By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 18th - 24th September 2017

outlawauron said:
Wyrdness said:

No MH3 was cancelled on PS3 because the PS3 was having its erratic early years and Capcom were put off by the development costs of HD.

Ah yes, so that's why every other major Capcom project continued on PS3/360. They were so scared off by the early years of the PS3, that they cancelled only one game in their catalog to reannounce it for a Nintendo platform while moving support of the same series to Nintendo platforms shortly after. I mean, I can understand concern over cost control, but at the time, the series was exploding and the MH team is huge. It doesn't matter what the platform is, the game has a huge budget. 

"It was a strategic decision set by the team and our Japanese management to address an emerging market on the Wii. At the time the decision was made, it was in reference to the Wii market in general, no particular sub-segement thereof." 
— Christian Svensson, Capcom’s Sr.Director of Strategic Planning and Research 

"I can’t discuss the localization issues at this time. As for the decision to bring it to the Wii, I think there were many. I think it’s fair to say that CJ wanted to bring one of its premier franchises (possibly THE premier franchise when you look at the Japanese market) to the broader audience that the Wii represents. At least, that’s one of many variables that pushed it in that direction." 
— Christian Svensson

Plus high costs

In Japan the PS3 got demolished by the Wii which made Capcom rethink things plus the development costs added to it, another thing is that the was never a PS3 prototype like you claimed earlier that's a lie the was only concept art. MH3 was only ever announced for PS3 but no game development ever took place outside of concept art.

Essentially eveything you claimed about MH3 is a fabrication on your part as no deal was ever done for it this was straight up Capcom changing their mind because of the situation, MH3 was announced for Wii  in Ocotober 2007 the first year of the Wii and PS3 to futher my point notice how other PS3 games Capcom had that had development started on them were all originally going to be PS3 only but suddenly had 360 versions pop up most famously was DMC4 which triggered that famous petition by certain PS fans to have the 360 version cancelled. This highlighted the impact the PS3's early problems had.

Around the Network

#teambullylawlight

Seriously if anything lawlight bullies us xD

Kerotan said:
Lawlight said:

Because I didn't see it. But it also doesn't make sense. Because it ignores the fact that most people don't always buy new games at release. Others are still playing their old games. And even more so, half the PS4 userbase gets free games every month. And with the PS store sales, you'd be silly to think that games will sell on average more now than when the library was much smaller.

That's actually so true.  From the last few months the free ps plus games alone would keep you busy.  Hell we just got MGSV the phantom pain for free.  That's a huge time sink. 

MGSV is the reason MvCI bombed...... What was capcom thinking when releasing the game in sept!

Edit: if its this kind of excuse for games to get a pass then you should stop calling certain nintendo games flops. I mean MHXX obviously didnt do 1mil on switch because splat2/mk8d/zelda/minecraft/etc!

Point is you come across at only acknowledging sony games not bombing (and make excuses for them) yet are real quick to call something nintendo related a flop. Ex of MHW under performing (if it does) you said its ok because they'll reuse assets and profit from it on a G version! (Despite if it hits under capcoms expectations

Double edit: capcom is expecting 2mil for MvCI, itll hit what 500k WW and most will be on store shelves. But its ok because of hundreds and hundreds of "big games" that came out for ps4 and psn free MGSV

tbone51 said:
Kerotan said:

That's actually so true.  From the last few months the free ps plus games alone would keep you busy.  Hell we just got MGSV the phantom pain for free.  That's a huge time sink. 

MGSV is the reason MvCI bombed...... What was capcom thinking when releasing the game in sept!

Edit: if its this kind of excuse for games to get a pass then you should stop calling certain nintendo games flops. I mean MHXX obviously didnt do 1mil on switch because splat2/mk8d/zelda/minecraft/etc!

Point is you come across at only acknowledging sony games not bombing (and make excuses for them) yet are real quick to call something nintendo related a flop. Ex of MHW under performing (if it does) you said its ok because they'll reuse assets and profit from it on a G version! (Despite if it hits under capcoms expectations

Double edit: capcom is expecting 2mil for MvCI, itll hit what 500k WW and most will be on store shelves. But its ok because of hundreds and hundreds of "big games" that came out for ps4 and psn free MGSV

This!!!!!! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Kerotan said:
Nautilus said:

First of all what Im talking about a franchise which is about as easy to predict its sucess on a hybrid system as MH.MHW would sell gangbusters on the Switch.DW 9 is not a garantee by any means, and its developed by another company(Koei), which already has a mosuo game comming to the Switch that has a higher chance to appeal to that audience than DW 9(Which would be FE Warriors).

For DQ XI, its most likely because they already have the 3DS version as the portable option, so there wouldnt be the need to rush its release, for as much as this sucks.That in turns would maximize sales, because then you would have the pS4 version on a portable system some months later, which would make the 3DS owners double dip, instead of just jumping to the Switch version instead(My guess obviously).But even then, this goes against the first point you brought up, since DQ XI for Switch was announced before these versions released, and as far as I can see, it didnt canabilize the sales of these said versions.The same could be said for MHW(even though i actually agree with you that this way they will sell more, as shitty as this sounds).

And its not me that thinks porting is easy.Its the countless developers that make actual games that have said so.Of course that easy is relative, since it still take months to bring over the game, depending how big and ambitious said game is, but its nowhere near like bringing to the Wii U( a game it can handle).

How would it sell gangbusters if the Switch can't even get in sufficient stock?  Imagine MHW was releasing exclusively for Switch in Japan.  The lines would be going all the way over to Europe and back again.  They're better off waiting a year at least and releasing their first next gen MH when it has a bigger install base. 

