By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Nintendo makes the video game industry look good

Onyxmeth said:
Johann said:
Onyxmeth said:
While the gameplay of Nintendo branded games are mature I have to say there is one avenue that Nintendo needs to improve upon to be seen as a mature gaming machine, and that's the story. Many Nintendo games have empty shells of a story, with the only notable Nintendo developer even trying being Intelligent Systems, and I commend them for it. How much further is Nintendo gaming to be stuck in that 8-bit "story doesn't matter" mentality when we've come to a time where benchmarks of storytelling like Mass Effect and Bioshock are pushing where stories can head to and Nintendo is just now trying out voice acting. That's a 10 year old experiment for most developers that have shown what voices can do to enhance story and here's Nintendo yet again bringing up the rear when they're not the one to innovate. That always seems to be Nintendo's mantra, either first to the table or arriving during dessert with little in between.

I completely disagree. If anything, Nintendo has been putting more dialog in their games since the 8-bit era as a result of influence from other game companies doing so.

I realy hate it when I see any dialog in a Nintendo game. I don't care about the plot, just give me the game already!

Well I'm happy that you spit in the way of progress. It would have been so great for Mass Effect to just forget about the plot and just give us the game already. Same thing with Bioshock. Forget about why you're rummaging around an underwater city, and why these people are so hostile, and why you need to kill little girls accompanied by odd, walking submarine men, let's just shoot stuff.

That's not what I meant. I said I didn't like storylines in Nintendo games. My favorite genre is RPGs (JRPGs, actually). I loved Mass Effect and Bioshock and their plots.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Around the Network
cwbys21 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Onyxmeth said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Bah I don't see whats "fun" about pressing the same button combos over and over until whatever you're attacking is dead...
You must be playing God of War on Easy. Try pressing the same buttons on Hard Mode or even better, God Mode and see how far you get button mashing.

It's still the same crap you button press roll to dodge, button press, magic, etc it's just so boring...

Then I guess you can catagorize Mario as just pressing the jump button over and over and over and over and over again.  I guess that game is just to boring and has flopped for 20 years now.

Mario is a totally different genre... Mario is about platforming, you're actually fighting the stage itself and not the enemies, the enemies are there to add extra obsticles to get in your way, an action game should be more about intelligent fighting, while platforming should be more about intelligent level design, so no you can't compare button mashing in an action game to jumping in a platformer, cause button mashing in a action game means the devs didn't care to put enough thought into the fighting so you wouldn't be able to button mash to win (on any difficulty).  Platforming is all about getting to the end of the stage or exploring to achieve an objective, and how the stage is built to keep you from doing so is how you judge that game, any way you can't button mash in Mario when you have to time jumps and attacks.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Edit: ^There is a fair amount of platforming and puzzles in the God of War games, but I guess you can just button mash your way through that.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Onyxmeth said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Bah I don't see whats "fun" about pressing the same button combos over and over until whatever you're attacking is dead...
You must be playing God of War on Easy. Try pressing the same buttons on Hard Mode or even better, God Mode and see how far you get button mashing.

It's still the same crap you button press roll to dodge, button press, magic, etc it's just so boring... 

So it is because you press buttons to play it?  (dodging is the analog stick btw [not sure about the PSP version])  So were all games boring before before the wiimote (power glove, pseye, etc not withstanding)?  Granted the same arguments can be made against that.  If you at least reserved the criticisms to quick time events it might make sense.

As for the mythology being incorrect, I meant the mythology of the game.  Kratos is a ruthless warrior and is perceived to be monster by most people he meets in the game.  It wouldn't make sense for him not to be brutal.

Game_boy said:
Onyxmeth said:
Johann said:

I completely disagree. If anything, Nintendo has been putting more dialog in their games since the 8-bit era as a result of influence from other game companies doing so.

I realy hate it when I see any dialog in a Nintendo game. I don't care about the plot, just give me the game already!

Well I'm happy that you spit in the way of progress. It would have been so great for Mass Effect to just forget about the plot and just give us the game already. Same thing with Bioshock. Forget about why you're rummaging around an underwater city, and why these people are so hostile, and why you need to kill little girls accompanied by odd, walking submarine men, let's just shoot stuff.

That is why they make those games for you, and one of the reason why we would not buy Bioshock or Mass Effect. Get your text out of my games, especially Metroid.

That's what I'm talking about. The plot in a metroid game means absolutely nothing. It just keeps you from the game and it's annoying. Some games don't need a story because they are all about the gameplay.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Yes, Nintendo creates excellent content that doesn't require violence and swearing. It's made for everyone, not just a select few, and the thing is, it's stuff is still mostly better to the target audience of the more adult games, than the more adult games are, with few exceptions.

Quality with responsibility.

You're never going to see a negative news story about Wii-Voice Chat, or the latest Zelda game being a murder simulator.

