By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 18th - 24th September 2017

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Soundwave said:
Monster Hunter V or VI (whatever they want to call it) is already in development for Switch, book it. Capcom is stupid, but they're not dumb enough to end the portable line of MH games. "World" will be the new series for PS4/XB1 home consoles.

Generally speaking though I think this series was going to see a fair sized decline this generation anyway.

Why do people keep saying "Monster Hunter 5"? World IS Monster Hunter 5. It's being made by the team that made 4, and they consider it a mainline entry. People need to get over that fact. It's either a Worlds port, or a continuation of the terribly lazy side series they've been doing for mobile for a few years. Considering how terrible Generations is, the best I could hope for is a Worlds port.

Nope IMO "World" will become the new console only line of MH games, so it'll be MH World 2, 3, etc. for PS4/XB1. 

Switch is going to get its own next installment, whether they want to call that Monster Hunter 5, Monster Hunter 6, Monster Hunter 5 Portable (which doesn't really make sense for Switch because it can be played at home), Monster Hunter 5 Switch .... etc. etc. etc. I don't know. 

This isn't really even a new thing, Capcom had a the home line of MH games before on PS2 and Wii, and then the much, much more popular line for the PSP. The portable line is the main "series" of MH when it comes to sales, doesn't even matter which dev team is behind it. The "main" MH made MHTri for Wii, but the PSP games (MHP3rd) was far, far bigger. 

The idea that Capcom would stop making future mainline portable versions of Monster Hunter was always idiotic, the best selling home console MH game has sold 1 million in Japan, and needed to be heavily discounted for months to crawl to that number and was on a console more successful than the PS4 to boot, the portable MH series sells 4-5+ million. It's just a matter of what they want to call MH games on Switch. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Monster Hunter V or VI (whatever they want to call it) is already in development for Switch, book it. Capcom is stupid, but they're not dumb enough to end the portable line of MH games. "World" will be the new series for PS4/XB1 home consoles.

Generally speaking though I think this series was going to see a fair sized decline this generation anyway.

Why do people keep saying "Monster Hunter 5"? World IS Monster Hunter 5. It's being made by the team that made 4, and they consider it a mainline entry. People need to get over that fact. It's either a Worlds port, or a continuation of the terribly lazy side series they've been doing for mobile for a few years. Considering how terrible Generations is, the best I could hope for is a Worlds port.

Why isn't it called 5 then? They say they don't want to intimidate newcomers with a numbered sequel, but that sure as hell didn't stop them from making "4" on the 3DS.

In fact, it would probably sell better if it were called 5...

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Soundwave said:

Nope IMO "World" will become the new console only line of MH games, so it'll be MH World 2, 3, etc. for PS4/XB1. 

Switch is going to get its own next installment, whether they want to call that Monster Hunter 5, Monster Hunter 6, Monster Hunter 5 Portable (which doesn't really make sense for Switch because it can be played at home), Monster Hunter 5 Switch .... etc. etc. etc. I don't know. 

This isn't really even a new thing, Capcom had a the home line of MH games before on PS2 and Wii, and then the much, much more popular line for the PSP. The portable line is the main "series" of MH when it comes to sales, doesn't even matter which dev team is behind it. The "main" MH made MHTri for Wii, but the PSP games (MHP3) was far, far bigger. 

Call it World if you want("World" is such a fucking terrible name, I keep calling it Worlds because it sounds just so much more natural), but it is pretty much the next mainline Monster Hunter. Even if Capcom didn't come out and say it, the MH4 team has been the main team for Monster Huner for a long time now, and they're working on it. Beyond that, I expect Monster Hunter Worlds to get some form of paid content later on, either in the form of big expansions or small microtransactions. That kind of stuff has simply been adopted on consoles for a long time where as handheld gaming rarely has it in triple A games. Not only could it maximize profit on what is surely a huge investment, but it keeps hype around a game. If Capcom want it to succeed, they're going to want Worlds to be in western headlines for a while on gaming sites. Even if there aren't big content updates, I expect the World team will still be working on it for a tad while. 

So who would develop a MH Switch game? The generations team? The way I see it, there will either be a World port, or a very hastly made exclusive title that probably won't be well made.

Slarvax said:

Why isn't it called 5 then? They say they don't want to intimidate newcomers with a numbered sequel, but that sure as hell didn't stop them from making "4" on the 3DS.

In fact, it would probably sell better if it were called 5...

Why would it have to be called 5 to be a legit sequel though? That's just an illogical way of thinking. Monster Hunter World is a much more descriptive name that easily establishes the concept of a big open world-ish Monster Hunter. It's the same kind of naming scheme they did for Generations. 

RolStoppable said:
aikohualda said:

how was other "great" selling console in JAPAN like every week? will switch compete with it?

