By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should teach their 3rd party supporters their file compression secrets.

Art style has nothing to do with file sizes. It has everything to do with texture resolutions and if the software is scalable or not.

3rd party developers also have a terrible history of not compressing audio and leaving it lossless. Which creates insane file sizes.

It's rarely the geometry or code that takes up a bulk of the space. Nintendo has been compressing their games to crazy file sizes for years. Hell, Mario World was 128k. Mario 64 was 8MB. So yeah, more often than not it's the developers and their will to compress files or not. They have gotten into the groove of not giving a shit because PS4 and Xbone have 500GB+1TB HDD space and they figure "oh, they can handle it". Which is true, but only for about 10 games or so. If Sony and MS didn't have huge HDDs for their devices those users would be in the same predicament Switch users are in. Gears is like what, 100GB with the works on Xbone? That's insane.

But both parties are to blame. Devs are complacent about compression because they can be and Nintendo doesn't have enough on-board storage.

Around the Network

Nintendo need to just seriously release a console with a good amount of memory, 24gb is just stupid

Deeeeznuuuts said:
Nintendo need to just seriously release a console with a good amount of memory, 24gb is just stupid

just try to make a tablet as powerful as a ipad pro for under 300$, and then we'll talk.

Deeeeznuuuts said:

How much do you need and what would you pay for?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

This is what they need carts that have write access. to store the patches on the carts.

64gb cart would be plenty for most games.

Around the Network

I feel like compression somehow decreases the graphical quality of the game, I mean even compressing music files decrease the sound quality so it should do the same for games. I'd rather have games in all it's 100 GB glory over a quality decrease for more system space.  

What really grinds my gears is that the internal storages on PS and Xbox may be bigger but everybody simply ignores the fact that most of these so called AAA games need absurd amounts of space just to run. There are already people with no space left, yet somehow this is only a Nintendo problem.

adisababa said:

I feel like compression somehow decreases the graphical quality of the game, I mean even compressing music files decrease the sound quality so it should do the same for games. I'd rather have games in all it's 100 GB glory over a quality decrease for more system space.  

Ehm...no. That's not that kind of compression people are talking about. You don't get a loss in quality unless they put lower quality files on the disc/ cartridge. The files are compressed and will be unpacked when needed. This needs cpu resources and could lead to higher loading times.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

adisababa said:

And the myth of audible audioloss with compression continues.

GoOnKid said:

What really grinds my gears is that the internal storages on PS and Xbox may be bigger but everybody simply ignores the fact that most of these so called AAA games need absurd amounts of space just to run. There are already people with no space left, yet somehow this is only a Nintendo problem.

but at least PS and Xbox actually play the "so called AAA games"

It's not about compression secrets, it's about actually having high resolution textures and voiced dialogue. Something that doesn't seem to exist in Nintendo games.