Super Mario 3D Land 5 0.98%

Super Mario 3D World 28 5.51%

Super Mario Odyssey 133 26.18%

Who care's they all amazing! 69 13.58%

None/Other 12 2.36%

Total:508
Rocketjay8 said:
curl-6 said:

I am only 8 kingdoms in, but while I haven't found any serious flaws in Odyssey, it's soundtrack isn't in the same league as the Galaxy games. Galaxy 1 is the game I would pick as the most flawless of the bunch.

To be honest I think it's impossible to top the Galaxy games soundtrack. But the end song and Jump Up Superstar in Odyssey are both in the same league as Galaxy.

Well, I haven't got to the end yet, but yeah Jump Up Superstar is amazing. 

The Galaxy games though, they have some of the best soundtracks I have ever heard in any game, ever.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Dulfite said:
Odyssey is a masterpiece, and not because it has the best of any one quality, more so because it doesn't have any flaws. 64 had a horrible controller and terrible camera. Galaxys had wii mote controls which don't hold up well over time on this type of game, making them unejoyable for me to even play now. 3d land and world were amazing, but very simplistic and catering towards the casual crowd. Odyssey isn't the best because it has the best level design, music, transitions, plot, or any other reason; it is the best because it just has no flaws.

I am only 8 kingdoms in, but while I haven't found any serious flaws in Odyssey, it's soundtrack isn't in the same league as the Galaxy games. Galaxy 1 is the game I would pick as the most flawless of the bunch.

I remember 64's soundtrack and some of Sunshines. I don't remember any sounds of Galaxy 1, 2, 3d land, or 3d world. If I'm judging based on memories, then that soundtrack from galaxy wasn't that great, but I could just remember it incorrectly.

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

I remember 64's soundtrack and some of Sunshines. I don't remember any sounds of Galaxy 1, 2, 3d land, or 3d world. If I'm judging based on memories, then that soundtrack from galaxy wasn't that great, but I could just remember it incorrectly.

I'd go so far as to say Galaxy has one of the finest soundtracks in all of gaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWhhMxrX-Us&index=17&list=PLhHcMbVmbwCcD8cx1jtim6yn6WacMDGLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RxF2MfZ5YA&list=PLhHcMbVmbwCcD8cx1jtim6yn6WacMDGLI&index=18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_n3dKdDxsQ&list=PLhHcMbVmbwCcD8cx1jtim6yn6WacMDGLI&index=21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zBVkp-aR_M&list=PLhHcMbVmbwCcD8cx1jtim6yn6WacMDGLI&index=22

curl-6 said:
Rocketjay8 said:

To be honest I think it's impossible to top the Galaxy games soundtrack. But the end song and Jump Up Superstar in Odyssey are both in the same league as Galaxy.

The Galaxy games though, they have some of the best soundtracks I have ever heard in any game, ever.

Personally, I think Odyssey has some tracks that trump Galaxy.  Personally find Cascade Kingdom simply phenomenal and more memorable than the best Galaxy level tracks.  Jump up, Super Star is really great too.  And New Donk City has fantastic music.  The music in Odyssey is in the same league, imho, there's just less of it due to the structure.  I don't think it beats Galaxy though.  

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

Personally, I think Odyssey has some tracks that trump Galaxy.  Personally find Cascade Kingdom simply phenomenal and more memorable than the best Galaxy level tracks.  Jump up, Super Star is really great too.  And New Donk City has fantastic music.  The music in Odyssey is in the same league, imho, there's just less of it due to the structure.  I don't think it beats Galaxy though.  

I had forgotten Cascade Kingdom, that was indeed musically wonderful, but 8 Kingdoms in I still haven't heard anything as quite magical as Gusty Garden or Rosalina's Observatory. Still, I believe I'm about halfway through the game so who knows, maybe the best is yet to come.

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy's Music is so amazing that I will probably go to a Super Mario Galaxy concert haha.

Anyway
Galaxy > Odyssey > Galaxy 2 > Sunshine > 3D land

I haven't played through 64 all the way. I should do that one day. I never bought 3D world since 3D land was such a disappointment that I refuse to buy it.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Sunshine is still my favourite. Based on my (albeit very limited) experience with Mario Odyssey, I pretty much doubt it's going to top it.

It would look something like this:

Sunshine > 3D Land > Galaxy > Mario64/DS > Galaxy 2 > 3D World.

Unsure where Odyssey would fit there so far.

curl-6 said:

I had forgotten Cascade Kingdom, that was indeed musically wonderful, but 8 Kingdoms in I still haven't heard anything as quite magical as Gusty Garden or Rosalina's Observatory. Still, I believe I'm about halfway through the game so who knows, maybe the best is yet to come.

From my super limited and untrustworthy experience with Galaxy : I thin Odyssey stacks up pretty well in terms of soundtracks. Granted I haven't played Galaxy in like 10 years and I never played it much, but I remember pretty much every popular track from the game because it's OST get's circle-jerked(and rightfully so xD!) In relation, I think Odyssey stacks up very well! It might not be "better" than Galaxy's OST, and it might not have as many great songs(I'll leave the Mario expeerts to decide on these two). But it also has a whole lot less areas than Galaxy.

I kind of hate Jump Up, Superstar! Because it has taken any and all discussion about the amazing soundtrack away from other songs and put the spotlight solely on it. Sort of like how Radiohead felt about Creep in the 90's!!! There are songs equally as good if not better on the soundtrack. 

Here are amazing Odyssey songs. I tried to .... somewhat ... rank them xD :

(Not only is it mindblowing they were able to make a Surf Funk song work in a forest area ... but even the "Sherm" variant is also amazing!)

(And even if this last one sounds like generic elevator music, it is still amazing!)

Halfway through that I forgot what I had ranked thus far, so things got sloppy! It just shows the flash sign! Lol. xD

I think the problem is that Nintendo has made so much music that veterans might think some of the tracks aren't special. Just from hearing some of those again I can hear Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country ... even a little Banjo ... which isn't even Nintendo!

Regardless, I'd say it's one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard for a game! The goals for Nintendo on this one were quite different from Galaxy. Galaxy is course based so you really just need to focus on making epic songs, or a few mellow songs that are short. Nintendo had to make songs for this that would stay continously great after hours of play, and I think they nailed it! There was some contention over the Breath of the Wild soundtrack, but Odyssey's nails it! I would even say it's underrated and needs more attention!

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 04 November 2017

Mario Galaxy I&II with almost 30%.... seems to be winning the vote.
Followed closely by Odyssey.

Vote so far:
Galaxy > Odyssey > 64 > 3Dworld > Sunshine

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Dulfite said:
Odyssey is a masterpiece, and not because it has the best of any one quality, more so because it doesn't have any flaws. 64 had a horrible controller and terrible camera. Galaxys had wii mote controls which don't hold up well over time on this type of game, making them unejoyable for me to even play now. 3d land and world were amazing, but very simplistic and catering towards the casual crowd. Odyssey isn't the best because it has the best level design, music, transitions, plot, or any other reason; it is the best because it just has no flaws.

Odyssey has NO flaws? Really? Lol

What flaws are you thinking about? (Aside from the camera.)