By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Xenoblade Chronicles Series Thread: Definitive Edition (All Spoilers in Tags)

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
curl-6 said:

Lorithia has a specific weakness; pick Melia, spam her with ether attacks and watch her drop like a pterodactyl turd.

Problem wasn't really party set up (though yea I did look up tips on that front as well, and like you said Melia definitely helped), the issue was moreso that I entered the area at about level 68, and she really didn't seem manageable until about ~73. Which wouldn't be much of a problem, but I found grinding took a surprising amount of time. And grinding in that area was just awful, all the easy enemies gave you little XP, all the hard enemies were in areas where you could easily fall down to an acid pool or have another enemy get into your line of sight (even if you try not to, since the fliers have a very large path of travel). It took too long and was kinda annoying, but it's fine. 

It's okay though, I beat her 15 minutes ago. Like you said, with the right party, and with characters leveled up she's quite easy. Everything is really manageable in this game if you know what you're doing. 

I think I killed her in like two hits?  I was max leveled and playing on casual though... it was great!

Around the Network
gergroy said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Problem wasn't really party set up (though yea I did look up tips on that front as well, and like you said Melia definitely helped), the issue was moreso that I entered the area at about level 68, and she really didn't seem manageable until about ~73. Which wouldn't be much of a problem, but I found grinding took a surprising amount of time. And grinding in that area was just awful, all the easy enemies gave you little XP, all the hard enemies were in areas where you could easily fall down to an acid pool or have another enemy get into your line of sight (even if you try not to, since the fliers have a very large path of travel). It took too long and was kinda annoying, but it's fine. 

It's okay though, I beat her 15 minutes ago. Like you said, with the right party, and with characters leveled up she's quite easy. Everything is really manageable in this game if you know what you're doing. 

I think I killed her in like two hits?  I was max leveled and playing on casual though... it was great!

Yea I'm ashamed to admit I put the game on casual mode for it's final boss. I specifically went out of my way not to do that the entire rest of the playthrough, because I enjoyed the combat systems. Everything was easy before the final boss, even Lorithia once you get to the right levels, but nope, that 2nd phase of the boss just made me lazy as fuck. This always happens with me and JRPGs (except Pokemon obviously), I get to the final boss and get lazy and just want to see the end of the story ... usually late at night after having thought I would have finished the game 10 hours earlier in the day I've cheated not only the game, but myself.

The worst part is my cleared playthrough now has a big green "casual mode" banner on it's save image. Even though I played 99.99% of the game normally. Fucking hell! I swear I might just return this game because of that. This is a defective product! I hate Monolith Soft and absolutely everything they stand for because of this. 

Decent game though. 

Mod Note-  Edited to avoid potential spoilers.  It was borderline, but always err on the side of caution.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 20 June 2020

Just finished the main quest. Got lucky with chain attack extensions and took down the boss in one chain attack (Shulk's extra skill tree also helps).

Gotta say. In the end, the real Monado was the friends we made along the way.

JWeinCom said:
Just finished the main quest. Got lucky with chain attack extensions and took down the boss in one chain attack (Shulk's extra skill tree also helps).

Was this your first time playing it? (I forget)

curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

Was this your first time playing it? (I forget)

Nah.  Played it back on the Wii and once since then.  

Around the Network

I just got to the Fallen Arm, the reunification section is the beating heart of the entire story.

Unfortunately, it’s after this part that I tend to lose interest in continuing on.... but I tend to pick it up again months later. Although, this time I’ll probably push through because I tend to New Game+ this one.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Update from the slow-poke. I'm in Chapter 9 now (40 something hours in), although I've played many games that have better graphics, I've got to say this game has stunning environments, some of the best in any game. I thought Gaur Plains would be the highlight since it's the location that made it into Smash but then there's Satorl Marsh at night (my favorite), the Makna Forest Waterfalls, Eryth Sea at night. It's a joy to discover new locations.

Signature goes here!

Future Connected is underwhelming but the base game remains as great as ever.

Despite all I was saying earlier, I ended up getting the definitive edition lawlz. New Horizons has been a bit a dissapointing, will have to hope the free updates do more than just catch the game back up to New Leaf, and The Last of Us 2 is a complete trash fire, so I really wanted something that I know for sure is top tier awesome. I only paid $20 for the original game on Wii U so at least I don't feel like I wasted money.

I still think I like Xenoblade 2 better overall namely for that gameplay, but I definitely am enjoying reliving a great story with minimal cringeyness! They have indeed fixed Melia, her AI actually attacks now, making more team comps viable, so my main complaint from the first game is taken care of. However, quest seem to be as numerous and tedious as before, though yes you don't have to do them, and I originally wasn't going to, but the min-maxer in me demands I get all skill trees. The graphics aren't amazing or anything but still a nice upgrade, and I was worried I wouldn't like the new arrangements, but I haven't switched to the original version for any song they're that good! Otherwise I don't notice much difference from the original, which is fine because it was already great.