Well, I was assuming that, since MH is launching in January(If Im not mistaken), there would have been the holidays, which depending on how much Nintendo manages to produce, it could have brought the numbers of consoles sold in Japan up to 3 millions, maybe a bit more(Its already closing in to 2 millions, so its not far fetched).And since the game itself would move hardware as well, you could be seeing an install base that, while still not as big as PS4, could very well be a significant install base to consider.And to have a meaty FW.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Switch sales are about to get crazy this holiday season as long as Nintendo can keep the production going full speed.

Sorry factory workers no days off for you the rest of the year. 

Kerotan said:
IkePoR said:

It doesn't matter what you believe to be a "de facto" console mate.   Their games aren't selling there.  Any company who cares about profit, especially ones in collar tugging straits like Capcom, will draw back support.

The games that sold badly did so at the fault of capcom not the ps4. Resident Evil 7 sold pretty well for what it was and MHW will probably sell decent too.  Make good games,  get good sales. 

Stop taking it so personal, Playstation is the whipping boy in this conversation.  I'm not attacking your precious, the console is simply the variable.  

And I've got news for you - that isn't how shareholders see things.  They don't give a shit about which games are good; they want to know where their invesnt ment went and where the return is.

After throwing a bunch of shit at the wall to see what would stick, Capcom's had one - one hit on PS4 and that's RE7, which as a series it's sales are down.   Like many have said, of course you don't withdraw completely from a 60M base, but I can guarantee you a "re-approach method" is being discussed after another huge flop in MvC:I.  Let's not even get into how badly Dead Rising 4 is going to fare.  

As Rol has said, Capcom has the personality of a whore and sells itself to the highest bidder.  But the outcome of the deals with both Microsoft and Sony have failed miserably.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

FloatingWaffles said:
Valdath said:

If there was a deal, does that make Nintendo shady too?

If Sony actually bought exclusivity for Japan i think it was a good move, it will help to sell tons of PS4s.

If Nintendo had a deal during the 3ds and MH3/4/X era, that was probably one of the most genius and savage moves ever done, that deal almost single handedly killed their competition in the handheld market.

I think we are underestimating just how greedy Capcom can actually be, maybe Sony bought exclusivity, or Capcom just want PS4/Switch owners to double dip.

"oh it's not coming to the Switch? Might as well get it on PS4"

Then, 3 months later, they release MHW on the Switch too, and many buy it again for portability.

And them Capcom releases MHW Ultimate with G rank 6 months later instead of selling it as DLC like a normal company would do.

Well to be fair, if there was a deal between Nintendo for Monster Hunter exclusivity on 3DS, they payed for it to be full exclusive to their system only. Where as if the rumor is true, Sony just paid to keep the game off of one single platform but being fine with it on another (Xbox). That's sort of a big difference there which is why i'm saying that's shady as hell for Sony to do if it were true.

Also yeah Capcom is greedy as hell, I already mentioned that earlier in this thread as well. 

The thing is though that while maybe it would be a good move business-wise for Sony, getting Japan-exclusive Monster Hunter on PS4, for Capcom it's not a good deal because they just alienated their existing playerbase that made it what it was already and it's shitty for the fans who love the series too and played it on 3DS and now went to Switch. But of course with this being Capcom they immediately went for whoever gave money instead of thinking of a good business decision that appeased both ends. Yes they released Monster Hunter XX on Switch but only in Japan, they won't even localize it for the rest of the world yet. (Probably because if the rumor is true then they don't want that to release near when MHW does too). 

Sony I'm sure wanted full exclusivity if they did do a deal, but this was the best they could do. This was before Switch was released, so Capcom doesn't know how it will do, so it's not out of the box that they could make an exclusivity deal with Sony in Japan for MHW. The PS4 has lackluster sales in Japan compared to succesful consoles, but its still a sizable chunk. Switch could be another Wii U for all Capcom knows.

But Capcom has been for years now trying ot get MH to be succesful WW. THUS why they probably would not let Sony go full exclusive. Or at least at a price sony was willing to pay.

That's my guess anyway. Sony was only willing to pay enough for Japan exclusive. Capcom wanted too much to be full exclusive cause they are really wanting to push MH worlwide and make popular. The One X has a sizable userbase worldwide. They want to get more people addicted to the game and become fans.

sethnintendo said:

Switch sales are about to get crazy this holiday season as long as Nintendo can keep the production going full speed.

Sorry factory workers no days off for you the rest of the year. 

Them poor robots :( 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Soundwave said:

Yeah and MH Tri on Wii had better graphics, bigger budget, and all that jazz over the PSP line. 75%+ of the MH fanbase in Japan said "nope" to MH Tri on Wii.

I'm just saying in terms of sales ... Japan giveth zero fucks about that. 

The next "mainline" MH for the Japanese market is the one that arrives on Switch. Even Capcom knows this, that's why they weaseled their way out of calling MHW Monster Hunter 5. 

Ok but i'm not arguing that. I'm just saying the next game should at least take the gameplay improvements from World and put it into "5" if there even is one. It doesn't even have to have a similar graphics style to World(although it would be very fucking cool to see those graphics on the Switch).

What gameplay improvement did Worlds add? I feel like I saw some gimicky grapling hook or something, but otherwise the only thing I saw that really looked different than what I experienced on MH Tri on teh Wii was no loadign screeens. That is huge imo, loading screens betweeen each area was insanely annoying and turned me hugely off the game, but that is hardly gameplay improvements. That is just a better game.