By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Shop Channel Closing in 2019

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2017/September/Important-information-about-the-closure-of-the-Wii-Shop-Channel-1285994.html

Ever since its debut in December 2006, Nintendo UK has announced that the Wii Shop Channel will be closing down on both the Wii and Wii U sometime in 2019.

-Adding points to the Wii Shop Channel will end Monday 26th March 2018 at 21:00 UK time.

-Purchase of WiiWare, Virtual Console software, Wii Channels (including free software)* will end Thursday, 31st January 2019 at 06:00 UK time.

-Full closure of the Wii Shop Channel and disabling of redownload functions in 2019 (more details to be announced at a later date).

If there were any games on Virtual Console or Wiiware that you were thinking about buying, now would be the time to do so.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Is the DSi shop still open?

I would hope this doesn't affect Wii U's virtual console, right?

I can't imagine there is very much upkeep cost to maintaining that eShop. Why not just keep it up and running indefinitely?

Flilix said:
Is the DSi shop still open?

IIRC they were already shutdown sometimes this year. Doesn't matter much anyway since unlike the Wii Shop Channel, The Eshop has its on DSiware section.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
RaptorChrist said:

I can't imagine there is very much upkeep cost to maintaining that eShop. Why not just keep it up and running indefinitely?

Wii Shop Channel and eShop aren't the same.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

RaptorChrist said:

well, when they close the wii shop and DSI store, ALL thier services can use one server.

Hmmm...I've only ever used the WiiShop Channel for Vc games, but the Wii still has such a big library of VC games that never came to WiiU and probably wont anymore either. Between that and the future of VC on Switch being uncertain, this isn't great news....

It's great that they're letting people know well in advance. !2+ years of the shop open is very impressive for a console that has not been relevant for at least 4 years now. I hope the Wii U eShop stays open until at least 2019 as well, if not beyond (especially if there is not a Virtual Console on Switch).

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
It's great that they're letting people know well in advance. !2+ years of the shop open is very impressive for a console that has not been relevant for at least 4 years now. I hope the Wii U eShop stays open until at least 2019 as well, if not beyond (especially if there is not a Virtual Console on Switch).

It might have to do with the fact that in many countries the wii U never came out.

korea for instance, had its own reigion code, and the wii is STILL sold by nintendo... untill switch launches in december.