By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Doom on Switch: The Complete Technical Analysis!

I've been playing on portable mode all day. I am impressed with it as a portable game, it looks and plays fantastic. I haven't played it on tv yet though. Probably won't if I'm being honest.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

Hold up. My original comment might have, in literal terms, mentioned low framerate and low resolution, but the comment wasn't about that. It wasn't about that at all. I brought them up as a matter of fact. Because, of course someone who is selling a product wouldn't want a negative aspect to be emphasized. That's the point of my original comment, not frame rate or resolution, but the developer's words. So again, I wasn't a "caricature" of what the developer is talking about, I literally didn't care about arguing resolution or framerate till you said I did. Then I felt I needed to expand on it. You know this, so I don't know why you're playing the fool. It takes but a glance at the original comment to understand my point, and it had nothing to do with the port quality but the developer's intent.

"They delivered Doom last year with a great framerate, and great visuals, and probably never expected they'd be porting it to a handheld. Expecting them to have a version ready that could have complete parity with PS4/Xbone is just unreasonable."

Wait a minute ... so your conclusion about DOOM on Switch is literally the same conclusion I have about the port ... yet you started a huge argument because ... ? Again, this just shows that you need to calm down, read a post and try to understand what's being communicated. I never criticized the port in my original comment(even further comments were just explaining the importance of resolution and frame rate, not that the port was bad). So there was no need for these rants to begin - all I was getting at was that the intent by the developer is uncertain and there is no use using their words as an argument or fact for why a port is great. Use someone else's words, use facts, use your opinions but their words? That is shakey ground.

"I'm not sure why you're using this as fuel for your crusade, when it's obvious they're quite devoted to bringing the best possible versions of their games they can. But they're also not miracle workers.""

Crusade? What are you even talking about? I'm not attacking the dev. I'm not attacking you. I'm agreeing with you and saying the dev did a good job. I'm just providing a counter-point as to why the devs words should not be used as a frame of discussion or argument. How is that a crusade? You keep saying you aren't making negative replies out of a specific bias, but then out of nowhere you say i'm on a crusade! Or earlier that no one asked for my viewpoint .. even though you continue to be interested in it. You keep bringing up these random characterizations that literally have no place in the discussion. Is a normal discussion too much to ask? 

Well, it is on a portable device, it is amazing however it looks or runs.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Normchacho said:
I'm surprised the game came to Switch at all, but I can't see why someone would buy this version unless you don't have anything else to play it on. It looks and runs way worse and is more expensive than the other versions of this game.

I have the PC version; play it at 1440p. Bought the swirch version dor portability.

Everyone that is playing it says it plays good, it looks superb in handheld mode and its a lot of fun, I still haven't seen anyone saying the framerate is ruining their experience or anything remotely similar. Meanwhile forum dwellers only look at the numbers of a DF video to dismiss the game and say things like "why would anybody want to play this version when it runs worse?" is like... seriously? Are you asking why would anybody play the best portable FPS ever on their favourite console? lol

Last edited by Goodnightmoon - on 11 November 2017

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Zekkyou said:

DF actually seem to think it's a very impressive port, but there's a limit to how much you can accomplish on the Switch with a title that was originally built for higher spec hardware. If Doom was a Switch only title it'd likley look and run better, but it'd also have been designed very differently. The big fire fights in particular seem to be a problem.

All in all i think the final result is about what many were expecting: It's a pretty shit 2017 home console title, but a technically exceptional portable one. I think most Switch owners interested in Doom will be okay with that.

PEEPer0nni said:

*Not a console with good specs. 

But it can't be! Nintendo can't do no wrong! It's the fault of the publishers. With such an attitude from Nintendo fanbase no wonder that they're always left in the dark in terms of 3rd party support.
Sony paid Capcom to keep MH:W out of the Switch! Am I doing this right?

nuckles87 said:

They took a game designed to run on current-gen hardware and crammed it onto a console powered by a tablet chip. And as someone who owns game on both Xbone and Switch, I can confirm it plays great. This isn’t just a playable port, it’s a damn impressive port, and demonstrates the ingenuity of the development that ported it and the flexibility of id’s technology.

Honestly, I think the most noticeable difference is the texture downgrade and the frame rate hitches, the latter of which doesn’t happen very often.

Johnw1104 said:

Actually, it's an excellent port. I'm really enjoying it... Seriously, it plays wonderfully and is easily the best FPS I've ever played on a portable system.

They're pushing the hardware to its limits; they can fix the frame stuttering, but otherwise this is about what we can expect from 3rd party ports.

Game runs and looks almost same in portable and handheld mode, It runs 576p in handheld mode and 612p in docked mode, thats very low difference in resolution, its hard to belive they couldnt make it run it at higher res than 612p in docked mode if portable mode is 576p. It seems to me they were focused on portable mode and didn't really pushed extra GPU power for docked mode that could result higher res.

Panic Button is also working on port of Rocket League, if they make Rocket League port again that has same resolution in portable and docked mode (and it seems it will be 720p in both modes), than my teorie is correct, that they (Panic Button) relly don't care about docked mode and that priority for them is portable mode.

Or...Panic Button is porting current gen games that have no business running on a mobile processor to the Switch, and you are overestimating how much extra power the Switch has in docked mode. It's not as if they are better examples of this kind of port.

Last edited by nuckles87 - on 12 November 2017

nuckles87 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Game runs and looks almost same in portable and handheld mode, It runs 576p in handheld mode and 612p in docked mode, thats very low difference in resolution, its hard to belive they couldnt make it run it at higher res than 612p in docked mode if portable mode is 576p. It seems to me they were focused on portable mode and didn't really pushed extra GPU power for docked mode that could result higher res.

Panic Button is also working on port of Rocket League, if they make Rocket League port again that has same resolution in portable and docked mode (and it seems it will be 720p in both modes), than my teorie is correct, that they (Panic Button) relly don't care about docked mode and that priority for them is portable mode.

Or...Panic Button is porting current gen games that have no business running on a mobile processor to the Switch, and you are overestimating how much extra power the Switch has in docked mode.

Despite Switch CPU is weaker, you do realise that "Jaguar" CPU thats in PS4 and XB1 is also mobile procesor!? "Jaguar" Accelerated Processing Units are ultra-low power chips aimed at tablets, netbooks and ultra-thin notebooks."

No I am not overestimating, that extra power for GPU in docked mode is enuf that evre game runs at higher resolution in docked mode, and thats why evre game runs at higher resolution in docked mode, some games running from 720p in portable mode to 1080p in docked mode, or in case of Splatoon 2 in portable mode runs from 650p to 720p while in docked mode runs from 865p to 1080p, even Mario Oddysey goes from 720p in portable mode to 810p-900p in docked mode with better graphics.

Again, if they make Rocket League port again that has same resolution in portable and docked mode (and it seems it will be 720p in both modes), than my teorie is correct.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 12 November 2017

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

To be fair, DF did not give the parameters for the dynamic res when portable; docked mode hovers around 612p a lot of the time, but can go up to 720p in less demanding scenes. 720p versus 576p is a significant difference. Pre-release comments had me worried that there would be no use of the docked boost at all as with Rocket League.

DF did not mention at all dynamic res in article.

I've put more than 10 hours into it and I have no complaints at all. The game looks good and it's fun. I haven't yet had any framerate issues whatsoever. Haven't tried multiplayer so I cant comment on that. The only thing that I feel could've made the game better for me would've been including gyro controllers as an option.

Friend code is 7907-8494-1879.