By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gran Turismo Sports Reviews - 76 Metacritic (44 Reviews) - 77 OpenCritic (44 Reviews)

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep I have seem that in one review.

And sure, after you do the good lap times you'll probably not get much better so you only need to enter close to the start.

Lobby is the alternative

I reached Sportmanship rating S which isn't that great in practice currently. Maybe the pool for rank S is very small since I get matched with people that are much better than me. Even after improving my qualifying time, I still start at place 5 at most in the easier race and place 10 in the longer one. I get matched with driver ratings A through D (all SR S) with people that drive lap times that are 5 sec faster than me on Nurburgring GP. Meanwhile I'm very careful not to hit anybody, back off and wait to re-enter the track, then got timed out for being more than a minute behind the leader after the 10 lap race was done. (Half the pack didn't make the finish in time) My DR deleveled back to D. Still I rather race from behind than get wedged in in the middle of the pack and inevitably get hit or pushed from behind while preventing to hit the person in front of me making a small mistake.

Some of those qualifying times are also 3 to 5 sec faster than what I can manage. Perhaps this roster has been running all week and only the die hards are left with tuned cars. (I hate tuning, haven't touched those settings, which is why I prefer games like DC with a true level playing field) Or maybe I'm not all that good at the game! Anyway, it now seems impossible to improve my DR rating, which frankly would only make it harder anyway...

Don't level your SR rating up too quickly :) I hope this is temporary and daily races will indeed become daily and not weekly. I had some great evenly matched race experiences in the beginning, yet now it's the usual leader escsapes, rumble in the back, except a very polite rumble lol. I guess matching based on tuned / stock cars is out of the question...

You are too polite of a racer =] so you rose too fast on SR.

And it's possible that the pool isn't that big so there is a 10s gap between first and last (although on F1 that isn't unusual) and someone will always be behind =] ... on the car adjustment perhaps you'll have to set to one car and start noting down the adjustment for each track on the car of that class that you like so you can make it.... and probably each time you are doing qualifying you need to improve the adjustment. In Nurburgring I can see 5s being from difference in skill more than adjustment. But on 1min30s 5s when you do great then there is something odd at place.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

And it's possible that the pool isn't that big so there is a 10s gap between first and last (although on F1 that isn't unusual) and someone will always be behind =] ... on the car adjustment perhaps you'll have to set to one car and start noting down the adjustment for each track on the car of that class that you like so you can make it.... and probably each time you are doing qualifying you need to improve the adjustment. In Nurburgring I can see 5s being from difference in skill more than adjustment. But on 1min30s 5s when you do great then there is something odd at place.

On the GP track my qualifying time is 2:01.388 while the fastest is 1:54.126. Indeed on the 8 minute 24h version it 5 sec difference isn't that much, here I suspect some tuning differences. On Kyoto I got 1:45.556 vs top 1:41.101 (same car) Sure I can still improve a bit, yet 7 seconds...

I don't know the first thing about tuning and don't really care to tinker with those settings anyway. Yet perhaps I won't have a choice if I want to stay competitive. Or find a lobby with stock cars :)

I did the last campaign race again, improved my time on the 4 lap 24h Nurb, unfortunately that doesn't give you any more money nor xp. Got to do a custom race for that. I spend I'll my money on trying all the 1 million dollar race cars out in VR, broke again!

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

On the GP track my qualifying time is 2:01.388 while the fastest is 1:54.126. Indeed on the 8 minute 24h version it 5 sec difference isn't that much, here I suspect some tuning differences. On Kyoto I got 1:45.556 vs top 1:41.101 (same car) Sure I can still improve a bit, yet 7 seconds...

I don't know the first thing about tuning and don't really care to tinker with those settings anyway. Yet perhaps I won't have a choice if I want to stay competitive. Or find a lobby with stock cars :)

I did the last campaign race again, improved my time on the 4 lap 24h Nurb, unfortunately that doesn't give you any more money nor xp. Got to do a custom race for that. I spend I'll my money on trying all the 1 million dollar race cars out in VR, broke again!

well on the Kyoto is 4s (but it still is a lot).

Don't worry about the tunning. It doesn't take long for the specialized forum to have best tunning for each track and car and you can go there and copy =p I have done it to get some hard wins in GT5P.

