to Switch at all, but I can't see why someone would buy this version unless you don't have anything else to play it on. It looks and runs way worse and is more expensive than the other versions of this game.

Portability

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261