By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey file size

Wyrdness said:
Aeolus451 said:

They can still expand it without it costing a fortune. It's not exactly small as a iphone. Perhaps they can be little innovative on that front. All I'm saying is that 32 GB is not enough to play alot of 3rd party games on the NS and that will likely turn off 3rd party devs. It woudn't hurt for nintendo to create another sku to offset it. Doesn't nintendo offer more than one sku on their consoles? Then why are some of you so against the idea of a common sense fix. I'm not saying that nintendo should replace all sku with the upgraded option. 

The break down of the Switch shows the is no space in the device, you've offered no alternative way to increase storage with out significantly increasing costs yet still harp on about they can do it. Here's a news flash for you they've given owners an option for more storage it's called micro SD cards and they're cheaper than adding internal flash storage to the point you can buy one and the Switch for cheaper than if the Switch had more internal flash storage.

Fact is it's not being against more storage it's realizing the trade off for it you've refused to answer whether you'd pay 100-110 quid more for a Switch because you know you and most consumers wouldn't as it would be at an obscene price.

I don't need to offer any suggestions because that has nothing to do with my points and I never gave the impression that I would offer any suggestion. That's a just distraction. I only said that 32 gb of storage is not good enough for a 9th gen console when it can't play 7th gen games without needing a micro SD card just to play games. You don't know what it would cost for an SKU with better storage so stop pretending that you know specific costs. You don't lose shit with SKUs being available with better hardware so please stop being stubborn for the sake of it. Some of you said the same sort of thing when people said that the wii u lacked HD space and that it should offer SKUs with more storage. It's amazing the amount of resistance some of ya give over common sense features being suggested on a nintendo console.

Around the Network

If they can keep load times down im all for it.

flashfire926 said:
Wyrdness said:

The break down of the Switch shows the is no space in the device, you've offered no alternative way to increase storage with out significantly increasing costs yet still harp on about they can do it. Here's a news flash for you they've given owners an option for more storage it's called micro SD cards and they're cheaper than adding internal flash storage to the point you can buy one and the Switch for cheaper than if the Switch had more internal flash storage.

Fact is it's not being against more storage it's realizing the trade off for it you've refused to answer whether you'd pay 100-110 quid more for a Switch because you know you and most consumers wouldn't as it would be at an obscene price.

What do you mean "no space in the device"?

Micro SD fit ridiculous amounts of gigabytes, now approaching 512 gb, and you say the Switch flash storage can't be 64gb because of "no space"? And there is no way it adds more than $50 to the cost. Heck, by next year they can phase out 32 gb and sell 64 gb for $300. 

And unlike us, Nintendo mass buys the flash storage, so they get it at a much lower cost than us. Same goes for many other electronics companies.

All I was saying that 32 gb of storage wasn't enough hd space for playing even 7th gen 3rd party games without needing to buy a micro SD card to even play a game and that nintendo needs to offer SKUs with better storage then some of them started to get defensive over common sense saying they don't better SKUs.

Wyrdness said:
flashfire926 said:

Micro SD fit ridiculous amounts of gigabytes, now approaching 512 gb, and you say the Switch flash storage can't be 64gb because of "no space"? And there is no way it adds more than $50 to the cost. Heck, by next year they can phase out 32 gb and sell 64 gb for $300. 

And unlike us, Nintendo mass buys the flash storage, so they get it at a much lower cost than us. Same goes for many other electronics companies.

Are you even reading all the posts he's the one who brought up space and that was in regard to putting a HDD in the platform, it's like you looked at a few words and made up a post in your head, if 32GB isn't enough now then 64GB sure as hell won't be enough either he's talking about comparable space to other consoles which is 500GB minimum, to put things in perspective iPhones have 256GB at the moment and that contributes to them being 800 quid, these costs are based off the lower costs these companies get them for as well.

Oh okay, my bad there, guess I didn't get the whole context. Adding HDD sounds ridiculous lol.

