By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 18th - 24th September 2017

Soundwave said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Right but Monster Hunter Tri got ported to the 3DS ... you see where I'm going with this?

Honestly, it makes very little sense to make two seperate games when such an investment has been put into Worlds. I get that a minority are on the fence about the game, but that probably hardly matters in Japan. They'll jump on any Monster Hunter portable game. The best thing to do would be to port World. 

I simply think that a Switch exclusive would probably be inferior if not done by the main team. That's not what I want when I play my Switch. I'm perfectly fine with people wanting MH on the go, hell I want it. But i'd rather have a Worlds port honestly.

They probably can't port/use the word 'World' anyway because of whatever deal they signed with Sony. 

Monster Hunter 5 Switch is what they'll likely call the Switch game and it will sell 3+ million on Switch in Japan whereas "World" probably won't even do half that. 

And I think the MHXX team is already working on MH5 Switch. MHXX port was basically a way for them to get their feet wet with the system. 

Welp...then that's fucking disappointing. Generations was ass. 

I don't know if I really agree with the whole "Sales determine what is a mainline game" thing but I guess it really doesn't matter in retrospect because a sequel will be made to the game that sells the most. Really is such a stupid move to not put World on Switch.

Around the Network

Actually I'm fine with "World" being on PS4/XB1 ... they can keep the "World" series. Capcom whether they admit it or not pulled a fast one on Sony by doing this. Yes they will justify it a million ways publically, but IMO deep down they simply wanted a sweetheart deal from Sony, but also wanted to retain the Monster Hunter 5 name for the Japanese portable market.

I don't buy their excuse for not calling the PS4 game MH5. They knew full well what they're doing. MHW can be the "next mainline MH", but that means dick all in Japan. MH5 will be on Switch.

No game company in the world is dumb enough to end a 4+ million selling franchise. 

Soundwave said:

Actually I'm fine with "World" being on PS4/XB1 ... they can keep the "World" series. Capcom whether they admit it or not pulled a fast one on Sony by doing this. Yes they will justify it a million ways publically, but IMO deep down they simply wanted a sweetheart deal from Sony, but also wanted to retain the Monster Hunter 5 name for the Japanese portable market.

I don't buy their excuse for not calling the PS4 game MH5. They knew full well what they're doing. MHW can be the "next mainline MH", but that means dick all in Japan. MH5 will be on Switch.

No game company in the world is dumb enough to end a 4+ million selling franchise. 

I think you are looking too much at a press release and not enough at how big the committment is though

And THAT is why i'm frustrated. World genuinely looks like an improvement over MH 3DS in almost every way. I want the series to keep the big differences that are in World. 

But that will only happen with A ) the good dev team and B ) possibly a big budget

I'm not upset over World not being a mainline title because I prefer Playstation or something. I don't, i'd prefer a Switch game. I'd just be upset if the games don't keep innovating on what World looks to be doing so well. So many new improvements that I think look awesome

Soundwave said:

I think you are looking too much at a press release and not enough at how big the budget is though.

And THAT is why i'm frustrated. World genuinely looks like an improvement over MH 3DS in almost every way. I want the series to keep the big differences that are in World. 

But that will only happen with A ) the good dev team and B ) possibly a big budget

Yeah and MH Tri on Wii had better graphics, bigger budget, and all that jazz over the PSP line. 75%+ of the MH fanbase in Japan said "nope" to MH Tri on Wii.

I'm just saying in terms of sales ... Japan giveth zero fucks about that. 

The next "mainline" MH for the Japanese market is the one that arrives on Switch. Even Capcom knows this, that's why they weaseled their way out of calling MHW Monster Hunter 5 IMO. They can't publically say that obviously, but that was their "bail out" card. 

Besides the leaked rumor basically has said as much too, and there was way too much detail there to be all coincidental. 

Soundwave said:

I think you are looking too much at a press release and not enough at how big the budget is though.

Yeah and MH Tri on Wii had better graphics, bigger budget, and all that jazz over the PSP line. 75%+ of the MH fanbase in Japan said "nope" to MH Tri on Wii.

