By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Doom on Switch: The Complete Technical Analysis!

The game is flat out impressive in portable mode. Though I definitely noticed the screen getting blury at certain times.

I will say so far the online is atrocious. Could be my internet connection but the lag is as bad as the original Conduit game.

Over all I'm still happy with my purchase. It's a fun game and nice to have on the go.

"Tell me why does it have to be so hard

to let go when it?s your final day

...When death is on it's way"

Around the Network

For a handheld port is extremelly impressive, I just hope they fix the frame pacing issues and I guess they probably will.

Johnw1104 said:
Miyamotoo said:
600p resolution on TV in 2017!?
Damn this definitely is not good port, on other hand it's quite nice for playing in portable mode.

Actually, it's an excellent port. I'm really enjoying it... Seriously, it plays wonderfully and is easily the best FPS I've ever played on a portable system.

They're pushing the hardware to its limits; they can fix the frame stuttering, but otherwise this is about what we can expect from 3rd party ports.

How frequent the heavy drops are?

JRPGfan said:

recammendation from DF:
Play "easy" campange, has less enemies, so you wont be playing as often at 20fps.

They recomend to play an easier campaign, they don't say you have to play the easiest one.

There are 5 difficult modes in Doom.

There is a huge problem with how people are seeing this port.

Nintendo fans..."great port, yay Bethesda!"...until DF releases their findings, then its, "bad port, dont support it!"

Anti Switch brigade..."Low res, looks horrible, plays horrible, Switch sucks, etc"...

Here is the reality of it. The Switch for 3rd parties in a handheld device that you can play on the TV, especially with big games like this. The Switch can run the games very well FOR A HANDHELD and they are fully functional.

Yes there will be some console caliber games from 3rd parties, but with less demanding games and pretty much all 1st party games. But this is a great port. It may not run at home console level, but it is more than capable at handheld level.

Bethesda deserves the sales for this great port. Nintendo fans need to stop letting what others think about a game decide what they will buy. That is how we get continued 3rd party support.

If the game is broken, by all means don't buy it. However DOOM is not broken. Infact after playing it myself, after I got into playing it instead of not trying to find differences between versions I can safely say that I never felt that I was not getting a current gen title.

If you want a portable DOOM, do not pass on this. Aside from what naysayers are cherry picking, DF actually shows praise for the port.

If you want a full HD experience, by all means get it on another console. That is what is so great about Nintendo's path for the Switch, it can co exist with its own advantages where it lack lacks in overall power. Just get what is best for you.

Last edited by Shiken - on 11 November 2017

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:

Nintendo fans..."great port, yay Bethesda!"...until DF releases their findings, then its, "bad port, dont support it!"

Anti Switch brigade..."Low res, looks horrible, plays horrible, Switch sucks, etc"...

Here is the reality of it. The Switch for 3rd parties in a handheld device that you can play on the TV, especially with big games like this. The Switch can run the games very well FOR A HANDHELD and they are fully functional.

Yes there will be some console caliber games from 3rd parties, but with less demanding games and pretty much all 3rd party games. But this is a great port. It may not run at home console level, but it is more than capable at handheld level.

Bethesda deserves the sales for this great port. Nintendo fans need to stop letting what others think about a game decide what they will buy. That is how we get continued 3rd party support.

If the game is broken, by all means don't buy it. However DOOM is not broken. Infact after playing it myself, after I got into playing it instead of not trying to find differences between versions I can safely say that I never felt that I was not getting a current gen title.

If you want a portable DOOM, do not pass on this. Aside from what naysayers are cherry picking, DF actually shows praise for the port.

If you want a full HD experience, by all means get it on another console. That is what is so great about Nintendo's path for the Switch, it can co exist with its own advantages where it lack lacks in overall power. Just get what is best for you.

Yep, I completley agree.

I bought DOOM for $18 on XB1 and rented the switch version

If you have a console or pc, then in a honesty get it for that first. Unlike a game like Dragonball Xenoverse 2, doom benefits from the 60 fps honestly.

I won't lie. Portable doom is badass, but not $60 badass. A shame honestly, cause I really enjoyed it in handheld mode

Shiken said:

Yes there will be some console caliber games from 3rd parties, but with less demanding games and pretty much all 1st party games. But this is a great port. It may not run at home console level, but it is more than capable at handheld level.

I'm a Nintendo fan and I said it was a respectable effort.

Hell, This might be the first game I get for the Switch when I get a Switch. I need at least one solid shooter on every console I own.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Also worth pointing out if your not venturing out of your home with it but just playing it portably around the house Vita and Windows tablets do very decent streaming from pc, ps4 and xbox one. I played it on Vita and a windows tablet and seem fine and pretty responsive but I've not played the Switch version for comparison. I must admit I don't play on the harder settings (old timer) so the frame rate issues on Switch probably wouldn't be a big issue for me anyway though.

Keeping the graphics looking similar to ps4 and xbox one is an issue I think though. I would of preferred part cel shaded graphics if it could have meant 60fps and full resolution. Yes it would have looked more comic book style rather than realistic, more like borderlands but it would have given the Switch version a more unique look and gameplay would have remained fully intact. Replacing some of the textures with basic simplifed textures could have still been attractive graphics. At least the option would have been nice.

http://nintendoeverything.com/doom-switch-dev-says-the-port-has-been-wicked-hard-wishes-gamers-didnt-focus-on-tech-specs-over-fun/

Elsewhere in the interview, Creighton expressed some disappointment that gamers tend to focus on technical aspects of a title rather than how fun it is. As Creighton noted:

“As a gamer, I like the hardware. A lot. A lot. A lot. As a developer, I’m grateful to be bringing games people don’t expect to the hardware, and when they’re announced, people say ‘Wha–?!’ and then ‘Oh, that makes total sense.’ This might sound defensive, but I’m bummed some gamers focus on framerate or resolution, and don’t focus on, ‘Is it fun?’ or ‘Does gameplay feel good?’ I know we’re working hard to bring quality games to the hardware for which we develop. To make them enjoyable on the TV. To make them enjoyable on the go. I’m proud of my team. We’re working hard, we’re not cutting corners, and we’re not leaving anything on the table.”