By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

mZuzek said:
StarDoor said:

OK, fine:

14: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
12: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Wow, you couldn't even stand by yourself. That's lame.

God, could you be any more of an insufferable prick about this?

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
StarDoor said:

God, could you be any more of an insufferable prick about this?

Possibly.

You're known on VGC as the dude who burns people, so I thought you wouldn't mind getting some crappy crap coming your way. But if it's bothering you then yeah, I'll just stop.

Oh, that's why you were doing it? Okay, that makes a lot more sense now. I don't just go around burning anyone, and I especially don't burn people who I'm on good terms with. My burns are limited to people who habitually make low-quality posts.

More hints!

#11 This 80's multiplatform game is the origin of a popular gaming term. The term means, "this is the character in the game that I control".
Hint 2: Both JRPG's and WRPG's have their roots in this gaming series. However the game on my list is quite unique. No other RPG is like it.

#10 This series had several iterations that appeared on a variety of Nintendo systems starting with the Famicom. However the first time it appeared in North America was this Gameboy Advance game.
Hint 2: This is a tactics game about military battles.

15 Hint 1: Features 12 different playstyles within 4 paths. One might get more resources from certain things or all buildings become free, or combat advantages or a special power.
Hint 2: Fight with Gigantes, Trolls, Jackals, or Colossi.
14 Hint 1: Turn based strategy game. There are many things you can do during the day like Pillage, Observe, Train, Buy items, Talk, Wait, Travel, Work.

#15 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Why did it make the list?
Many people say Zelda: Breath of the Wild reinvented Zelda, but that was not my experience with it.  To me this was Zelda’s return to its roots.  I have been waiting for at least 25 years for a Zelda game like this (probably longer in fact).  My experience with both Zelda 1 and A Link to the Past was a huge open world game, at least a huge open world by the standards of their consoles.  Well Breath of the Wild brought that back in spades.

Original experience:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild is not a perfect game, but what it does well, it does far better than any other game out there.  This is a game about exploration, first and foremost.  It has a huge overworld, and most importantly, this game does not hold your hand at all.  You can go anywhere in this game as long as you have the skill to go there.  I remember getting off of the Plateau (the beginner area), and the NPC’s suggested I go to a certain area.  Well, I purposely headed in a completely different direction to see how much freedom the game would give me.  I ended up in a rainy jungle with huge cliffs that seemed impossible to climb, but dammit after a long time, with a lot of exploration and a clever (yet tedious) use of my powers I found a way up the cliffs.  Much later in the game I found that it is easier to get up those cliffs if you acquire certain powers or gear, but that really wasn’t the point.  The point is that I could approach all of the challenges in this world on my own terms, and I can do it in a game that is incredibly well made and very polished.

Another big plus that I want to add is Hyrule Castle.  The first 4 dungeons of this game are kind of boring and tedious, but they are optional.  The only mandatory “dungeon” is Hyrule Castle, and it is the best dungeon that I have yet encountered in a video game.  Lots of cool places to explore with plenty of dangers, secrets and treasures.  I hope Hyrule Castle raises the bar for how to do dungeons in future games (Zelda or no). 

How does it hold up today?
If won game of the year for 2017, so….

Around the Network
Farsala said:
15 Hint 1: Features 12 different playstyles within 4 paths. One might get more resources from certain things or all buildings become free, or combat advantages or a special power.
14 Hint 1: Turn based strategy game. There are many things you can do during the day like Pillage, Observe, Train, Buy items, Talk, Wait, Travel, Work.

15 Heroes of Might and Magic 2?
14 Nobunaga's Ambition?  

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Farsala said:

15 Heroes of Might and Magic 2?
14 Nobunaga's Ambition?  

Neither are correct, but good guesses.

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
#10 This series had several iterations that appeared on a variety of Nintendo systems starting with the Famicom. However the first time it appeared in North America was this Gameboy Advance game.
Hint 2: This is a tactics game about military battles.

Huh, surprised no one guessed this. I assume it's Advance Wars?

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Another big plus that I want to add is Hyrule Castle.  The first 4 dungeons of this game are kind of boring and tedious, but they are optional.  The only mandatory “dungeon” is Hyrule Castle, and it is the best dungeon that I have yet encountered in a video game.  Lots of cool places to explore with plenty of dangers, secrets and treasures.  I hope Hyrule Castle raises the bar for how to do dungeons in future games (Zelda or no). 

Hey look at that! I actually made a thread on Hyrule Castle earlier this year, I think it's a good read to share our love of that awesome place and stuff. (That said, I'd recommend stopping at the "reading" part, because no one wants necrobumps and stuff... or do they?)

Advance Wars is correct!

I appreciate your Hyrule Castle thread.   It is an awesome dungeon and deserves to be gushed over.  I actually think this is the kind of "dungeon" experience that I've always wanted in a video game.  I have played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons, and Hyrule Castle is like D&D at it's best.  The fact that you have all of the climbing and other game mechanics while exploring this castle is part of what makes it so special.  I have encountered really cool castles in video games before, but they felt like "set pieces".  I can explore them, but I can't interact with them really.  Hyrule Castle looks cool and you can interact with it fully just like the rest of the overworld.  Hyrule Castle feels like the proper culmination of a living, breathing world, and not just a nice looking set piece.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
More hints!

#11 This 80's multiplatform game is the origin of a popular gaming term. The term means, "this is the character in the game that I control".
Hint 2: Both JRPG's and WRPG's have their roots in this gaming series. However the game on my list is quite unique. No other RPG is like it.

Both Wizardry and Ultima influenced also japanese RPGs. But Ultima IV had the Avatar, so that must be it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
More hints!

Both Wizardry and Ultima influenced also japanese RPGs. But Ultima IV had the Avatar, so that must be it.

Correct!