By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA 5 Ships 85 Million Copies, Surpassing Wii Sports

SegataSanshiro said:
I might be the only person who hasn't played this game nor Minecraft and I never will.

No, you´re not.  I never played it properly too.

I barely played the introduction and lost interest very fast. Traded it for RE Revelations 2

Around the Network

It's insanity . It will do 90m this year and 100m next year. And it will do many more.

Vinther1991 said:
Dr.Vita said:

Take-Two today reported earnings for the quarter ended September 30, and among the notable takeaways is that Grand Theft Auto V continues to soar. The open-world action game has now shipped an astonishing 85 million copies since its launch in September 2013. That's up from the 80 million shipment figure that Take-Two disclosed in May.

Take-Two says GTA V is now the "all-time best-selling video game" ever in the US, based on revenue and units sold, across digital and physical platforms. The game has now surpassed Wii Sports, which sold 82.83 million units worldwide. Notably, Wii Sports was a pack-in game for the Wii, while GTA V is and has been sold on its own.

GTA Online is also a huge hit. The game had its "best quarter yet" in terms of the money that it brought in, Take-Two said, though it did not share any specific revenue figures.

[...]

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-5-ships-85-million-copies-surpassing-wii-sport/1100-6454751/

GTA V was also a pack-in game

There's being available in a bundle, and coming with every sale of a console. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

They nees to release this on the switch already.

Wow, people sure do like their violence ;)

Around the Network

I watched my friend play it, but I never played it myself and that was on his PS3. Since then we both have PS4s without the game since you know it is just an old game.

Still amazes me that the PS4 and XB1 versions have done so well off the back of a last gen game. Makes me wonder what a GTA 6 could do and on a similar note where the heck is Elder Scrolls 6.

Wii Sports was a system seller just as GTAV was for the second generation of consoles it was put on. Diminishing Wii Sports' sales purely because it was a pack-in in Europe and NA doesn't actually matter in the entire picture. Especially considering, ya know, it's been surpassed.

It prints more cash than Nintendo during the 7th gen!

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

VGPolyglot said:
GTAV is the best-selling game in the US? Is that including Minecraft, Angry Birds and Tetris?

You have a point with Minecraft, but it isn't a full priced game so I'm not sure it's comparable. Same for Angry Birds. Tetris sold a bazillion copies but split in thousands of installments, you can't just sum all the numbers.

While a bit off-topic, I imagine that it is safe to say that GTA V made more money than Minecraft and Angry birds, since it started with a 60 bucks price and also sells tons of microtransactions.

NintendoPie said:
Wii Sports was a system seller just as GTAV was for the second generation of consoles it was put on. Diminishing Wii Sports' sales purely because it was a pack-in in Europe and NA doesn't actually matter in the entire picture. Especially considering, ya know, it's been surpassed.

You're correct. It was the showcase of the console. Even if it was not bundled at all, it would have reached 40 to 50M most likely.