By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Doom on Switch: The Complete Technical Analysis!

Game looks great. Getting it for Christmas. Getting Skyrim too. God bless Bethesda.

Around the Network

Nothing I'd notice.

spurgeonryan said:
JRPGfan said:
Only 600p, no AA ect... effects in the 300p range? and 30fps instead of 60.
That explains why it looks blurry in the video from DF.

I know this is a "good" port, they put in effort to make this as well as it is.
However this feels like too big a drawback for people to go "well its portable too, so its where to get it".

What would be a good effects range?

I dont know.... if DF is complaining about it, the effects are probably blurry too.

You want explosions ect to look great in a game like Doom.

Zekkyou said:
Miyamotoo said:
600p resolution on TV in 2017!?
Damn this definitely is not good port, on other hand it's quite nice for playing in portable mode.

DF actually seem to think it's a very impressive port, but there's a limit to how much you can accomplish on the Switch with a title that was originally built for higher spec hardware. If Doom was a Switch only title it'd likley look and run better, but it'd also have been designed very differently. The big fire fights in particular seem to be a problem.

All in all i think the final result is about what many were expecting: It's a pretty shit 2017 home console title, but a technically exceptional portable one. I think most Switch owners interested in Doom will be okay with that.

PEEPer0nni said:
Miyamotoo said:
Damn this definitely is not good port, on other hand it's quite nice for playing in portable mode.

*Not a console with good specs. 

But it can't be! Nintendo can't do no wrong! It's the fault of the publishers. With such an attitude from Nintendo fanbase no wonder that they're always left in the dark in terms of 3rd party support.
Sony paid Capcom to keep MH:W out of the Switch! Am I doing this right?

nuckles87 said:
Miyamotoo said:

They took a game designed to run on current-gen hardware and crammed it onto a console powered by a tablet chip. And as someone who owns game on both Xbone and Switch, I can confirm it plays great. This isn’t just a playable port, it’s a damn impressive port, and demonstrates the ingenuity of the development that ported it and the flexibility of id’s technology.

Honestly, I think the most noticeable difference is the texture downgrade and the frame rate hitches, the latter of which doesn’t happen very often.

Johnw1104 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Actually, it's an excellent port. I'm really enjoying it... Seriously, it plays wonderfully and is easily the best FPS I've ever played on a portable system.

They're pushing the hardware to its limits; they can fix the frame stuttering, but otherwise this is about what we can expect from 3rd party ports.

Game runs and looks almost same in portable and handheld mode, It runs 576p in handheld mode and 612p in docked mode, thats very low difference in resolution, its hard to belive they couldnt make it run it at higher res than 612p in docked mode if portable mode is 576p. It seems to me they were focused on portable mode and didn't really pushed extra GPU power for docked mode that could result higher res.

Panic Button is also working on port of Rocket League, if they make Rocket League port again that has same resolution in portable and docked mode (and it seems it will be 720p in both modes), than my teorie is correct, that they (Panic Button) relly don't care about docked mode and that priority for them is portable mode.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 11 November 2017

"prolonged loss of fluidity"
actual gameplay slows down, like a slowmo effect, when performance drops.

shows a fight with like 4 enemies and fps running in the 19-23 range.

recammendation from DF:
Play "easy" campange, has less enemies, so you wont be playing as often at 20fps.

Around the Network

It's a hard decision. For one thing, I'm super eager to play this game, Switch is my only platform right now, and I don't even have a TV in order to watch the drawbacks of the very low resolution in docked mode, although I think it must look good enough on that 6'' screen. The real letdown is the fact that the game runs inconsistently in high-difficult settings. I guess I'll buy it, but not at 60 dollars.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Eh, the game looks great on my big screen. I should mention though I've never been one to care about graphical this, aberration that.

When the gameplay kicks in, everything else just fades into the background.

I don't count frames and pixels, I'm busy slaying demons!

It is great looking in handheld mode but the joycon sticks and small buttons do not bode well for me. I already have the PC version so I will wait for a price drop. The game is pretty awesome on Switch but not worth 60 in my opinion.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

So it's impressive that it can run on the switch but the result isn't really good