By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - L.A. Noire Switch Ver. to run 1080p docked, 720p handheld and more

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

While comparing the same game across both does give us an apples-to-apples example, I'd say it was clear even from launch that Switch was more capable hardware than PS3/360.

Right, but this really puts it in perspective. A game like Doom also shows limitations.

Games in practice is the best benchmark.

I still wouldn't call it technically impressive for Switch though, even at 1080p the game appears to be using the same assets as a system with 1/6th as much memory and a GPU much older and significantly less capable. 

Around the Network
Radek said:

It's also probably too late for GTA V Port with GTA Online for Switch, game just turned 4 years old.

I don't think GTA V port for Switch would make sense in 2017, but it's the last Rockstar game that would work on the system without big downgrades, as it's Rockstar last PS3/Xbox 360 game. A shame, portable GTA V in 720p and ps3 or above graphics? That would be nice, and 1080p docked.

Well, Skyrim is even older. ;)

curl-6 said:
Radek said:

It's also probably too late for GTA V Port with GTA Online for Switch, game just turned 4 years old.

I don't think GTA V port for Switch would make sense in 2017, but it's the last Rockstar game that would work on the system without big downgrades, as it's Rockstar last PS3/Xbox 360 game. A shame, portable GTA V in 720p and ps3 or above graphics? That would be nice, and 1080p docked.

So is L.A. Noire...

Radek said:
curl-6 said:

Truth, but Bethesda loves to milk Skyrim though.

As for Rockstar, they never really did remasters. Some would consider PS4, Xbox One and PC versions of GTA V remasters, but files related to code names of these consoles were found back when PS3 version released. Rockstar just wanted to cash in 2 months before current gen consoles came out, and / or they weren't ready for PS4 and Xbox One Port, with PC version arriving months later, upon many delays in April 2015.

I'm actually suprised about L.A. Noire "Remaster" and the fact they are giving Switch a chance, good for them.

But it's still first time Rockstar is remaking game that is over 2 years old, maybe they want to develop sequel to L.A. Noire themselves? Team Bondi closed years ago.

LA Noire does seem an odd choice, but given they were remastering it for PS4/Xbone anyway it was probably easy to just throw in a Switch port. That said, GTA 5 for Switch should definitely happen; I wouldn't touch it myself, but given it already runs on PS3/360 the amount of work needed to bring it over would be minimal, and as with Skyrim, being able to play it on the go would give it a certain novelty over other versions.

Radek said:
curl-6 said:

LA Noire does seem an odd choice, but given they were remastering it for PS4/Xbone anyway it was probably easy to just throw in a Switch port. That said, GTA 5 for Switch should definitely happen; I wouldn't touch it myself, but given it already runs on PS3/360 the amount of work needed to bring it over would be minimal, and as with Skyrim, being able to play it on the go would give it a certain novelty over other versions.

I know, I know. But 4 GB of ram? That seems troublesome. Rockstar abandoned PS3 and 360 Online updates in October of 2015 due to "technical limitations" like lack of ram. I know they have 512 MB, and PS4 and Xbox One have 5 GB for games, but would Switch handle the updates? GTA V on the Switch would have to include Online, cause Take-Two wouldn't allow otherwise, not to mention people raging about lackluster port.

PS3 Level visuals + all updates for Online and 1080p docked? Would be awesome. Will it happen? I doubt it. Nintendo also has to improve online, check the Eurogamer link I posted in my previous post.

I'm not saying it will definitely happen, but it's certainly possible. To use your example, FIFA may not have every feature of the PS34/Xbone versions, but it still came to Switch, same for Doom and Skyrim. 

Around the Network
Radek said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not saying it will definitely happen, but it's certainly possible. To use your example, FIFA may not be feature complete, but it still came to Switch, same for Doom and Skyrim. 

Online is too important, big and lucrative for the publisher not to include imo. That's one feature that can't be cut, graphics can, content can't.

I think Rockstar is focused on L.A. Noire for PS4, Xbox One and Switch and RDR 2 for PS4 and Xbox One next Spring.

Switch port could come as Single Player only game when GTA Online dies in few years imo, some remasters don't include multiplayer modes, but then again GTA Online is a huge moneymaker.

Let's just wait and see, hopefully people buy L.A. Noire on Switch. I'm curious to see how it looks in November.

Cut content is sometimes accepted; Snapmap in Doom for example.

To be honest, I don't expect LA Noire to light up the charts on Switch, simply because it was never on par with the likes of Skyrim or GTA 5 in popularity in the first place, and most Switch owners will probably be too busy with the likes of Mario Odyssey and the aforementioned Skyrim.

Mr Puggsly said:
gcwy said:

True, but I would think that's down to Switch having fewer multiplatform games in general, since it's a relatively new system. We should see games like Skyrim and LA Noire setting the standard.

Well I don't think it being a new system is relevant. I mean Wii U launched with some pretty notable 7th gen games. So we saw out the gate what the Wii U could essentially do.

With Switch though, there just hasn't been a lot of content to directly compare with 7th gen platforms. LA Noire on Switch confirms the Switch handle 7th gen content with relative ease.

We know what the Switch is capable of going by its theoretical performance. Switch is slightly more powerful more powerful than any of the last gen consoles (including Wii U) in handheld mode and significantly more powerful when docked. Switch is a very competent device, anything less than 1080p would've been surprising, is all I'm saying.

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Right, but this really puts it in perspective. A game like Doom also shows limitations.

Games in practice is the best benchmark.

I still wouldn't call it technically impressive for Switch though, even at 1080p the game appears to be using the same assets as a system with 1/6th as much memory and a GPU much older and significantly less capable. 

If it was a home console, I would agree. For a portable device though, its massive leap over 3DS and Vita.

The 3DS couldn't even deliver games equal PS2, although it had some superior effects. Yet the Switch is doing graphics beyond the PS360.

The Vita had a lot of RAM by the way, but the textures were at par with 6th gen. SO AGAIN, the specs on paper aren't always great in practice.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

If it was a home console, I would agree. For a portable device though, its massive leap over 3DS and Vita.

The 3DS couldn't even deliver games equal PS2, although it had some superior effects. Yet the Switch is doing graphics beyond the PS360.

The Vita had a lot of RAM by the way, but the textures were at par with 6th gen. SO AGAIN, the specs on paper aren't always great in practice.

Switch's RAM advantage isn't just evident on paper though, but also in practice. Vita was a different story; it had only a slim RAM advantage that was nullified by losing more of its memory to the OS, and a much weaker GPU than PS3/360. Switch by contrast has several times more memory and the additional GPU power to leverage it.

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Switch's RAM advantage isn't just evident on paper though, but also in practice. Vita was a different story; it had only a slim RAM advantage that was nullified by losing more of its memory to the OS, and a much weaker GPU than PS3/360. Switch by contrast has several times more memory and the additional GPU power to leverage it.

Much like Vita, its hard to tell what the console can really do unless we have techicnally demanding games to look at. The Vita had a bunch of 7th gen console games and that was a good benchmark to see what it can do side by side.

Outside of Nintendo content, this is where Switch has been lacking and its good to see the hardware being well utilized this early.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)