By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA 5 Ships 85 Million Copies, Surpassing Wii Sports

The game is amazing, so well deserved.

Around the Network

Incredible. It will also be re-released down the line with updated visuals and resolution (again). It will clear 100 million units.

I was about to say it doesn't deserve it, but I guess that's up to the market ...

Stupid market

Ka-pi96 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I was about to say it doesn't deserve it, but I guess that's up to the market ...

Stupid market

You think the market is stupid for only buying 85m copies? Yeah, I can agree. Should be 200m at least! Get buying more GTA people!

Now is not the time, Ka-Pi :(

GTA is a little more global.. so I don't think it's exactly a fair comparison.

GTA V is more widespread to new markets, and it is on a number of different platforms including things with higher installed base like computers, especially on countries Nintendo didn't have a valid market in.

I think Wii Sports can still be considered a bigger phenomenon, especially if you consider it was a multiplayer game. Reached more people within the markets it hit.

Around the Network

GTAV is an industry within itself.

Ka-pi96 said:
Vinther1991 said:

I apologize. I knew I had seen GTA bundles everywhere, never realized it was only for PS3 and PS4. So bundle exclusivity is apparently also a thing now, lol. I wonder if it is a timed bundle exclusive deal.

How many are sold unbundled is speculation. The PS3 had very good legs compared to the competition. I guess the GTA V bundle was one of the reasons, it sold really well.

It's been a thing for a long time. Every time somebody gets exclusive marketing rights that comes with bundle exclusivity as well.

And PS3 had already sold around 78m (VGC) before GTAV released, so no GTAV wasn't the reason for its sales. And of the around 9m PS3s (VGC again) sold since GTAV's release probably not that many were GTAV bundles. Besides, official bundles don't guarantee games will sell well. Xbox had the exclusive official bundle for FIFA for years, yet it still sold better on PS3/PS4 than it did on Xbox. And of course unlike other companies (*cough* Nintendo *cough*) Sony actually gives consumers a choice between buying the stand alone console or one of a number of bundles. Amplified further by the fact that retailers will often bundle the standalone console with games as well.

Since when does Nintendo not allow a choice between stand alone system and bundles?

Nintendo Entertainment System & Bundles

While the original set contained no games, future variantions of the set included an additional Game Pak, which included Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Star Wars, or Low G Man.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System & Bundles

N64 System & Bundles

Gamecube System & Bundles

Wii System & Bundles

Wii U System & Bundles

Nintendo Switch System & Bundles

Not surprising it has reached that number as many people have rebought the game a few times.

I have bought it on the PS3 than the PS4 and i'll buy it on the Switch if they release it as long as it plays and it does not require you to download half the game day 1 to play it. None of this LA Noire on Switch or latest COD BS;

Wish there was a Switch version.

konnichiwa said:
VGPolyglot said:
GTAV is the best-selling game in the US? Is that including Minecraft, Angry Birds and Tetris?

Based on revenue and units sold...So yeah revenue sure , if units sold it must have sold like 55-60 million in the USA?  Considering MC did surpass 122 million last februari (but no new numbers yet).

Dude there is no way sales in USA are that high lol, GTA is actually a bigger series in the rest of the world. I think Europe should be at least as big as USA, probabily bigger.