By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm hyped for Nintendo's 2018.

Tagged games:

What do you want most next year?

Kirby Star Allies 9 2.09%

Yoshi 6 1.39%

Fire Emblem 52 12.06%

Retro's game already! 62 14.39%

Metroid Prime 4 118 27.38%

Pokémon 60 13.92%

Super Smash Bros. 29 6.73%

Animal Crossing 37 8.58%

Something else entirely 41 9.51%

see results 17 3.94%

Total:431

Kirby and especialy Yoshi will be good games, but I'm not hyped for it. However I'm hyped for Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4 and unannounced titles (I'm counting on Pikmin and Retro new IP!). Also Octopath Traveler and Shin Megami Tensei V are going to be really good.

2018 will be another great year for Nintendo, but maybe not that great as 2017.

Around the Network

No way, they can't top Zelda and Mario Odyssey for me, not even close. Hoping for some good 3rd party titles to appear though!

Luigi's Mansion 3, next year. In 2018's SMO slot for Halloween.

mZuzek said:

There's a chance Smash is coming, yeah, but at this point it's becoming increasingly hard to tell if it'll be this soon - and the same goes for Animal Crossing, especially given how much the mobile game resembles the console ones (I haven't seen anything about it to know, but it is what I've been told at least).

It's the opposite in Animal Crossing's case, it's now very safe to expect a new game next year. So far all of Nintendo's mobile efforts have released within months of a mainline game, and we now know that Pocket Camp releases in November. Yes it is a massively stripped and watered down version of the mainseries, but so was Fire Emblem Heroes.

So because of that is why I'm hyped for 2018!

Smash will be released mid 2018.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

I'm less hyped, it could be a filler year with their B tier franchises and more Wii U ports, Fire Emblem is the IP I care the least about. I dont expect Pokemon and MP4 until 2019.

I hope to be positively surprised tho, a new Platinum collab (W102!), Animal Crossing, another arcadey title like Mario Football 3 and it's a good year.

I think they can put out just as many decent first party games in 2018 as in 2017, but it's extremly hard to make something that's equally good as BotW and Odyssey.

Mm, I don't expect much for 2018, Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem and maybe Animal Crossing, complemented with more Wii U ports, Smash among them.

The only game from that bunch that would make me care about the Switch is ironically the one that pisses me off the most, more Fire Emblem means less Advance Wars.

I still believe Super Smash Brothers will come in March-May similar to Mario Kart 8 this  year. 

In the fall, you can expect Animal Crossing because the mobile app is to spark interest in the game like Mario run was for Mario Odyssey and the Nintendo brand.

I also would highly suspect Metroid Prime 4 in the fall due to the teaser so early at E3. More footage will likely be shown between January and E3 2018.  There are also some rumors circulating out there pointing to this same fact, but it makes sense either way.

Already this would almostbe as strong of a lineup as we have had this year, add in Yoshi, Kirby, the inevitable indies and 3rd party titles, but there are plenty other potentials.  Most likely Nintendo will have 1 or 2 new IPs to fuel the future catalog like ARMS this year.

High probability candidates: Pikmin 4, Mario Maker port, Bayonetta compilation, Virtual Console

Medium probability candidates: Donkey Kong title, Retro Studio game, Mario Party, flood of 3DS dual releases, Chibi Robo, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars

Low probability candidates: Pokemon RPG (This is the first console title and expectations are high - there may be a 3DS/Switch crossover title before we see the dedicated Switch title)

In terms of output it is likely to be similar. In terms of perceived quality (by perhaps gamers and definitely critically) it is unlikely to match 2017. Games are subjective though and different people prefer different genres. So it could be richer diversity-wise and may appeal to some gamers more.Although it will extremely difficult for Nintendo to match the 3 90+ meta scores in 2018. However critical acclaim doesn't always mean commercial success. Nintendo could release titles that perform better sales-wise but fall below the 2017 benchmark in terms of critical acclaim. Tomadachi life is 1 such series that could fit that criteria. Whether it will be seen as being as big a console sales driver remains to be seen. Although in that respect, you can't underestimate the huge impact SMO has had to the Switch. That, along with the big hitters to a lesser extent from this year could probably drive console sales until well into 2018. Maybe even to halfway through it! Could well have started up an almost unstoppable momentum.

I would guess at a Donkey Kong title next year too. Probably straddles the line between a tier 1 and tier 2 Nintendo IP but given the Switch's userbase potential i would argue this gen it will be a tier 1 franchise.