By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - I thought Orville was bad, but then...

Orville is fun and more Star Trek than STD. STD is just JJ trek. STD is pretty bad. I saw the first two episodes and it's just generic sci-fi and it's ignoring so much canon. It's bad enough the first scene it has them violating the prime directive. The intro sucks with a forgettable theme. STD has bad writing and dumb characters. The main character is literally the worst.Also, when did the Vulcans get the ability to talk to others through space? WTF. Why does the tech look better than TNG?The hologram stuff...actual trek didn't use it that way until Sisko on the Defiant.  Lastly, there is no reason to change the look of the Klingons. They again fucked with Canon. Glad this show will be canceled soon.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
TallSilhouette said:

1. It's a CBS production, just licensed to Netflix internationally.

2. Are you implying Netflix originals are bad?...

Absolutely!

House of Cards? Stranger Things? Master of None? Okja? Narcos? The Keepers? Beasts of No Nation? Kimmy Schmidt? Lemony Snicket? Bojack Horseman? The Crown? Jessica Jones? Daredevil? Glow? Making a Murderer? Orange is the New Black? 13th? Seriously?

Ka-pi96 said:
Chris Hu said:
Still haven't actually watched a full episode of The Orville. But speaking of shows on CBS I thought the first episode of Young Sheldon was pretty good even though a lot of people didn't like it.

CBS? I thought it was a Netflix show? I mean, I'm looking at it on Netflix now and it literally says "Netflix original" on it

Agree on Young Sheldon though, I enjoyed it. Looking forward to when the series properly starts

Yeah, it kinda sucks that the next episode doesn't come on until November the 2nd.  I'm going to tune in to CBS next Monday anyway since I missed the first episode of Me, Myself and I gonna catch the second episode.  

Well, I'm enjoying it. It's just that I feel that some trekkies are over-critical with anything Star Trek-related. It happens in every famdom actually, so I guess that's normal.

Smartie900 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

CBS? I thought it was a Netflix show? I mean, I'm looking at it on Netflix now and it literally says "Netflix original" on it

Agree on Young Sheldon though, I enjoyed it. Looking forward to when the series properly starts

Discovery is only on Netflix in countries outside of the US. People in the US have to watch it through CBS

In Canada it's not on Netflix either, yet airs on Space channel.

Orville is fun 7/10, Discovery pilot was decent as a standalone movie 6/10, for trying to be star trek 4/10. (It had the original sound effects, it's something at least) I rather watch the Orville than Discovery atm, will watch both anyway.

Btw Netflix just raised its prices again :/ Now already CAD 14 a month if you want access to 4K stuff, because they added the option to download episodes. Why would I ever want to do that...

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:

Orville is fun and more Star Trek than STD. STD is just JJ trek. STD is pretty bad. I saw the first two episodes and it's just generic sci-fi and it's ignoring so much canon. It's bad enough the first scene it has them violating the prime directive. The intro sucks with a forgettable theme. STD has bad writing and dumb characters. The main character is literally the worst.Also, when did the Vulcans get the ability to talk to others through space? WTF. Why does the tech look better than TNG?The hologram stuff...actual trek didn't use it that way until Sisko on the Defiant.  Lastly, there is no reason to change the look of the Klingons. They again fucked with Canon. Glad this show will be canceled soon.

Yeah...Discovery is...well, quite justifiably, STD moniker worthy...it's just that bad. I'd say it's even worse than Jar Jar's movies.

Honestly, for me this was even bigger slap in the face then SG: Universe.

I actually plan to continue watching Orville now..eventually I hope I'll accept piss-poor casting and just enjoy it as sort of a fan-based production level Trek.

I haven't watched it and I don't plan to. Locking it behind a paywall just for that show killed any incentive I had for watching it.

The Orville's not that bad to me. I think it can work with a retool.

I watched the two episodes of Discovery, or the movie pilot (because that's what it really is), and I found it to be ok. Nothing great or memorable, but not bad either. But of course, I don't care about cannons or things like that, I treat shows individually, for what they are.

Also, I remember reading that tech would look better because... well, today's tech looks miles better than the "future" tech from the original series, so it makes sense to move goals forward to not look silly.

I haven't watched Orville yet.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

shikamaru317 said:

I haven't seen The Orville yet, but the trailer certainly looked better than Discovery's trailer. I watched 10 minutes or so of Discovery the other night when it premiered on CBS, it was better than I expected but still pretty meh. Will wait until all episodes of the first season are out before I use my 1 week free CBS All-Access trial to binge watch it.

There is some hope for us classic Star Trek fans at least, rumor has it that a 2nd new Star Trek series is in development by the director/writer of Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country and writer of The Voyage Home, 3 of the best Star Trek movies.

I keep reading rumblings about this, but I couldn't find any rumours on it.  Do you have any links or anything so I can see what's going on with it?