By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should teach their 3rd party supporters their file compression secrets.

flashfire926 said:
umm....this "better textures and more realistic art style" reasoning needs to stop. Ratchet and Clank is 26.4 gb, knack is 35.6 gb. That argument holds no weight.

They have things like cutscene, voice acting, polygon count and texture you know... the things people reasoned as what takes space.

On PS3 vs X360 it was already seem that From DL-DVD to BL the space was mostly used for audio and uncompressed textures.

But sure the reason must be that Nintendo is just 10x more competent in making their file sizes smaller at the same quality.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
V-r0cK said:
There's a lot that can be said about this but ultimately if all 3rd party games goes down this route and there's no 'good' way around it then it's really just Nintendo's fault. They must taken into account of this well before releasing the Switch unless they're that stupid. Lets hope the new Switch upgrade model will have a much larger internal storage too.

But  but but Nintendo listened to the 3rd parties. The Switch isn't a system made only for Nintendo needs.

lol not even sure if this is a 3rd party problem but just a generalization.  Seeing as how the Switch released 2yrs after the gen started should've given NIntendo an idea of game sizes and how big they could be.  Sad that the Switch has the same storage size the average cell phone yet those are mainly used for pictures and music, whereas Nintendo knows its main storage use is for large game files. 

Oh well, I'm sorta use to this since I own an 8gb Wii U. So NIntendo really hasn't learned since last gen? Which btw Smash for Wii U is 15gb so I couldn't play it without getting an SD card but I can easily play Bayonetta 1 & 2.  Guess Platinum Games should teach Nintendo about their file compression secrets too :P

V-r0cK said:
DonFerrari said:

But  but but Nintendo listened to the 3rd parties. The Switch isn't a system made only for Nintendo needs.

lol not even sure if this is a 3rd party problem but just a generalization.  Seeing as how the Switch released 2yrs after the gen started should've given NIntendo an idea of game sizes and how big they could be.  Sad that the Switch has the same storage size the average cell phone yet those are mainly used for pictures and music, whereas Nintendo knows its main storage use is for large game files. 

Oh well, I'm sorta use to this since I own an 8gb Wii U. Which btw Smash for Wii U is 15gb so I couldn't play it without getting an SD card but I can easily play Bayonetta 1 & 2.  Guess Platinum Games should teach Nintendo about their file compression secrets too :P

Well Nintendo listened to their own... space cost money, our games are small size files so we can put a small internal HDD.

Don't tell anyone Smash takes 15Gb (I remember several games on WiiU taking more space than the basic version had, and all the Nintendo fans that were quick o say... but you don't need to install anything on the console so this isn't an issue).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Spindel said:
adisababa said:

I feel like compression somehow decreases the graphical quality of the game, I mean even compressing music files decrease the sound quality so it should do the same for games. I'd rather have games in all it's 100 GB glory over a quality decrease for more system space.  

And the myth of audible audioloss with compression continues.

It's not a myth. I notice the difference between using ARC (limited to lossy 5.1) and direct 7.1 pcm connection to the amp (downmixed to 5.1). If you know what to listen for you can tell. I'm not sure about audio samples and compressed voice, yet the difference in output is noticeable. Ofcourse lossless compression like DTS HD MA / Dolby True HD works too, same as png losslessly compresses graphics.

I wish games would move on to 96kz sampling instead of the age old 48khz. The difference between 48 and 96 is far more noticeable than lossy and lossless compressed audio. Ofcourse that also doubles the audio file size.

TorterraBoy said:

Following the recent news of games such as WWE 2k18 and LA Noire having 25GB download sizes (EVEN ON THE PHYSICIAL VERSION), this will harm Nintendo Switch’s future for 3rd party sales and support!

Now if you look at games such as

BoTW 12GB (Biggest man-made open world game yet)

Splatoon 2 = 3.7GB 

You can clearly tell Nintendo has some tricks to make their games small and accessible. NOW GIVE THESE TRICKS TO YOUR THIRD PARTY SUPPORTERS!!!! If not, the sales may be poor and consumers won’t buy 3rd party games. Leading to Switch getting no 3rd party support for future years.

Are you saying Nintendo could get LA Noir as it is down to the size of Zelda? 

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
V-r0cK said:

Oh well, I'm sorta use to this since I own an 8gb Wii U. Which btw Smash for Wii U is 15gb so I couldn't play it without getting an SD card but I can easily play Bayonetta 1 & 2.  Guess Platinum Games should teach Nintendo about their file compression secrets too :P

Well Nintendo listened to their own... space cost money, our games are small size files so we can put a small internal HDD.

Don't tell anyone Smash takes 15Gb (I remember several games on WiiU taking more space than the basic version had, and all the Nintendo fans that were quick o say... but you don't need to install anything on the console so this isn't an issue).

Clearly Nintendo were thinking about their own lol

Ya there's something about some Nintendo fans that couldn't believe the 8gb Wii U wasn't enough for Smash bros :/

V-r0cK said:
DonFerrari said:

Clearly Nintendo were thinking about their own lol

Ya there's something about some Nintendo fans that couldn't believe the 8gb Wii U wasn't enough for Smash bros :/

Well we are all at faulty when defending our company of choice...

But case in point I remember Nintendo saying they collected the needs from the 3rd parties... and also some PR from those companies about the marvelous system Switch is.

People wanting the Switch to have bigger built in internal storage, what would you sacrifice?

A.) Portability
B.) Price
C.) Profit???

There has to be a cost. The Switch isn't perfect but I purchased a 256gb SD card and it wasn't cheap!

Nintendo isn't an expert at compression, it's just simply because their games have limited or no voice audio, very rarely do their games have cutscenes and then you simply factor in they tend to use much more simple "art styles" and you have your answer.

d21lewis said:
People wanting the Switch to have bigger built in internal storage, what would you sacrifice?

A.) Portability
B.) Price
C.) Profit???

There has to be a cost. The Switch isn't perfect but I purchased a 256gb SD card and it wasn't cheap!

What people wanting 3rd party games to be smaller should sacrifice?

a) VA

b) Texture

c) Audio quality

d) game size

e) Not buying and complaining this is a subpar port