By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch VS others console - first 3 quarter shipments

So, i thought this could be interesting for some people...

First 3 quarter of sales:

PS4 – 10.20 million*
WII – 9.27 million*
NSW – 7.63 million***
3DS – 6.68 million**
NDS – 6.65 million
XB1 ~ 5.70 million
PSP - 5.03 million
360 – 5.00 million*
PS3 – 4.70 million
WIU – 3.61 million

* Stock problem
** no holidays season
*** stock problem + no holiday season

So, it looks like so far only Wii an PS4 did better than Switch... rememb tho, both had a holiday season.

Around the Network

Nintendo switch under 20mil lifetime.

If im wrong i dont care!

Nintendo DS didn't start very strong, initially. Surprised me.

KLAMarine said:
Nintendo DS didn't start very strong, initially. Surprised me.

the origininal ds is ugly

One argument I hear a lot is that Holiday sales don't matter because the quantity of consoles available in a console launch means near parity in consoles sold through.

Recently though I've been thinking about it and I've come to a somewhat different conclusion. What if holiday launches are still important to distinguish, because of the holiday buying process and how it trickles down into further months. For instance if the PS5 launches and sells 2 million units in 2 months during a holiday launch, and 600k of those people are buyers specifically because of the holidays, then that means 600k potential gamers are going to buy it after the holiday launch. It's essentially consuming some of the potential buyers. Whereas with the Switch launch, there wasn't any of the holiday buyers(people who only buy consoles during holidays) consuming the potential sales of the system, so a lot of the hardcore userbase that were planning to buy the console don't have to go out and get those 600k after launch into the later 2 months or so.

That could be wrong, but it is something to think about.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
One argument I hear a lot is that Holiday sales don't matter because the quantity of consoles available in a console launch means near parity in consoles sold through.

Recently though I've been thinking about it and I've come to a somewhat different conclusion. What if holiday launches are still important to distinguish, because of the holiday buying process and how it trickles down into further months. For instance if the PS5 launches and sells 2 million units in 2 months during a holiday launch, and 600k of those people are buyers specifically because of the holidays, then that means 600k potential gamers are going to buy it after the holiday launch. It's essentially consuming some of the potential buyers. Whereas with the Switch launch, there wasn't any of the holiday buyers(people who only buy consoles during holidays) consuming the potential sales of the system, so a lot of the hardcore userbase that were planning to buy the console don't have to go out and get those 600k after launch into the later 2 months or so.

Sony could release the PS5 in July and it would still sell 2 million units in its first week if they produce enough units (provided there is some sort of killer game). The launch of a new (popular) console is such a big event that they will almost always know shortages at the start of each gen. The reason why Sony and MS usually launch consoles during the holidays is the same reason why they have extensive contact with third parties about launching a new console. If a playstation launches during the holidays it doesn't need to launch with a big exclusive and has a decent library within 2 months from its launch.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

This Switch is doing incredibly well. Just the thought of the word "Pokemon" makes my hair stand on end.

I can't wait for the revision bundle. Gonna hop on that so fast.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

mZuzek said:
tbone51 said:
Nintendo switch under 20mil lifetime.

If im wrong i dont care!

You're not wrong. It has sold only about 7 million lifetime, in fact making it Nintendo's worst selling console (except that which shall not be named). An epic failure, may I add.

False. If we are making Harry Potter connections, then Wii U would be "shall not be named." The virtual boy was Doloris Freaking Umbridge, the true evil and epicenter of doom in that series.

I think that it doesn't provide the full context to say that the Switch didn't have a holiday season, while the PS4 and Wii did, since both of those consoles were supply strained at launch, during the holiday season.

Qwark said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Sony could release the PS5 in July and it would still sell 2 million units in its first week if they produce enough units (provided there is some sort of killer game). The launch of a new (popular) console is such a big event that they will almost always know shortages at the start of each gen. The reason why Sony and MS usually launch consoles during the holidays is the same reason why they have extensive contact with third parties about launching a new console. If a playstation launches during the holidays it doesn't need to launch with a big exclusive and has a decent library within 2 months from its launch.

You literally missed the entire point of my comment and I don't know how. 

But you are right.