Switch is competitive with consoles that went on to sell 20m or more in their lifetime in Japan.

i guess they just have to crack european market to be a great "success"

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

This isn't really even a new thing, Capcom had a the home line of MH games before on PS2 and Wii, and then the much, much more popular line for the PSP. The portable line is the main "series" of MH when it comes to sales, doesn't even matter which dev team is behind it. The "main" MH made MHTri for Wii, but the PSP games (MHP3) was far, far bigger. 

Call it World if you want("World" is such a fucking terrible name, I keep calling it Worlds because it sounds just so much more natural), but it is pretty much the next mainline Monster Hunter. Even if Capcom didn't come out and say it, the MH4 team has been the main team for Monster Huner for a long time now, and they're working on it. Beyond that, I expect Monster Hunter Worlds to get some form of paid content later on, either in the form of big expansions or small microtransactions. That kind of stuff has simply been adopted on consoles for a long time where as handheld gaming rarely has it in triple A games. Not only could it maximize profit on what is surely a huge investment, but it keeps hype around a game. If Capcom want it to succeed, they're going to want Worlds to be in western headlines for a while on gaming sites. Even if there aren't big content updates, I expect the World team will still be working on it for a tad while. 

So who would develop a MH Switch game? The generations team? The way I see it, there will either be a World port, or a very hastly made exclusive title that probably won't be well made.

The Japanese audience decides what is the next "impact" MH game and that won't be a home console game. 

We went through this before with MH Tri on Wii ... that was the next "mainline" MH game ... it also sold 1/4 of what the PSP MH games were selling. Same thing with the PS2 MH games. These are both consoles that are more successful than the PS4. 

The portable MH line ... whatever Capcom chooses to call it is the "main" MH series when it comes to sales, Japan gives zero fucks about what Capcom says the next MH is. The next "big" MH for sales in Japan will be on Switch because Switch is portable. And that game is IMO already well into development. 

Capcom will announce it after MHW releases. 

Kerotan said:

Was cross play confirmed? 

I don’t know. I thought it was. It would be pretty stupid not to have cross-play for a series so dependent on its multiplayer community. Especially if they want the series to have a chance to grow in the West. Like I’m not even sure why they would bother with an XBO version if they can’t play with the Japanese fanbase at all.

Soundwave said:

The Japanese audience decides what is the next "impact" MH game and that won't be a home console game. 

We went through this before with MH Tri on Wii ... that was the next "mainline" MH game ... it also sold 1/4 of what the PSP MH games were selling. Same thing with the PS2 MH games. These are both consoles that are more successful than the PS4. 

The portable MH line ... whatever Capcom chooses to call it is the "main" MH series when it comes to sales, Japan gives zero fucks about what Capcom says the next MH is. The next "big" MH for sales in Japan will be on Switch because Switch is portable. And that game is IMO already well into development. 

Right but Monster Hunter Tri got ported to the 3DS ... you see where I'm going with this?

Honestly, it makes very little sense to make two seperate games when such an investment has been put into Worlds. I get that a minority are on the fence about the game, but that probably hardly matters in Japan. They'll jump on any Monster Hunter portable game. The best thing to do would be to port World. 

I simply think that a Switch exclusive would probably be inferior if not done by the main team. That's not what I want when I play my Switch. I'm perfectly fine with people wanting MH on the go, hell I want it. But i'd rather have a Worlds port honestly.

Soundwave said:

Right but Monster Hunter Tri got ported to the 3DS ... you see where I'm going with this?

Honestly, it makes very little sense to make two seperate games when such an investment has been put into Worlds. I get that a minority are on the fence about the game, but that probably hardly matters in Japan. They'll jump on any Monster Hunter portable game. The best thing to do would be to port World. 

I simply think that a Switch exclusive would probably be inferior if not done by the main team. That's not what I want when I play my Switch. I'm perfectly fine with people wanting MH on the go, hell I want it. But i'd rather have a Worlds port honestly.

They probably can't port/use the word 'World' anyway because of whatever deal they signed with Sony. 

Monster Hunter 5 Switch is what they'll likely call the Switch game and it will sell 3+ million on Switch in Japan whereas "World" probably won't even do half that. 

And I think the MHXX team is already working on MH5 Switch. MHXX port was basically a way for them to get their feet wet with the system. The whole point of the appeal of MH in Japan is the local portable multiplayer where kids/teenagers play with their buddies during school break/on the bus/train/etc. Console MH can never have that, that's why the console MH games can never replicate what the portable series is. Capcom can name it whatever the fuck they want, but in Japan, that's the reality. 

If it isn't portable, then it isn't "really" the next mainline MH game in the eyes of Japanese consumers.

Mbolibombo said:
Just once in the last 10 weeks did the Switch dip under 40k (22k, wonder what happend there?) Looking good. Pay attention japanese devs! :>

After the Splatoon 2 craze it's stabilized around 45k (50k-43k the last four weeks)

Given they are still drawing numbers to see who gets to have a chance to buy a Switch in Japan, I think the numbers are less to do with any craze dying and more to do with these being about the shipment numbers Nintendo can manage :P