Beat the entire Definitive Edition, including Futures Connected.

Yep, still my favorite action RPG of all time. But even better than ever. I'll start off with the things I didn't like.
The one thing I asked that remained unchanged was the soundtrack. I believe my exact words were, "Don't touch it! Leave it alone! It's already perfect!" But did Monolith Soft. listen? Nope.

Soundtrack - I will say, most of the tracks have been improved over the original version. Time to Fight, Colony 9's themes, Satorl Marsh's night theme, Eryth Sea's day theme, Mechonis Field. I even think Engage the Enemy was improved slightly, which I didn't think was possible! But in other places, I actually think it was worse than the original. Namely, Gaur Plains and Mechanical Rhythm. It's a minor nitpick, but... Man, when you're already at the top/perfection, there's nowhere to go but down. :/

Graphics and art style - Man, if there was ever a game, besides Skyward Sword, that was severely limited by the Wii's hardware, it was this game. I played the original Wii version back in December in preparation for this version just to compare. And in the graphical department, it's like on a scale from 1 to 10, we went from 4 to 8-9! It's the most noticeable with the character models! Everyone can actually give proper facial expressions now! Not just Riki!

Gameplay: Still as great as it was in the original. And they addressed the biggest complaint I had, which was sidequests. That little blue dotted line for sidequests saved me A LOT of time, blind searching, and frustration. And whenever I found myself needing to grind, whether to take on a Unique monster, prepare for a boss fight, or max my affinity between all the party members, Expert Mode quickly became my best friend. It especially helped in Futures Connected. And I may or may not be in the minority, but I much prefer Xenoblade 1's combat system over Xenoblade 2's.

Story: The story is still as engaging on its own as when I first played. But now I got way more excited and hype after having played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because:

Spoiler!

When I saw Alvis wearing the necklace that looked like an Aegis core crystal, it pretty damn much confirms that Alvis is Ontos! And that he was sent to this universe while Logos (Malos) and Pneuma (Pyra/Mythra) remained in Xenoblade 2's universe. 

And then, of course:
"Today, we use our power to fell a God, and then SEIZE OUR DESTINY!"
Elsewhere: "Hurry, the time is nigh."

Then, there's Futures Connected. Which is the main thing I wanted to address. And it's pretty much all spoilers, so:

Spoiler!

Let me start by saying: The Fog King sucks. Not in terms of a boss fight, because after grinding so I could beat that Dragon and complete the Ponspectors' side quest, I was so overleveled for the Final Boss that I could just still back and let Melia, Shulk, and Kino do the work themselves while I checked my phone messages.
As a boss fight, to go from Zanza to... whatever the hell THIS thing was (Someone on the development staff was watching Lord of the Rings and must have REALLY liked Sauron.) It's just... pathetic. Pathetic and extremely disappointing. But thankfully, that's not what Futures Connected is primarily about.

Melia FINALLY got her time in the spotlight and a strong character arc. I was kind of expecting that. What I WASN'T expecting was for this campaign to focus on Tyrea - A character who had little to no importance or relevance in the original game, almost as much as Melia. They lightly touched on it in the main game with that one side quest after the events of Mechonis Core, but they went all in with her here. Which I think was the best thing about this epilogue, it made me come around to Tyrea as a character, and now, if they have any further plans with this group for potential future games, say.... Xenoblade Chronicles 3... I hope Tyrea is in the thick of the action fighting alongside them. I was SO disappointed that Tyrea didn't join the party as a playable character, she looked like she would've been awesome to play as. She's got what looks like dual swords and she's High Entia, so they could've made her play like Fiora with more emphasis on ether attacks. I mean, they already made Kino and Nene ripoffs of Sharla and Reyn, respecitvely, so why not just give her Fiora's attacks, with some of Melia's ether arts mixed in. But whatever. Just seemed like a missed opportunity to me.

And I think the title "Future Connected" is really referring to Melia and Tyrea. Their relationships, and how together, they are the hope of the High Entia, and they're leading them to prosperity together, thus their futures are connected or how the future of the High Entia is connected to them. As far as the whole "ties/hints to the next game/Xenoblade 3" theories are concerned, I didn't really see anything in this epilogue that would suggest something like that. I don't know. Maybe after I've replayed 2, because that's what I'm going to do once I've finished the Torna campaign, I'm going to start a New Game+ playthrough of Xenoblade 2, then I may think differently, but for now, I didn't see it.

I was actually surprised by just how minor of a role Shulk plays in this epilogue. He's really just here for the ride and to provide emotional support (and he's the main character and face of the franchise - basically marketing), along with Kino and Nene (Who are just cute as buttons! I just want to hug them!) This was strictly Melia's story, with Tyrea not too far behind her. It kind of caught me off guard, but it makes sense. Zanza is defeated, so Shulk's story is finished. 

Overall, I'd say Future Connected was a solid expansion for what it was worth.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 08 July 2020