By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will this be the last console Gen for Microsoft?

2003 " Will this be the last console for Nintendo?" Nope.
2007 " Will this be the last console for Sony?" Nope.
2017" Will this be the last console for MS?" Likely not.

2000 " Will this be the last console for SEGA?" :(

Around the Network
Birimbau said:

With all strong XBOX IPs available on PC, the stimulus to buy one Scorpio will be very low + the most expensive console. If it ends up selling very poorly, will MS abandon the console market and only provide their IPs PC/Windows?

I am a PC Gamer.
I have pre-ordered an Xbox One X.

Birimbau said:
The Scorpio reminds me the Steam Machines which were meant to be a kind console-ish-PC and failed miserably because all Steam users are very happy on PC.

Steam Machines ARE a PC.

shikamaru317 said:

I highly doubt it. Xbox One is still selling just fine and MS makes alot of money still from accessories and live subs.

Microsoft seems to be pushing Xbox One controllers on PC fairly hard, so they must be making some pennies from that approach otherwise they wouldn't bother.
They even went as far as to include Bluetooth in their controllers to remove the need for silly dongles/adapters.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Aside from software sales and OS sales how would they make as much from PC gaming as they do on consoles? I mean don't get me wrong I'm a strong advicate for PC being a healthy platform but unless you develop hardware or have a store as popular as Steam you'd get less money then you do from selling overpriced TV boxes

Microsoft is pushing it's own store on PC. It's success has been debatable however.
Most PC gamers though genuinely love Steam, that is an uphill battle for Microsoft to convince otherwise.

RolStoppable said:

Because profits from gaming are peanuts on Microsoft's balance sheet.

Good thing Xbox is more than just gaming then.

It does help push up numbers in regards to Skype, Edge Browser, Bing, Movies/TV... And developers are more inclined to use Azure/Microsoft's servers for their games and so on.
Just looking at the raw numbers of consoles sold or profits isn't giving us a complete picture.

I'll use an analogy of what happened to me fairly recently, my service station removed LPG fuel from sale citing "low sales". - So I stopped going to that service station as they didn't offer something I wanted... which meant I also didn't buy petroleum to fill up my other fuel tank, it meant I didn't go inside the store to buy food or drinks... All my business went elsewhere.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Birimbau said:
The Scorpio reminds me the Steam Machines which were meant to be a kind console-ish-PC and failed miserably because all Steam users are very happy on PC.

PC users weren't the target audience. Those people have the actual knowledge on how to plug a PC into a TV. The problem was console owners being too happy with what they have because they don't realize what they could have.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Yes.
However Xboxes will still be made

no, i believe they already planning their next gen console name XBOX10

Around the Network

If the scorpio sales are bad, then probably.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Definitley not.

The real money comes from Xbox Live memberships and platform royalties. 1st party revenue is tiny in comparison.

Exiting no, but I expect the Xbox to gradually shift from a "classic" console to a set top Windows PC dedicated for gaming.

Nah but it’ll probably be much different from what we’re used to. Nintendo and Sony will keep doing their thing however. But I see microsoft taking a much more pc approach from here on.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
I've been saying for months now that they are slowly exiting the market to focus on PC gaming.

Aside from software sales and OS sales how would they make as much from PC gaming as they do on consoles? I mean don't get me wrong I'm a strong advicate for PC being a healthy platform but unless you develop hardware or have a store as popular as Steam you'd get less money then you do from selling overpriced TV boxes

Why do you think that consoles are overpriced (it's bs btw)?