By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will this be the last console Gen for Microsoft?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
I've been saying for months now that they are slowly exiting the market to focus on PC gaming.

They aren't exiting the console race. They are trying to merge the console and PC realm with their one unified application of Xbox which no longer just denotes consoles but their gaming division as a whole under a multiplatform application. Sony marketshare upon entrance to the industry compelled them to join. It's also what will demand them to stay. As far as I've seen micorsoft likes to compete with other brands that have multimedia devices and challenge their marketshare so they can be the end all be all. Problem is they are losing on almost all fronts outside of windows itself and that's Pretty much a monopoly on PC.

So they are still battling to be kings of the livingroom then? I think that's a pretty outdated strategy. PS3 fell on hard times by trying to be kings of the livingroom via forceing Blu-Ray on everybody. Ten years later and MS can't see with 20/20 hindsight? MS has already said that they don't care about console sales as much as they care how many people are using their products (whether it be a Windows PC, or an Xbox console), on a monthly basis. So if all XB1 users suddenly stopped playing on Xbox, and moved to PC MS wouldn't really care. I am open to the idea of XBlive sales making them care about their console, but I'd need to see the XBlive financials (and they don't put that information out anymore). Plus, if they really cared about XBlive users, they would have come out and said "We care about the number of XBlive users", and not "We care about how many people are using our devices on a monthly basis". This is really telling because not caring about XBlive users, or console sales is very close to just flat out not caring about their console at all. Why keep Xbox around then? So they can keep getting users that prefer having a console over a PC? Sony will just outcompete them in that arena. But maybe that's your entire point. Like you said above, Xbox is analogous to every other failed multimedia project that MS has launched. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They aren't exiting the console race. They are trying to merge the console and PC realm with their one unified application of Xbox which no longer just denotes consoles but their gaming division as a whole under a multiplatform application. Sony marketshare upon entrance to the industry compelled them to join. It's also what will demand them to stay. As far as I've seen micorsoft likes to compete with other brands that have multimedia devices and challenge their marketshare so they can be the end all be all. Problem is they are losing on almost all fronts outside of windows itself and that's Pretty much a monopoly on PC.

So they are still battling to be kings of the livingroom then? I think that's a pretty outdated strategy. PS3 fell on hard times by trying to be kings of the livingroom via forceing Blu-Ray on everybody. Ten years later and MS can't see with 20/20 hindsight? MS has already said that they don't care about console sales as much as they care how many people are using their products (whether it be a Windows PC, or an Xbox console), on a monthly basis. So if all XB1 users suddenly stopped playing on Xbox, and moved to PC MS wouldn't really care. I am open to the idea of XBlive sales making them care about their console, but I'd need to see the XBlive financials (and they don't put that information out anymore). Plus, if they really cared about XBlive users, they would have come out and said "We care about the number of XBlive users", and not "We care about how many people are using our devices on a monthly basis". This is really telling because not caring about XBlive users, or console sales is very close to just flat out not caring about their console at all. Why keep Xbox around then? So they can keep getting users that prefer having a console over a PC? Sony will just outcompete them in that arena. But maybe that's your entire point. Like you said above, Xbox is analogous to every other failed multimedia project that MS has launched. 

That won't happen in at least 10 coming years. That's why MS won't leave console market after this gen.

they got one more in them. I kinda hope they keep this whole PC thing they're doing going, thats what they've should have been doing from the very start.

Microsoft needs to go into flossing. Everyone flosses, right? It's a sure win like investing in toilet paper.

LivingMetal said:
Microsoft needs to go into flossing. Everyone flosses, right? It's a sure win like investing in toilet paper.

LOL, this!    And they could invent a multi-purpose toilet paper that after use reacts with shit and becomes floss.   

Anyhow, with the old Lardmer's bully strategy, XBOne could be considered a failure (and actually most mistakes in the XBOne initial strategy were just due to old Lardmer era management), but with current Nadella's creeping strategy, being profitable and keeping MS business as widespread, diversified and ubiquitous as possible is already enough, and he can even use markets where MS isn't first to divert worries about MS monopolistic cravings.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

I think they will go for another round, but if it flops they will probably stop. They have already been moving everything to the PC and are basically just selling hardware for the couch crowd.

If their hardware sales drop so low they aren't worth the R&D, then they will probably just focus on the PC again. But yeah... i don't predict things getting any better for them unless they make changes.