By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

mZuzek said:
Mnementh said:

game #17
Hint 1: She fights enemies now on the Wii.

Metroid Prime 3? Quite a vague hint really, but everything "she" seems to involve Metroid around here. Anyways, today is another day and as such it's time for another hint.

Metroid Prime 3 is correct. Well, my last set of hints seems to be too easy, they all were guessed with only one hint. Or maybe the reason is that my unguessed games are all old DOS-games, while these fast-guessed games were all Nintendo-games. And to she: probably there are more games were the protagonist is female and it is a fighting game, but this hint thins out the selection.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Mnementh said:

game #17
Hint 1: She fights enemies now on the Wii.

Metroid Prime 3? Quite a vague hint really, but everything "she" seems to involve Metroid around here. Anyways, today is another day and as such it's time for another hint.

#19 - This game introduced an iconic antagonist or anti-hero of sorts to the franchise, whose name is only one letter long (the character's name, not the franchise's ).

Pokemon Black/White?

mZuzek said:
StarDoor said:

Pokemon Black/White?

Ugh, you again? Yes.

Well, you did start posting rankings. That's when things got serious.

This classic series recently got an adaptation for TV.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Mnementh said:

game #21

Hint 1: Oh no! They can mind-control my troops!

Hint 2: The door is to well-guarded? Blow a new entry into the wall.

Hint 3: If the enemies make too much terror-attacks, the countries that are funding my troops will reduce their payment or even make a contract with the enemy.

Hint 4: There are a lot of alien races attacking earth together.

Hint 5: Elirium 115

Hint 6: The game spawned a series of games that somehow defines the genre, so it is often sayed that a game is ...-like.

Oh no, another game nobody guessed. It is the original UFO: Enemy Unknown. In America this got the title X-COM: UFO Defense.

This is a turn-based strategy game and starting point of the X-COM-series. Back then I was very impressed. I remember one evening I was playing the game with the mindset: just one more UFO. Then suddenly I realized it got bright on the outside and birds started singing. I had pulled an all-nighter.

The game offers a lot: you manage your bases in real-time, getting scientists to work, build new structures, let engineers build new weapons and so on. If you register an UFO you follow it and try to shoot it down or wait for it to land. In either case you send in your troops.

And this part after landing can get pretty intense. You get shot from so far unseen aliens out of the dark. Or a chryssalid walks up to your troops - that miss with their automatic reaction shots - and guts your soldier. These things had seemingly infinite move-range. Or the sectoids suddenly controlled one of your guys and he started to shoot his own people.

The feeling of accomplishment though if you had gotten through a mission victorious was pretty big. And you could haul back all the alien stuff you found and analyze it with your science guys. And make new weapons from it. Bwahaha, take that aliens.

Playing it today is easy enough. It is available on GOG and runs with Dosbox. Alternatively there is the project OpenXcom, that tries to make it runnable on newer systems. That also includes higher resolutions, but as the controls keep the same pixel-size, the resolution upgrade is mostly useless. OpenXcom introduces Mods though, and there is some interesting stuff. So I recommend to play the vanilla game with Dosbox and after that try out Mods with OpenXcom.

Wikipedia, MobyGames, OGDB, IGDB

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network

Some more hints.

Hint 1: Shows off the capabilities of the system, you don't even need to use buttons!
Hint 2: Microgames.
Hint 3: Wario
Hint 4: Ware
Not Game & Wario, not Warioware Smooth Moves.

Hint 1: Shoot enemies throughout history, with this Sega Classic.
Hint 2: Okay, you don't really travel through time, but each chapter is set in a different time period.
Hint 3: Reach the exit before time runs out.
Hint 4: You need to gain ground in this game.
Hint 5: I already gave away the name of the game in one of my previous hints.

Hint 1: 8 games in once!
Hint 2: This franchise gets a brand new game next year.

Hint 1: 99
Hint 2: It's an early 3D game.

mZuzek said:
Flilix said:
Hint 1: 8 games in once!
Hint 2: This franchise gets a brand new game next year.

Kirby Superstar?

Correct.

No guesses for #25 and #27 though? I feel like I've already given almost every hint that I could give.

game #16

Hint 1: Sorry to keep you waiting.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 12 December 2017

Mnementh said:

game #16

Kid Icarus Uprising?

John19 said:
Mnementh said:

game #16

Kid Icarus Uprising?

Woah, I had so much more quotes from the first level to follow up with, but you already got it. Yes, correct.