But to your last point, phone manufacturers are a completely different beast. Let's take the IPhone 6 and 6s for example. The entry level iphone 6  and 6s was a paltry 16gb. This was done on purpose so many people would have to spend the extra hundred dollars (around 80 quid) to get the 64gb option. Why? Because the extra 48gb storage costs apple nothing ($20 dollars at most), while giving them a boatload of extra profit. It's a common misconception that the extra storage costs the full $100 apple. That's why they don't put a microSD card slot in there, cause they will miss out on all that money. When everyone gets the cheapest option. 

A more indicative example of how much extra storage costs apple is the newly announced apple TV 4k. 32gb is priced at $179, while 64gb is priced at $199. That 32 gb extra probably costs apple just around $5 in 2017. That close pricing of the two variants will nudge 95% of people to get 64 gb, giving apple the extra profit there as well. Smart (but admittedly shady) business if you ask me. 

Edit: also, I respectfully disagree that 64 gb isn't enough. Sure, it isn't enough for gaming enthusiasts like us, but it's probably enough for 95% of Switch customers who won't play a boatload of games on the system, and many of whom will buy their games physically. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Just downloaded Metro Last Light and it is about the same. Of course Metro has a ton of Voice Acting and cutscenes so it isn't that comparable.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:

I don't need to offer any suggestions because that has nothing to do with my points and I never gave the impression that I would offer any suggestion. That's a just distraction. I only said that 32 gb of storage is not good enough for a 9th gen console when it can't play 7th gen games without needing a micro SD card just to play games. You don't know what it would cost for an SKU with better storage so stop pretending that you know specific costs. You don't lose shit with SKUs being available with better hardware so please stop being stubborn for the sake of it. Some of you said the same sort of thing when people said that the wii u lacked HD space and that it should offer SKUs with more storage. It's amazing the amount of resistance some of ya give over common sense features being suggested on a nintendo console.

Actually you do need to offer suggestions because your argument hinges on it being possible otherwise you're accepting that stance has a glaring hole in it, Wii U also didn't have mandatory installs and had the option for external HDDs up to 3TB. We do know what it can cost because similar portable devices have high prices as a result of the same components right now it's not me being stubborn it's you being defeated and trying to side step what you have no response to and I'll keep highlighting it while you try to keep up this little notion.

The irony of your common sense argument is that it's better to use universal micro sd cards like Miyamoto said then jack up the costs and battle Apple, Samsung etc... for the same components. The cards are easy to find, cheap and drop in price quicker and it removes the need for SKUs adding to consumer confusion, for reference someone else was suggesting 64GB adds about 50 quid more to the price a 32GB MSD costs 10 quid giving you 64GB for 40 quid less than if it was included.

Aeolus451 said:
flashfire926 said:

All I was saying that 32 gb of storage wasn't enough hd space for playing even 7th gen 3rd party games without needing to buy a micro SD card to even play a game and that nintendo needs to offer SKUs with better storage then some of them started to get defensive over common sense saying they don't better SKUs.

I agree with you. I love my Switch, but I'm just not willing to defend 32 gb. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

sub-zero-TM said:
Nautilus said:
That wizardry

Well it looks like a Ps3 1080p game :P 

I'd have to disagree there, I think it looks comfortably better than anything on PS3/360, it just looks more polished with higher quality lighting, effects, etc. That's more to do with the system's GPU/RAM than file size though.

Well if we go back to the time when 16GB started to be the base model, 64GB microsd cards cost around the same as a 128 right now. And the difference is around 80 dollars.
Considering that internal memory is more expensive than an sd card, even with manufacter discounts thats still at least 50 quid.
There is also the fact that if ninty used 64GB that would be 10$ more, or in other words, thier profit margins and then some, gone. And ninty does not sell consoles at a loss for good reason (imagine how much worse the wii U flop would have been if they did...)

Panama said:
If they can keep load times down im all for it.

That's the big question. Rayman legends on Switch is only 2.9 GB download, but has the worst load times of all its versions. DF suspects it's because the assets are stored compressed on the cartridge and need to be unpacked in real time while playing the game. Hopefully Mario Oddysee won't make you wait 15 seconds every time you die.