Definately good for the industry, from a legislative perspective.

Also, if governments ever do put sanctions on violent video games, Nintendo is unlikely to be affected.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:

Edit: ^There is a fair amount of platforming and puzzles in the God of War games, but I guess you can just button mash your way through that.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Onyxmeth said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

So it is because you press buttons to play it?  (dodging is the analog stick btw [not sure about the PSP version])  So were all games boring before before the wiimote (power glove, pseye, etc not withstanding)?  Granted the same arguments can be made against that.  If you at least reserved the criticisms to quick time events it might make sense.

As for the mythology being incorrect, I meant the mythology of the game.  Kratos is a ruthless warrior and is perceived to be monster by most people he meets in the game.  It wouldn't make sense for him not to be brutal.

I wasn't meaning pressing the button itselfisn't fun I'm meaning the unintelligent system isn't fun, there's not a whole lot of strategy to the battle system, and not having that is not fun in an action game.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
cwbys21 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Onyxmeth said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Then I guess you can catagorize Mario as just pressing the jump button over and over and over and over and over again. I guess that game is just to boring and has flopped for 20 years now.

Mario is a totally different genre... Mario is about platforming, you're actually fighting the stage itself and not the enemies, the enemies are there to add extra obsticles to get in your way, an action game should be more about intelligent fighting, while platforming should be more about intelligent level design, so no you can't compare button mashing in an action game to jumping in a platformer, cause button mashing in a action game means the devs didn't care to put enough thought into the fighting so you wouldn't be able to button mash to win (on any difficulty). Platforming is all about getting to the end of the stage or exploring to achieve an objective, and how the stage is built to keep you from doing so is how you judge that game, any way you can't button mash in Mario when you have to time jumps and attacks.

button mashing will get you to the end of any game on easy mode, and sometimes normal mode, because they are designed to be easy, imagine that.  If you want to beat God of War on a tougher difficulty you can't button mash, period.  You HAVE to work combos between light attacks, power attacks, magic, evasion and blocking.  And like Yakuzaice said, there is a lot of puzzle solving and platforming in God of War.

Johann said:
Game_boy said:
Onyxmeth said:
Johann said:

That is why they make those games for you, and one of the reason why we would not buy Bioshock or Mass Effect. Get your text out of my games, especially Metroid.

That's what I'm talking about. The plot in a metroid game means absolutely nothing. It just keeps you from the game and it's annoying. Some games don't need a story because they are all about the gameplay.

I'm not talking about games like Metroid, Mario, etc. where they were bred out of the 8-bit era when stories could be entirely scratched onto a napkin. Obviously pasting a story onto Mario at this point would be futile. I mean Nintendo continues to make series that offer little in the way of story. In the N64 era, Rare made the story driven games for Nintendo. In the Gamecube era, Eternal Darkness was the heaviest story and was developed externally by Silicon Knights. Outside of Intelligent Systems, whom I feel do a fantastic job at times of merging great gameplay and enticing story-telling, where does Nintendo even make an effort? I cry every time I play another Zelda game with a painted on story to accompany it.

As far as Game Boy: you hate Microsoft thus I wouldn't expect you to like Bioshock or Mass Effect out of blind hatred. Your name alon shows me I shouldn't expect a fair shake of an opinion out of you regarding anything Nintendo. Leave it be.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
Baddman said:
Onyxmeth said:
While the gameplay of Nintendo branded games are mature I have to say there is one avenue that Nintendo needs to improve upon to be seen as a mature gaming machine, and that's the story. Many Nintendo games have empty shells of a story, with the only notable Nintendo developer even trying being Intelligent Systems, and I commend them for it. How much further is Nintendo gaming to be stuck in that 8-bit "story doesn't matter" mentality when we've come to a time where benchmarks of storytelling like Mass Effect and Bioshock are pushing where stories can head to and Nintendo is just now trying out voice acting. That's a 10 year old experiment for most developers that have shown what voices can do to enhance story and here's Nintendo yet again bringing up the rear when they're not the one to innovate. That always seems to be Nintendo's mantra, either first to the table or arriving during dessert with little in between.

i know its just one but didnt nintendo do voice acting in starfox 64?

Star Fox is the only series they've been consistent in delivering voice acting and it was monumentally helped by it in my mind, minus Slippy of course. It added so much to the on-going battles that scrolling text never would have equaled.

Super Smash Bros Melee, F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn have voice acting, although it might not be consistent (maybe besides Fire Emblem since FE: PoR is the first FE to be released on a console machine that can handle 3d, I think) Also Nintendo immediately created Wiiware after new games were able to be downloaded on other systems, so I'm not really sure about that last statement either.

Hi guys!

Brawl FC: 2106-1814-5245

Nintendo does top-AAA+ stuff for everyone