KKkkkkk yep getting the collection of 1M can be a problem... but with only 160 cars and all the ways you can get prizes it won't be so harsh to get the ones you want most.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
SvennoJ said:

Don't worry about the tunning. It doesn't take long for the specialized forum to have best tunning for each track and car and you can go there and copy =p I have done it to get some hard wins in GT5P.

KKkkkkk yep getting the collection of 1M can be a problem... but with only 160 cars and all the ways you can get prizes it won't be so harsh to get the ones you want most.

True, I got tons already from completing the campaign and still get one a day for driving 40km. In 3 months I should have them all, whether I buy them or not.

Copying the tuning settings is a good idea. It's something I really liked in Forza, simply copy the car settings of anyone in the game. Dunno if they still have that, it's been a while since I played Forza mainline.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

True, I got tons already from completing the campaign and still get one a day for driving 40km. In 3 months I should have them all, whether I buy them or not.

Copying the tuning settings is a good idea. It's something I really liked in Forza, simply copy the car settings of anyone in the game. Dunno if they still have that, it's been a while since I played Forza mainline.

3 months to get all cars is good, have any prize car repeated itself?

Not sure how it worked in FM. But up to GT6 we had to look at all details on the internet manually write then down and then put they on the game... allowing us to copy the setting of best lap or the best lap using the car you are using would be fantastic instead of just allowing you to copy from the ones you are racing.

Perhaps even save with the name of the guy so you know which to choose depending on what you want. like a lap time, endurance, etc.

Have you looked at the consumption control for the endurance to see if it help on those challenges?

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Not sure how it worked in FM. But up to GT6 we had to look at all details on the internet manually write then down and then put they on the game... allowing us to copy the setting of best lap or the best lap using the car you are using would be fantastic instead of just allowing you to copy from the ones you are racing.

Perhaps even save with the name of the guy so you know which to choose depending on what you want. like a lap time, endurance, etc.

Have you looked at the consumption control for the endurance to see if it help on those challenges?

There is a challenge where you have to manage fuel consumption to make it. I've also used it on the Interlagos track when I forgot to pit in time, it works, it slows you down, but I made it to the pit.

What I recall from Forza is that you could inspect the cars you raced against after the race and copy the settings used for that race. It would be nice if GT allowed that as well, but maybe people rather keep their settings private. I have no clue if Forza still has that.

What I would like to see is an AI engineer on your side that adjusts the car based on your driving style while doing time trials. Hone it in, make suggestions and actually teach you how to get better, instead of trail and error.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

There is a challenge where you have to manage fuel consumption to make it. I've also used it on the Interlagos track when I forgot to pit in time, it works, it slows you down, but I made it to the pit.

What I recall from Forza is that you could inspect the cars you raced against after the race and copy the settings used for that race. It would be nice if GT allowed that as well, but maybe people rather keep their settings private. I have no clue if Forza still has that.

What I would like to see is an AI engineer on your side that adjusts the car based on your driving style while doing time trials. Hone it in, make suggestions and actually teach you how to get better, instead of trail and error.

Interesting on Forza.

On GT it was very open, but that was before it became GTS e-sport.

An engineering could be interesting idea, although for the people that know car turnning it isn't really trial and error. But an AI that can set the car to your driving habits, profile of the race would help.

On quick tip, go as low as possible with the car for more grip and less resistance. Set your foils with just enough downforce to help you on the corners but not getting in the way of your straights (you can also look if the circuit have more importance on straight speed/acceleration or corner speed to help you balance the downforce, because downforce always generate resistance).the tyre adjustment I don't remember quick advices to give you unfortunatelly, nor the gear ratio, except minding the accelaration vs top speed depending of the type of circuit again.

DonFerrari said:

Interesting on Forza.

An engineering could be interesting idea, although for the people that know car turnning it isn't really trial and error. But an AI that can set the car to your driving habits, profile of the race would help.

On quick tip, go as low as possible with the car for more grip and less resistance. Set your foils with just enough downforce to help you on the corners but not getting in the way of your straights (you can also look if the circuit have more importance on straight speed/acceleration or corner speed to help you balance the downforce, because downforce always generate resistance).the tyre adjustment I don't remember quick advices to give you unfortunatelly, nor the gear ratio, except minding the accelaration vs top speed depending of the type of circuit again.

