By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA is not committed to Switch, they don't understand the Switch market yet.

Conina said:
animegaming said:
Here's a thought, Why is Fifa a test? Most of its popularity is in Europe which is Nintendo's weakest territory by far. Hell I get the feeling that port of The Sims 4 coming out next week would of done better if it was on the Switch instead of Fifa.

FIFA is by far their strongest IP worldwide. What would you have chosen? Madden NFL?

Not a Sports game. 

Perhaps EA needs to diversify their line-up some more because it's basically all sports titles and FPS. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

I can guarantee you that you guys would also complain about EA if they had chosen any other game than FIFA as first Switch game, no matter if it were Madden, Need for Speed, an FPS or one of their popular mobile games.

Conina said:

I can guarantee you that you guys would also complain about EA if they had chosen any other game than FIFA as first Switch game, no matter if it were Madden, Need for Speed, an FPS or one of their popular mobile games.

Plants vs Zombies GW would've been a nice and welcomed surprise, and people who like Splatoon might have tried it out. The Sims or Sim City would have hit a cord with the Switch's audience, seeing that games like Stardew Valley have made quite good numbers there. A port of Dragon Age games would have been decent too, using the same reasoning as Bethesda did with Skyrim (Zelda fans liked BotW, Skyrim/DA is a somewhat similar game, let's make it and see what happens). Dead Space, even if its developer has been axed, could do well too, considering that there aren't that many terror games on the system, plus it has some Metroid-esque vives. And of course, they have a plethora of things they could've done with Star Wars. This is all counting all of the mostly mobile offerings they could have brought to the tablet that's the Switch: Zuma's Revenge, the OG Plants vs Zombies, Peegle Blast... They would have been ridiculously easy to port, and no matter how little they would've done, they would have still made profit.

This is all taking into account that, if the FIFA game we've gotten was a fully featured game (if it had all the features the other versions had) it would have done significantly better. People don't like paying the same price for an incomplete version.

Point is, EA had tons of options for a decent trial run. And the one they picked was gimped from the beginning. So people being angry at them is understandable.

Last edited by Darwinianevolution - on 12 November 2017

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Tbh it says a lot when EA are the only ones out of publishers including Ubisoft, Namco, Koei and such who didn't garner any success on the platform.

Wyrdness said:
Tbh it says a lot when EA are the only ones out of publishers including Ubisoft, Namco, Koei and such who didn't garner any success on the platform.

Exactly, Mr Pugsly is trying to say Nintendo is an outlier.This gen that is starting to become an incorrect assumption. Its EA who is the outlier on the Nintendo platform. Almost every third party will have an exclusive for the switch. After Squares success on the DS you know they are bringing the traditional JRPG's to the switch. Ubisoft has already found success. Activision and EA are all thats left because Namco is in.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

What did they say in their financial reports? Nintendo made them more money than XBox? Who would've thought that would be possible with an outlier?

Only because the only notable game release during that quarter was Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle but if we take a look at the entire fiscal year instead it will paint a very different picture where it is Xbox that will decimate whatever profits Nintendo can bring them for years and years to come ... 

Eh. Kinda pointless. I mean, the only games they make that I buy are madden (about 2x per gen), Battlefield, and Battlefront (basically DICE stuff).

I see Battlefield and Battlefront being more of a PS4 purchase. I do think I would buy a madden on the Switch though.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't really care if EA succeeds on Switch, its just not my concern. However, I don't think EA makes a lot of content that could thrive on Switch.

If EA was interested in creating the "creative" experiences you want I'm sure they could find the talent for that. But its probably a risky endeaver they aren't interested in and they already do well with their current sytle of games. But those games don't have much of an audience on Switch.

I think what's happening here is you're bitter that EA has a lot of money and they aren't investing it in games Switch owners want.

Rocketleague is the type of game that seems viable on a Nintedo platform. Doom and Wolfenstein are really Bethesda testing the platform.

You seem to think Nintendo being an outlier is some sort of insult to the audience and platform. Yet you admit taste of Nintendo users is different than other platforms. Hence, you agree its an outlier.

Nintendo is making the moves. Their fans need to support the games they desire. its all on the fans and third party now. Nintendo has done their part.  Whether you like their platform or not has nothing to do with it. Businesses want to make money, so it would be in their best interest to gauge the market and put a game that would fit in on the platform.Nintendo isn't an outlier.....Nintendo verifiably won the generation before their last with the Wii. They just didn't make a console the competition could put their top tier games on. Ubisoft doesnt think.....they port. If hey cannot port...they are bewildered. Ubisoft thinks....and thus we have Mario + Rabbids. What did they say in their financial reports? Nintendo made them more money than XBox? Who would've thought that would be possible with an outlier?

There is a lot of anger in your post. You talk to me like I'm some sort of anti Nintendo guy but really I'm just skeptical of how well Switch can do with core titles that do well on other platforms. Based on trends with past Nintendo platforms, home and handheld.

It doesn't matter if I like the Switch, I'm making assumptions based on trends and so did developers who chose to support it or not. I can really love a platform and still understand why it lacks certain support.

Again, you don't understand what I mean by outlier. There are core titles that do fairly well on PC, Xbox, and PlayStation but aren't worth supporting on Switch. That's what makes it an outlier. With that said, this is also why Xbox lacks Japanese content, Xbox is an outlier with that audience. You seem to think outlier means its a platform NOBODY wants, either you're playing dumb to make an argument or misinterpreting.

You keep praising Ubisoft because of Mario and Rabbids, but when you put Mario in anything it has potential to sell really well. Unfortunately I don't think every developer has access to Mario. I mean there is no Mario in Doom for example.

So again, Ubisoft did well on Switch thanks to having access to Mario and they made a typical family friendly project for Nintendo's audience. Meanwhile, Xbox got For Honor, Wildlands, South Park, and AC: Origins. It appears to me Ubisoft is catering to these specific platforms in different ways based on trends. Interesting, huh?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Ea is like micorsoft. They could make a sim.... but outside of that would take a lot of thought for them. True creativity is a mission for them. There's a reason why Ubisoft doesn't have much of a hard time with Nintendo. If EA acted like they like a creative entity they wouldn't have much of a problem.

I think the argument you're making is ignorant. But more importantly EA and Nintendo are leaning into where they've found the most success.

Even if Nintendo could make a good sim, does their audience want that? No, thats why Nintendo keeps making Zelda and countless Mario games.

Ubisoft caters to the Nintendo audience more than EA, but Ubisoft's bread and butter in not Nintendo.

.... countless Marios and Zeldas???? They make those at the very most twice per gen(or 0 in the WiiUs case). Mario? I mean since 1996 there has been 5 3D marios(M64, SMS, GAL1+2 and Odyssey) and 6 console Zeldas(OoT, MM, WW, SS, TP, BoTW). In 21 years there has been 11 mainline Marios and Zeldas combined. Get that shit out of here man. Don't try to make it look like Nintendo is going Activision or EA on their franchises. 

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Wyrdness said:

Exactly, Mr Pugsly is trying to say Nintendo is an outlier.

Again, you're misinterpreting.

Compared to other platforms the Nintendo audience is the outlier and that's why they don't get a lot of the same popular titles on other platforms.

Doom and Wolfenstein are coming to Switch because a big audience for those games is there per se. They are testing the water to see if audience is there. But much like CoD on Wii, games like that could do well at first and fade.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)