By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cuphead's controls suck

Is Cuphead hard?

Yes 42 49.41%

No 27 31.76%

Other 16 18.82%

Total:85

The basic control scheme is not good at all, but when I adjusted it, the game became much more intuitive. I actually think it's good in this typ of game to only have eight directions in which to shoot, since it affects the strategy and skill you must employ.

Around the Network

Just remap the controls. I'm playing on PC with an X1 controller. For me A=Jump, B=Switch weapons, X=aim, Y=dash, RT=Shoot, LT=Ex. Shoot. I like this control set up because I can constantly shoot while jumping and doing everything else.

Rubbish too frustrating to play

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Wright said:

I just beat the game in 5 hours, but I guess I can see why people feel like it's too hard. If you feel like you can't shoot and aim at the same time, just go buy the green power from the store: it'll make all your shots be redirected toward the enemy. Also buy the Smoke Dash option, which makes you invulnerable when dashing, and you're all set.

I never really had to map the buttons on the controller either, I know some people prefer shooting on the RT, but I just left it on the X and it was alright for me. xD

No way you beat cuphead in 5hrs! I mean, unless u played the bosses on easy. I don't see how it's possible otherwise unless you're a damn video game wizard. 

pitzy272 said:

No way you beat cuphead in 5hrs! I mean, unless u played the bosses on easy. I don't see how it's possible otherwise unless you're a damn video game wizard. 

No wizardry, mate. I guess I just didn't struggle with the controls like the OP did, and got quickly adjusted to the game's pace.

Here, just in case my claim feels too rocambolesque, say hi to the thumbnail!

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:
Wright said:

I just beat the game in 5 hours, but I guess I can see why people feel like it's too hard. If you feel like you can't shoot and aim at the same time, just go buy the green power from the store: it'll make all your shots be redirected toward the enemy. Also buy the Smoke Dash option, which makes you invulnerable when dashing, and you're all set.

I never really had to map the buttons on the controller either, I know some people prefer shooting on the RT, but I just left it on the X and it was alright for me. xD

I'm pretty sure it can be done. Just like how a lot of old school Nintendo games were hard as heck but once you figured them out, they could be beaten in a couple of hours. Hell, sometimes 15 minutes!

Most of the stages I've played are about two minutes long. Two hard as hell minutes, but still just two minutes. Oh the controls are tight and responsive enough to where it's usually your fault when you die. If this guy can figure out the boss patterns that fast, I'm sure he could beat this game in five hours.

Not me, though. This thing is hard!

d21lewis said:
pitzy272 said:

I'm pretty sure it can be done. Just like how a lot of old school Nintendo games were hard as heck but once you figured them out, they could be beaten in a couple of hours. Hell, sometimes 15 minutes!

Most of the stages I've played are about two minutes long. Two hard as hell minutes, but still just two minutes. Oh the controls are tight and responsive enough to where it's usually your fault when you die. If this guy can figure out the boss patterns that fast, I'm sure he could beat this game in five hours.

Not me, though. This thing is hard!

Haha same here! I mean, I think the avg boss in isle 3 has taken me like 45min or even more to beat. Damn that robot boss btw. Damn him to hell. He was by far the hardest boss so far. 

Umm, can't you essentially re-map the entire control scheme in the options menu if you don't like the default settings?

And 8-directional aiming is too hard? WTF???

Pfft, kids these days. There are NES games way more difficult and frustrating than Cuphead.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
Umm, can't you essentially re-map the entire control scheme in the options menu if you don't like the default settings?

And 8-directional aiming is too hard? WTF???

Pfft, kids these days. There are NES games way more difficult and frustrating than Cuphead.

8 directional aiming is not too hard, I just disagree with it in this game.

This game is designed to be like an analog medium, cramming 8 way digital aiming into a game like that does not mesh with the visual design.

In my opinion.

If it was a pixel art game, then sure, but I don't think it fits this game.

I use my xbox one controller to play on my PC cup head. only thing i dont like is the shooting 8 way thing. its so bad with the hold to not move while shooting on diagonals. Other then that I think they are fine.

but i'd say they suck as a vote.