By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Nintendo makes the video game industry look good

Onyxmeth said:

As far as Game Boy: you hate Microsoft thus I wouldn't expect you to like Bioshock or Mass Effect out of blind hatred. Your name alon shows me I shouldn't expect a fair shake of an opinion out of you regarding anything Nintendo. Leave it be.

You're absolutely right. I don't have the right to criticise Bioshock or Mass Effect, because I am not their intended audience. You also do not have the right to criticise the policy decisions of Nintendo, because you are not their intended audience.

I don't hate inanimate objects like games. I resent the policy decisions of Microsoft employees.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Around the Network
guild525 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Baddman said:
Onyxmeth said:
While the gameplay of Nintendo branded games are mature I have to say there is one avenue that Nintendo needs to improve upon to be seen as a mature gaming machine, and that's the story. Many Nintendo games have empty shells of a story, with the only notable Nintendo developer even trying being Intelligent Systems, and I commend them for it. How much further is Nintendo gaming to be stuck in that 8-bit "story doesn't matter" mentality when we've come to a time where benchmarks of storytelling like Mass Effect and Bioshock are pushing where stories can head to and Nintendo is just now trying out voice acting. That's a 10 year old experiment for most developers that have shown what voices can do to enhance story and here's Nintendo yet again bringing up the rear when they're not the one to innovate. That always seems to be Nintendo's mantra, either first to the table or arriving during dessert with little in between.

i know its just one but didnt nintendo do voice acting in starfox 64?

Star Fox is the only series they've been consistent in delivering voice acting and it was monumentally helped by it in my mind, minus Slippy of course. It added so much to the on-going battles that scrolling text never would have equaled.

Super Smash Bros Melee, F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn have voice acting, although it might not be consistent (maybe besides Fire Emblem since FE: PoR is the first FE to be released on a console machine that can handle 3d, I think) Also Nintendo immediately created Wiiware after new games were able to be downloaded on other systems, so I'm not really sure about that last statement either.

Hi guys!

Super Smash Bros. Melee(2002)
F-Zero GX(2003)
Voice acting in games(Early-90s)

I already mentioned that Intelligent Systems was an exception to the Nintendo rule, and they're the developers of the Fire Emblem, Advance Wars and Paper Mario series, which are in my opinion the top 3 Nintendo franchises story-wise. Coincidence? Nope.

As far as Wii-Ware how is Nintendo not last? Sony and Microsoft had theirs up since day one same as their online and Nintendo brought up the rear. Considering how online console gaming was started with Sega last gen and followed by Microsoft and then Sony last gen, it's sorta sad to see Nintendo still not have a well functioning online system in 2008. Sony's service is as free as Nintendo's but leans a lot more towards the quality of Xbox Live than Wii Connect 24(or whatever Nintendo calls their online). 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Game_boy said:
Onyxmeth said:

As far as Game Boy: you hate Microsoft thus I wouldn't expect you to like Bioshock or Mass Effect out of blind hatred. Your name alon shows me I shouldn't expect a fair shake of an opinion out of you regarding anything Nintendo. Leave it be.

You're absolutely right. I don't have the right to criticise Bioshock or Mass Effect, because I am not their intended audience. You also do not have the right to criticise the policy decisions of Nintendo, because you are not their intended audience.

I don't hate inanimate objects like games. I resent the policy decisions of Microsoft employees.

What are you talking about? I love Nintendo games. Advance Wars 2 is on my short-list of favorite games ever as is Super Mario Land 2. Intelligent Systems is one of my favorite developers ever on top of that. Just because I expect something more out of Nintendo doesn't make me less of a fan. Just because I'm not their Wii Play audience does not mean I'm not Nintendo's audience.

Stories in some of their games would vastly improve them, and I mean well-planned, well executed stories. The Legend of Zelda does such a poor job of telling a cohesive story game to game that fans are trying to piece together some insane multiple timeline story to try and connect them and Shigeru is forced to lie to fans that he has some document that shows the storyarch of the series.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

i completely agree. who says games cant be fun without brutally murdering other people?

the nintendo wii will outsell the ps3 and the 360 combined by the end of 2008.                           

PS3 will out sell the 360 june 2010.                                                                      

GOTY of 2008 is super smash brothers brawl.... hopefully.

END OF 08 PREDICTIONS:

Wii: 45 million         xbox360: 26 million       PS3: 19 million (made beginning of 08)

wii: 44 million         xbox 360: 24 million      PS3: 21 million (made june 08)

wii code: 8094-5344-2140-1400

brawl code: 5412-9565-3232   

Onyxmeth said:
guild525 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Baddman said:
Onyxmeth said:
While the gameplay of Nintendo branded games are mature I have to say there is one avenue that Nintendo needs to improve upon to be seen as a mature gaming machine, and that's the story. Many Nintendo games have empty shells of a story, with the only notable Nintendo developer even trying being Intelligent Systems, and I commend them for it. How much further is Nintendo gaming to be stuck in that 8-bit "story doesn't matter" mentality when we've come to a time where benchmarks of storytelling like Mass Effect and Bioshock are pushing where stories can head to and Nintendo is just now trying out voice acting. That's a 10 year old experiment for most developers that have shown what voices can do to enhance story and here's Nintendo yet again bringing up the rear when they're not the one to innovate. That always seems to be Nintendo's mantra, either first to the table or arriving during dessert with little in between.

i know its just one but didnt nintendo do voice acting in starfox 64?