I know the principles, just don't have the patience anymore to adjust something, drive five laps to see if it's too much or too little or no difference, adjust something else, repeat. I messed around with it a bit in GT5, adjust the downforce, adjust the springs and height, optimize the gear ratios to match the cornering speed. Never got a handle on the camil toe adjustments though (camber :p) It was more to make the car spark and fly, I was never any good at tuning. Just give me optimum settings for car and track and I'll do the driving :)

However Mario Odyssey is now being played, no time for GT Sport atm. My 6 year old is playing atm, it looks kinda dull now I'm used to HDR and wide color, Mario isn't that bright and colorful anymore! Looks tons of fun anyway.

Going into a lobby after racing with SR S rank in Sport mode is quite a culture shock. (Of course you can filter them on rank as well) With boost on strong it was constant bumping and pushing in corners, the normal, and the host named the lobby 'clean racing fun'....

The lobby system hasn't improved much. It loads faster yet you still can't practice while a race is already under way, you can only spectate, so boring. On the lobby screen you can see which rooms are racing and in practice mode yet no easy way to see if a race has nearly finished or still has a bunch of laps to go. Choose one in practice mode and the host might just leave it in practice. I did 3 practice laps on the Nordschleife (which for some reason don't count to your driving distance) and then left as the host wasn't responding.

The second Nordschleife lobby I tried was almost done racing so I hoped to get a race in there, yet the host switched tracks after to Dragontail which was a big bump fest. Third time is the charm, race started, half the pack didn't move from the start line, bugged. After a lengthy restart finally a 2 lap race on the Nordschleife after almost an hour of trying to get in one. It was Bop race (fixed car performance) unfortunately I had hard tires while the rest raced on SS with tire wear disabled... so yeah got overtaken in the corners. Still fun and got third, yet at this pace making money is going to take very long.

So still the same as GT5 and GT6, go to track down some reliable regular hosts again or get lucky. Apparently people are abusing the online to grind money, start a high lap count race, open the menu while racing so the AI takes over and $$$ I guess.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Interesting on Forza.

I know the principles, just don't have the patience anymore to adjust something, drive five laps to see if it's too much or too little or no difference, adjust something else, repeat. I messed around with it a bit in GT5, adjust the downforce, adjust the springs and height, optimize the gear ratios to match the cornering speed. Never got a handle on the camil toe adjustments though (camber :p) It was more to make the car spark and fly, I was never any good at tuning. Just give me optimum settings for car and track and I'll do the driving :)

However Mario Odyssey is now being played, no time for GT Sport atm. My 6 year old is playing atm, it looks kinda dull now I'm used to HDR and wide color, Mario isn't that bright and colorful anymore! Looks tons of fun anyway.

Yep I'm not that good tunner myself and also doesn't have the patience =p.

Well let the child have their time and enjoy the game, it's also good to let that simplicity fill in your eyes so you can be amazed again when playing GT.

SvennoJ said:
Going into a lobby after racing with SR S rank in Sport mode is quite a culture shock. (Of course you can filter them on rank as well) With boost on strong it was constant bumping and pushing in corners, the normal, and the host named the lobby 'clean racing fun'....

The lobby system hasn't improved much. It loads faster yet you still can't practice while a race is already under way, you can only spectate, so boring. On the lobby screen you can see which rooms are racing and in practice mode yet no easy way to see if a race has nearly finished or still has a bunch of laps to go. Choose one in practice mode and the host might just leave it in practice. I did 3 practice laps on the Nordschleife (which for some reason don't count to your driving distance) and then left as the host wasn't responding.

The second Nordschleife lobby I tried was almost done racing so I hoped to get a race in there, yet the host switched tracks after to Dragontail which was a big bump fest. Third time is the charm, race started, half the pack didn't move from the start line, bugged. After a lengthy restart finally a 2 lap race on the Nordschleife after almost an hour of trying to get in one. It was Bop race (fixed car performance) unfortunately I had hard tires while the rest raced on SS with tire wear disabled... so yeah got overtaken in the corners. Still fun and got third, yet at this pace making money is going to take very long.

So still the same as GT5 and GT6, go to track down some reliable regular hosts again or get lucky. Apparently people are abusing the online to grind money, start a high lap count race, open the menu while racing so the AI takes over and $$$ I guess.

This experience seems unfortunate, would be one of the reasons I usually don't like online, full of people to damper your excitement and enjoyment.