The next "mainline" MH for the Japanese market is the one that arrives on Switch. Even Capcom knows this, that's why they weaseled their way out of calling MHW Monster Hunter 5. 

Ok but i'm not arguing that. I'm just saying the next game should at least take the gameplay improvements from World and put it into "5" if there even is one. It doesn't even have to have a similar graphics style to World(although it would be very fucking cool to see those graphics on the Switch).

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

The next "mainline" MH for the Japanese market is the one that arrives on Switch. Even Capcom knows this, that's why they weaseled their way out of calling MHW Monster Hunter 5. 

Ok but i'm not arguing that. I'm just saying the next game should at least take the gameplay improvements from World and put it into "5" if there even is one. It doesn't even have to have a similar graphics style to World(although it would be very fucking cool to see those graphics on the Switch).

Probably they can do that, I don't think Sony can moneyhat play mechanics or even art style.

Capcom will probably call MH Switch MH5 or even MH6 and there's probably not a damn thing Sony can do about it. To be honest Capcom right now is probably sweating bullets ... all their "deals" will Sony this gen have turned out horribly for them, they likely are just wanting to get MHW out of the way so they can get out of whatever deal they signed on that. 

Street Fighter V bombed, Resident Evil 7 is a huge decline for the franchise, Marvel Vs. Capcom has bombed ... Capcom cannot simply just end the portable MH series. It's the only reliable thing they have left. This PS4 "generation" has been miserable for Capcom.

Soundwave said:

Probably they can do that, I don't think Sony can moneyhat play mechanics or even art style.

Capcom will probably call MH Switch MH5 or even MH6 and there's probably not a damn thing Sony can do about it. To be honest Capcom right now is probably sweating bullets ... all their "deals" will Sony this gen have turned out horribly for them, they likely are just wanting to get MHW out of the way so they can get out of whatever deal they signed on that. 

Street Fighter V bombed, Resident Evil 7 is a huge decline for the franchise, Marvel Vs. Capcom has bombed ... Capcom cannot simply just end the portable MH series. It's the only reliable thing they have left. This PS4 "generation" has been miserable for Capcom.

Hm, ok. Well, i'm happy we can at least agree on that! I still think it's a possibility that there isn't a Switch game, Capcom is really dumb at times. But, let's hope there is! I just don't want the innovations of Worlds to be ignored. Quite honestly, it's looking to be my favorite game of 2018. It's very sad it will probably do 2-2.5 mil at best

Soundwave said:

Hm, ok. Well, i'm happy we can at least agree on that! I still think it's a possibility that there isn't a Switch game, Capcom is really dumb at times. But, let's hope there is! I just don't want the innovations of Worlds to be ignored. Quite honestly, it's looking to be my favorite game of 2018. It's very sad it will probably do 2-2.5 mil at best

You're talking WW or just Japan, because I really doubt MHW goes anywhere past 1-1.5 mill in Japan. 

Dragon Quest XI on PS4 is only at 1.3 mill, the best selling MH games on PS2 were 800k or so IIRC. MH Tri on Wii in Japan barely clawed itself to 1 million, and that was mainly because of massive discounts on the game. 

Soundwave said:

You're talking WW or just Japan, because I really doubt MHW goes anywhere past 1-1.5 mill in Japan. 

Dragon Quest XI on PS4 is only at 1.3 mill, the best selling MH games on PS2 were 800k or so IIRC. MH Tri on Wii in Japan barely clawed itself to 1 million, and that was mainly because of massive discounts on the game. 

Worldwide unfortunately. I'm not stupid enough to think it'll do 2-2.5 mil in Japan. That's the best it can do optimistically in the entire world.

Soundwave said:

The reason why MHW isn't on the Switch is because the platform can't run on it with acceptable performance in it's current format ... (which is why MHW is on the X1 and not on the Switch but that's not to say that the Switch isn't going to get it's own game within the series) 

There are just AAA games on home consoles the Switch will never be able to touch ... 

Plus Monster Hunter has already most likely stopped being the 4M+ juggernaut that it used to be so going forward Nintendo won't be able to rely on it to move as much hardware as it used to in the past ...