Star Fox is the only series they've been consistent in delivering voice acting and it was monumentally helped by it in my mind, minus Slippy of course. It added so much to the on-going battles that scrolling text never would have equaled.

Super Smash Bros Melee, F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn have voice acting, although it might not be consistent (maybe besides Fire Emblem since FE: PoR is the first FE to be released on a console machine that can handle 3d, I think) Also Nintendo immediately created Wiiware after new games were able to be downloaded on other systems, so I'm not really sure about that last statement either.

Hi guys!

F-Zero GX(2003)

I already mentioned that Intelligent Systems was an exception to the Nintendo rule, and they're the developers of the Fire Emblem, Advance Wars and Paper Mario series, which are in my opinion the top 3 Nintendo franchises story-wise. Coincidence? Nope.

As far as Wii-Ware how is Nintendo not last? Sony and Microsoft had theirs up since day one same as their online and Nintendo brought up the rear. Considering how online console gaming was started with Sega last gen and followed by Microsoft and then Sony last gen, it's sorta sad to see Nintendo still not have a well functioning online system in 2008. Sony's service is as free as Nintendo's but leans a lot more towards the quality of Xbox Live than Wii Connect 24(or whatever Nintendo calls their online). 

I was actually trying to say that Nintendo wasn't that far behind as switching to discs, but I failed badly at that.

Also Super Mario 64 had some voice acting in it. (Didn't Peach's voice actor read the letter at the beginning of the game?)

Brawl FC: 2106-1814-5245

Around the Network

I think a lot of you are mising the point. He is not saying that violent video games are bad, but he is saying that nintendo are providing something whole and pure for every age group, and that in it self helps kill the stigma about gaming today. Why do nintendo need to put an extensive story line in their games when every other company does already. The people who love story driven games are being catered for by about 90% of the industry so y complain about nintendo not offering story lines in their games. And to be fair apart from Metroid which still sold very well, nearly every nintendo made game has past the 1 mill mark, so thats proof enough that their types of games are still enjoyed by many.

When i think about zelda OOT, That game is still amazing to me right now, it didn't really have a strong story-line per-se, but it gave you your own adventure, and it seemed nearly every body who i have talked that played it, spoke about their own adventures with the game which were kinda different to mine, and to me thats the Mastery (is that a word) of Nintendo when they get things right. I enjoyed playing zelda TP, but it did not have the same feeling that OOT had, they listened to their fans too much, thus the game was missing soul, anyway thats my opinion.

Ps. Agreed on the fact that the people that say nintendo are for kids, are probably kids them selfs

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

nice read :)
Ninty combines nonviolence + fun into one package like no other

guild525 said:
Onyxmeth said:
guild525 said:

Hi guys!

F-Zero GX(2003)

I was actually trying to say that Nintendo wasn't that far behind as switching to discs, but I failed badly at that.

Also Super Mario 64 had some voice acting in it. (Didn't Peach's voice actor read the letter at the beginning of the game?)

If you're talking about discs then Nintendo is yet again in the rear. In fact, their stubborness with switching to discs cost them their market share and king of the hill status.

As far as Nintendo incorporating small amounts of voice acting in it's games, that's not what I'm talking about. It doesn't matter if one line is uttered in Peach's voice in Mario 64 or that the SEGA Genesis games had a voice yelling "SEGA!" before the title screen. I mean voice acting that tells the story as opposed to scrolling text or no story at all. Name for me all of the Nintendo games that use voice acting to tell the story and i'll name for you how long ago most other developers started implementing this in their games. 

Onyxmeth said:
guild525 said:
Onyxmeth said:
guild525 said:

Hi guys!

F-Zero GX(2003)

Also Super Mario 64 had some voice acting in it. (Didn't Peach's voice actor read the letter at the beginning of the game?)

If you're talking about discs then Nintendo is yet again in the rear. In fact, their stubborness with switching to discs cost them their market share and king of the hill status.

As far as Nintendo incorporating small amounts of voice acting in it's games, that's not what I'm talking about. It doesn't matter if one line is uttered in Peach's voice in Mario 64 or that the SEGA Genesis games had a voice yelling "SEGA!" before the title screen. I mean voice acting that tells the story as opposed to scrolling text or no story at all. Name for me all of the Nintendo games that use voice acting to tell the story and i'll name for you how long ago most other developers started implementing this in their games. 

But y does that matter, its not like nintendo don't have the tech to do it, they chose not to, and the day it does taking it toll on the games sales i am sure nintendo will include it. Are not satisfied with ever the other developers out there who do it? i really don't see ur argument

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

BornFirst. said:
But y does that matter, its not like nintendo don't have the tech to do it, they chose not to, and the day it does taking it toll on the games sales i am sure nintendo will include it. Are not satisfied with ever the other developers out there who do it? i really don't see ur argument

That's funny because I don't see your argument either. Of course I'm happy with the other developers that do it. Why should I not expect better out of Nintendo? Should they be the exception who can get away with these things? It doesn't matter if Nintendo does or doesn't have the tech to do it since they don't do it at all. The reasons are irrelevant. Actually it's worse that they have the means to do it and still don't.

Also why would I want to wait until Nintendo's sales dropped before they decided to further themselves in these areas? That's how they lost marketshare to first Sega and then massively to Sony. It was their stubborness against change.