By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One demand will surpass supply (Poll included)

How much of an impact will these factors have on demand?

None at all 214 50.23%

A minimal impact 156 36.62%

A significant impact 33 7.75%

A major impact 23 5.40%

Total:426

Are you a relative of JohnLucas? Ridiculous predictions run in his family.

Around the Network

I honestly don't see XB1 passing PS4 even in the US. As it stands, MS's less than stellar lineup has made the console average at barely 100K a month in NPD throughout this year. X1X is going to sell very well to the Xbox devoted, but it's not going to attract a whole lot of new users. It's going to sell less than XB1S, no doubt. Plus, if we've learned anything from the 360, it's never underestimate the power of third party marketing. As it stands, Sony has the majority of the strongest through the holidays, as well as more into the first half of next year. With God of War and Spider-Man around the corner, PS4 is guaranteed to do killer numbers well into next fall.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

With 4k booming i wont be suprised it does better than i am expecting. Gamers forget PS2 and PS3 came out the gates very expensive. Price isnt the issue with the X. In fact its priced quite well. Considering last gen we would pay similar for a slim model version with no benefits to the hardware at all. The industry will look at the X as the lastest Slim machine and over time as the price reduces it will sell even better due to its value.

If the OP is correct about lots of bundling with 4k TVs, that would help a lot. Plus, the holiday season is typically very good for MS relative to Sony. If PUBG also hit before Xmas, that would be huge. Of course, PUBG won't hit until next year, and I doubt TV bundles will sell millions of consoles. So, I don't think we'll much more than the usual MS holiday bump. It may be a slightly better bump than usual, but still just a bump. Even in the absolute best case scenario, XB1 will not overtake PS4 in the US. At the very most, it would outsell PS4 for 2017.

flashfire926 said:
You know what? Screw the naysayers, I agree that in NA, XB1 sales will surpass ps4 sales eventually. LMAO at the people calling this impossible,the gap isn't as big in America as you think it is. But I will admit that it can't catch up this year, but it could close the gap a bit in the holiday months.

With a five hundred dollar console? If MS isn't talking about aggressively dropping the price (they will), this is really a fantasy at this point. There's not much of a compelling exclusive lineup coming to justify the purchase of Xbox platforms for 2017-2018 unless MS hijacks EVERY popular Steam game, but that's not going to translate to instant console success. It's mainly for those that went through the past 4 years of hurt feelings instead of playing games. The majority of these, like the S, will be people replacing their consoles, not new customers. It'll do great at first, but I don't see it having legs.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
flashfire926 said:

How is pubg targeting the hardcore market? It's basically turning into the next big thing.

Well, it's not targeting me in the slightest, nor my kids, or my wife... What is the universal appeal of PUBG? It will find a place next to CoD, Fifa/Pes and Battlefield, but it's no Minecraft or GTA.

So you're saying cod/fifa is for hardcore gamers.....lol. Again, just cause somethimg doesn't appeal to you doesnt mean it can't be mainstream. Just cause the recent cod games don't interest me in the slightest, doesn't mean that they aren't still popular, consistently being the bestselling game of each year.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

RJ_Sizzle said:
flashfire926 said:
You know what? Screw the naysayers, I agree that in NA, XB1 sales will surpass ps4 sales eventually. LMAO at the people calling this impossible,the gap isn't as big in America as you think it is. But I will admit that it can't catch up this year, but it could close the gap a bit in the holiday months.

With a five hundred dollar console? If MS isn't talking about aggressively dropping the price (they will), this is really a fantasy at this point. There's not much of a compelling exclusive lineup coming to justify the purchase of Xbox platforms for 2017-2018 unless MS hijacks EVERY popular Steam game, but that's not going to translate to instant console success. It's mainly for those that went through the past 4 years of hurt feelings instead of playing games. The majority of these, like the S, will be people replacing their consoles, not new customers. It'll do great at first, but I don't see it having legs.

Great response. Now all we can do wait and watch to see what happens.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Barkley said:

Xbox One X will equally not be a giant factor when it comes to recovering Xbox One sales, it's a premium product. 20% of PS4 sales are the Pro, and that's a device that's 48% more expensive then the PS4, while the X is literally twice the price of the S. The market for expensive more powerful consoles isn't big enough to be anything more then a supplement.

Whilst accurate... One thing to keep in mind is that the base Playstation 4 was still selling stupidly well.

The Xbox One S isn't. So it wouldn't be hard to imagine for the Xbox One X to have a more favourable sales ratio... But it is unlikely to be a game changer due to overall higher costs anyway.

JRPGfan said:

PC users enjoy differnt things than console users.... a game like CS-GO is pretty popular on the pc, but would it sell well on a console?

Its way to early to assume PUBG will get 10m on the xbox platform alone, or turn things around for xbox.

Counterstrike never sold well on console. Well. Not as well as PC. Being an eSport kept it selling on PC.

PUBG is getting allot of attention... If Microsoft can secure it as an exclusive... It might give them a slight push.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I doubt pubg will do much. Most console players aren't even aware of it. Most console players are playing or waiting for destiny 2, cod ww2, Star Wars battlefront 2, and whatever other big third party multiplat game this holiday.

Second, the S has been on a downward decline all year, I don't see how X will help any at $500 with no real exclusives.

Third, Sony has exclusive marketing for all the year's biggest third party games. Slightly better resolution isn't gonna help much at this point in the generation. We're only a couple years or so from next gen hardware.

Fourth, even by some miracle they overtake Sony in the us, however unbelievable that sounds, by January PS4 will be around 70-71m sold WW next to Xbox 1's 33-34 m. Nearly a 40m unit gap.

JRPGfan said:
DroidKnight said:

I also foresee Xbox One sales surpassing the PS4 sales for the United States before the end of 2018.

.... theres like a 3m gap? and its just growing and growing.

I dont see Xbox One closeing the gap, the XOX hasnt suddenly made xbox a more popular or selling brand.

Exclusive wise things still look dire for the xbox, both in 2017 and 2018 vs the PS4.

Reminds me of Nintendoom stuff.  "They'd have to completely stop making money for 17 years before going bankrupt"

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"